Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

j.r fartley

Re: River Don 2010
« Reply #75 on: 01/06/2010 at 00:46 »
Fished the Don at Kemnay again tonight,lovely evening, few fish rising and not much in the way of fly life
one or two sedge on the go,blanked but had good fun getting my fly in the right place!  :cool:  

Noel Kelly

« Reply #76 on: 01/06/2010 at 21:58 »
Nice report Richard and great photo :z16 Interesting to hear about the growth of that trout. Any chance you could post the before and after pics for us to have a look?
I'm pretty sure the first decent fish I caught this year was one I was chasing most of last, same lie anyway.
I have found this year tougher than last, not seeing the same amount of bigger fish and finding them a bit fussy. The campaign resumes tomorrow evening.

Richard Tong

« Reply #77 on: 02/06/2010 at 00:06 »
Noel,

Here you go,

Richard

( edit = resize photos )

Ben Dixon

« Reply #78 on: 02/06/2010 at 00:21 »
Had a few days chasing salmon on the Don (sorry Richard) and has some reasonable success.

Monday I landed a nice 8lb fish from somewhere above Alford and lost another

Going back

Not a big fish but probably the most energetic salmon I have ever caught, I thought the fish was much bigger than it turned out to be, fought really hard.

Today I fished with Hamish, again, somewhere above Alford but a different somewhere to Monday and we also did quite well.

This fish came at the fly twice and I hooked it second time round

and another in the net!  These fish came within 30 minutes of each other in the morning but despite moving several other fish during the afternoon nothing else was hooked.  We were fishing fast sink tips on floating lines and a variety of different flies.

Cheers

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #79 on: 02/06/2010 at 15:22 »
What's with all this Salmon mullarkey :z8 :z7

Can't see the pictures yet (at work) but the fish seem to be coming thick and fast  :z15 :z15 :z15

Well done Mr D

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #80 on: 02/06/2010 at 17:52 »
Right I see the pictures now  :z16

very very nice indeed.  :mad

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #81 on: 02/06/2010 at 23:41 »
Just back from Inverurie.

Myself and Tommy the 2 weight went for a parambulate around the top end of the beat. Lots of sedge but very few fish showing and only two larger fish (1lb ish & 2lb plus). Fished the nymph and spider upstream for as long as my patience held out with the stupid green floater which is invisible to me never mind the fish (nice new psychadelic one on order).
moved up to the bottom of the boat pool where I'd seen one of the larger fish show. Just when I thought all hope was gone he took the nymph shot to the surface and threw the hook, ah well it bent the rod.
Slightly miffed I worked my way back to the car, stopping in my tracks on seeing the second of the larger fish rise twice in fairly quick succession.

Starting 10 yards upstream of him (It was getting dark so I wasn't putting on a sedge - it was nymph, spider or nothing) I worked my way down and when almost on him he took right on the initial swing.

After losing the 1lb fish I was really hoping to get him in the net and after three good leaps and runs he was busted.

3 1/2lb on the scale - best Don Brown for me so far this season and on the 2wt - magic but it's a thin line between success and failure

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #82 on: 02/06/2010 at 23:53 »
Well done Iain, glad that you got a decent trout after the hours you have been putting in lately  :z18
Just rewards as they say  :wink
One question though, up winged olives- Does anyone have any photos of up winged olive flies  ( dries) that are good for targeting fish on the said fly!
Thanks
Baz

Jim Eddie

« Reply #83 on: 03/06/2010 at 06:35 »
Well done Iain , patience rewarded, is that a Brown though not a Sea Trout / maybe its just the photo ?

Jim

Noel Kelly

« Reply #84 on: 03/06/2010 at 07:04 »
Well done Iain thats a great fish on a 2 weight :z16
Was out as well last night from about 8, explored a part of the beat I rarely fish. Loads of fly life including yellow mays, gnats, sedges and 2 types of spinners I guess olives. Didnt manage to get a close look at the spinners but there were 2 different sizes with the smaller one having a ruby colour. Males and females?

Nothing much happened until about 9.30 when a few smaller fish started rising. Couldnt see what they were taking so worked my way through a few different patterns with no success. 
Had a few touches on an olive spider fished dry but that was it.
Getting late at this stage so it was a case of be happy with what dry I had on and work my way back towards the car.
Wanted something I could be confident was floating so stuck on a black klink.

Heading back along the river I could see a few black headed gulls working the water up ahead, always a good sign. There were possibly 3 good fish rising at the tail of a big pool just in front of some rapids so had a few casts for what looked like the bigger one. Hooked it and it plunged straight down the rapids...adrenaline pumping battle followed  but quickly enough got it into the side and some calmer water. Beautiful brown that seemed to almost have a red colour in the fading light.
Net was tangled in  my wading stick and I was in danger of a trip down the rapids myself so didnt even try for a pic. As I was trying to untangel the net the fish had recovered enough to splash out into the fast water again and snapped the leader in a second :cry
Comparing its length to the rod it was about 22 inches so Im guessing about 4lbs. I was on a major high going home after that, my poor missus had to listen to lots of over excited babble and fish talk while I tried to wind down enough to get some sleep.  :z4 Even dreamt about it lol :z15

Iain Goolager

« Reply #85 on: 03/06/2010 at 07:24 »
Hi Jim.
the first time the fish leapt I thought it was a Sea-Trout but no it was a Brown.

Nice one Noel pity about the picture but that's the way it goes.

Even dreamt about it

Yeah me too.........Not!....... give yerself a shake man!  :z7 :z4 :z4

On call this week so doesn't look like I'll get out again for a few days :cry

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #86 on: 04/06/2010 at 06:51 »
Good night last night had 5 trout, best 2.8lbs the rest between 1/2 and 3/4 lbs all on a black klink. Will post a pic tonight, pic is pretty awful though.
Seen one other good fish move but it was moving randomly all over the pool, think I eventually lined it and put it down. Was best from about 10pm until 11.30. Loving these warm summer evenings we are getting long may they last.

Here ye go, a clear leader for the worst trout pic award

Noel Kelly

« Reply #87 on: 04/06/2010 at 21:45 »
Richard thanks for the pics, great as always :z16

Iain Cameron

« Reply #88 on: 05/06/2010 at 09:30 »
not been river fishing much this season, but finally managed my first decent brownie of 2010 yesterday. lower Don beat, near home.

not massive, at around a pound and half or so, but a fat and wonderfully red-spotted wee fella. returned safely to fatten further, a real treat to catch a wild fish like that and see it swim off.

no pics, taken on a bibio fished wet upstream (odd wind conditions!).

cheers,
iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #89 on: 10/06/2010 at 16:03 »
has anybody been out and about? I was hoping to get out tomorrow but I'm a bit worried the river will be coloured?  has anbody got any information?

cheers

Matt

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com