Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

Re: River Don 2010
« Reply #195 on: 18/09/2010 at 19:58 »
Got out today upstream of inverurie. Great conditions for it. I lost a fish. But the beat had eight fish! Great day out lots of fish showing. Should be a good back end!

Hamish Young

« Reply #196 on: 19/09/2010 at 12:07 »
Good news indeed  :z16

:z3

Noel Kelly

« Reply #197 on: 22/09/2010 at 21:11 »
Went down the river tonight armed with a rather large streamer. Seen two large trout taking fry but no pulls. It nearly makes me wanna  :cry to think there is only 2 weeks left in the brownie season.

Matt Henderson

« Reply #198 on: 01/10/2010 at 16:17 »
Managed about an hour and a bit today on the Don today.  I found the only bit of the beat was vaguely sheltered from the wind but an hour was enough.  The wind was swirling so what at one point as a downstream wind was an upstream wind within a few seconds which mid cast is more than a little disconcerting.  It was a day for double speys and circles/snap Ts.  Single spey casts were out because the anchor was blown away! Had one good pull, took a few yards of line and then nothing.  There's always tomorrow.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #199 on: 01/10/2010 at 21:47 »
Some success over the last three days.....

Fished on Wednesday for a few hours on the upper river without a touch from any salmon although I did get a nice trout of 3lb on a Sunray.

Yesterday on another upper beat we had a fish each and moved a few more, clarity was good when we turned up at about 12PM although the river was still raging through at over 2' above normal level.  Few pics from yesterday

Lee into a fish on the 6wt

And the fish, coloured hen fish of about 6lb

Fished today, weather was really grim but river was in perfect shape until it came up and coloured at about 3PM.  Managed two fish, both on pulled Sunrays.

Grim weather, rained hard all day.

First fish was a cock of 12lb, skillfully folded into the Maclean trout net by Lee

Second another cock of about 5.5lb.

If anyone is thinking of heading out tomorrow I would go fish as far up river as possible.  The river was fishable at the top end yesterday when it was bank high at Kintore & Inverurie.

Cheers

Ben

Barry Robertson

« Reply #200 on: 01/10/2010 at 22:01 »
I love hearing about all these fish on pulled sunrays  :wink
Good fishing Ben and a nice wee report  :z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #201 on: 02/10/2010 at 00:43 »
Looks like Lee enjoyed himself Ben ..... Great stuff :z16

Did you try any mouse imitations today? :z4

Cheers
Mike

Matt Henderson

« Reply #202 on: 03/10/2010 at 10:02 »
Cracking report Ben. Had a nice day fishing yesterday. Unfortunately I had already booked tickets for middle river. The water was dropping steadily and clearing too. But in reality still too high and coloured. It's hard work when you're copper tube gets stuck in bank side vegetation on the dangle because the water is up over the banks.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #203 on: 04/10/2010 at 22:43 »
Went out for a few hours today, had a few pulls but no hook ups.  Saw a good few fish that appeared to be running, was fishing near Kemnay and river was in good shape tomorrow looks to be a good day to be out although wind looks quite fierce.

Cheers
Ben

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #204 on: 12/10/2010 at 17:16 »
Finished work at 2 o'clock today and went to the Don for a few hours. Fished down through the first pool which took me about half an hour. Saw several fish moving.

Came out and two casts into the next pool i hooked and released this lively fish of about 7lb.

Sorry about the picture quality. Took them with my phone and a very shakey hand!

Tactics were intermediate tip on my windcutter and the wee fly i tied last night and posted in the tying section! :grin
It was the one with the UV enhancer in the tail/wing :wink

Now all i need is for Scotland to hump Spain and i've pretty much had the perfect day!  :z8 :z16

Tight lines
Paul

Jim Eddie

« Reply #205 on: 12/10/2010 at 17:27 »
Sorry to dissapoint Paul , but I think you have a snowballs chance in hell of having a good 2nd half of your day that you had in your 1st  :z4

Saying that you never know with Scotland , we could be world champions by the end of the evening  :z4 :z4 :z4

:z18

Jim  

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #206 on: 12/10/2010 at 19:24 »
Ha ha. I think you may be right Jim but fingers crossed!! :z18

Noel Kelly

« Reply #207 on: 12/10/2010 at 19:29 »
Well done Paul :z16 Come on Ireland......and Scotland :z4

Ben Dixon

« Reply #208 on: 12/10/2010 at 21:24 »
Nice fish Paul!!

Out again today above Alford......

Plenty of fish about, landed 4 and lost one, Will landed one & lost a few.  I'll get some pictires up later, all pics on Wills camera and all in RAW format just now.

Fish all came to Conns Sunay shadows stripped, 3 of my fish were on a full sinker.  All fish well kippered!!

Out again tomorrow, hopefully get more of the same.

Cheers

Ben

Matt Henderson

« Reply #209 on: 13/10/2010 at 07:24 »
Very nice fish paul! when will I get my one?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com