Re: River Don 2010
« Reply #45 on: 08/05/2010 at 08:34 »
Nice trout there Noel, very nice  :z16

:z3

Iain Goolager

« Reply #46 on: 08/05/2010 at 09:53 »
I knew it Noel! 
I was painting yesterday (didn't finish until 00:30) and the sun was shining and I said to her indoors " there's rising troot in them there hills, I'll bet Noel has a couple on the dry".
I though I'd get the full day at it today in return - big mistake!.....................just back from a stroll along the bank at Kintore with the loon and it's absolute baltic, so much so I don't think I'll bother.

Well done - nice Trout :z16

paavo

« Reply #47 on: 08/05/2010 at 13:16 »
Nice trout there Noel :z16 and a good pics.  :wink

//Harri

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #48 on: 08/05/2010 at 19:02 »
Just back from a few hours at Kintore. Parked at the bridge and walked upstream. Didnt see any fish moving so prospected with nymphs. Downstream wind was a bit of a pain. (i do love an excuse) :z7

I had one very small fish on a GRHE. Didnt move anything else. Was good to be out tho.  :z16

I saw alot of wee birds skimming the water at the bit where the stream comes in. Does this indicate something i should know about? Did i miss a hatch?  :z8

Will be back out on Monday for another go. :z18

Tight lines
Paul

Noel Kelly

« Reply #49 on: 08/05/2010 at 21:41 »
Hi Paul I was looking out for you today, Like Iain I'm also on house painting duty this weekend but I still stole 2 hrs on the river.
I was there from 1 til 3, it was blowing a hooley which made casting interesting but I searched for a sheltered spot and sure enough there was quiet a few fish rising.
Had 3 or 4 small fellas then saw what looked like it could be a better fish...it was  :z4 It took an olive paradun

Discovered I had parted company with my net so couldn't weigh it and the poor unfortunate found itself posing on the mud :z6 Think it liked it as it behaved itself which meant it was back in the water pronto.

Those small birds you saw were sand martins and swallows, they work a few areas of the river non stop. I have often seen them taking olives and the like and a few times have had one dip and touch my fly :z4
If you ever see the black headed gulls kicking up a big fuss and working the water in numbers head for that area asap :wink
There were a few olives hatching today but hard to see with the wind whipping up the surface.

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #50 on: 08/05/2010 at 22:10 »
Hi Noel, I must have just missed you. Got there about half three ish. Thats another cracking fish. :z16 Was that on the DHE?
Im heading back on Monday. Will hopefully get a bit less wind. You workin Mon?

Paul

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #51 on: 09/05/2010 at 02:03 »
Nice fish Noel  :z3
I love the first photo with the net, cracking picture mate :z18
nice to see the Scott getting bent . Making me homesick though :cry
keep it up :z16

sandy

Noel Kelly

« Reply #52 on: 09/05/2010 at 16:18 »
Hi Sandy, yeah good to get a bit of action after a dismal April, cant get enough of the river nowadays :grin After a pre season play with lines at Haddo I'm now using a Barrio DT6 on the scott. WF 5 works well also for me.

Paulfish  yeah working tomorrow... pm on the way...       

Jim Eddie

« Reply #53 on: 09/05/2010 at 19:17 »
Nice fish there Noel  :z15  :z16

:z18

Jim

Paul Rankine

« Reply #54 on: 10/05/2010 at 12:48 »
Hi Noel,
             That's a cracker in your  first pic . Well Done .  See how much happier he looks with no mud in his eye !  :wink

Paul.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #55 on: 11/05/2010 at 08:53 »
Hi folks :cool:

This Don Brownie was caught by Brian Reid on Saturday, in the Inverurie area.

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #56 on: 11/05/2010 at 09:44 »
I think it's a cracker! Give it a month or two to recover from it's spawning activities and that will be a serious fish.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #57 on: 11/05/2010 at 21:06 »
Aye thats a belter Gogs  :z15

:z18

Jim

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #58 on: 12/05/2010 at 01:46 »
Some cracking trout showing up :z16
Looking forward to seeing a few more

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #59 on: 15/05/2010 at 19:11 »
Missed a nice afternoon yesterday (painting again) but went to Kemnay today with a supreme confidence as the weather was glorious. I didn't tackle up at the car as I really wanted to to fish the dry but wasn't sure how long I'd have to wait for the first hatch.

After 15 min's sitting and watching the odd upwing I couldn't cage the beast any longer and threw on a couple of nymphs.

I stayed well clear of any potential likely 'big boy' lies  :z8 just incase a decent hatch fell over it later.  I managed to pick up a couple of 1/4 - 1/2lb fish and lose a silvery 3/4lber before having a rethink. A few more upwings were about without any serious surface activity so I opted for a Tungsten beaded GRHE and MB spider on the dropper. Walking upstream I stopped now and again at likely lies and had a throw or 30. Arriving at one nice spot the first cast showed that the leader needed de-greasing, I had another cast or two before giving myself a good talking to and reapplying mucilin on the tip of the line and sinkant to the leader - well 2 casts later the tip s bended to the side and I lifted into a nice brownie.

It weighed 3lb on the McLeans weigh net & took the MB Spider (barbless)

Upstream nymphing today was reasonably successful although I pulled a fly or two through textbook water with no reply. Oh well.

Still no great hatch or rises so I decided to head off as my ageing arthritic right arm was feeling the strain of upstream nymphing.

Will I get a decent fish on a dry soon?  :roll

Hope some decent fish were taken elsewhere on the dry.

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com