Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Re: River Don 2010
« Reply #180 on: 10/08/2010 at 09:18 »
Recently have seen a few large fish rocket high out of the water and drop back with an almighty splash. Only happens once and each time has been towards the head of the pool. Have seen it clearly twice and both looked like browns. Any ideas what this is about?
Also how likely is it that fresh sea trout are still coming into the river, had a chase from a fish of about 1.5lbs last night, bright silver.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #181 on: 10/08/2010 at 09:27 »
Nice pics Iain especially that emerging buzzer :z16

Iain Goolager

« Reply #182 on: 10/08/2010 at 09:39 »
Thanks Noel, the buzzer was taken while moving away from me in the slow current and from a fuhrer distance than I would have liked (by the time I got the camera out and switched the settings,etc.)

Really wished I'd a bandy net and a decent camera as the fly life was amazing - I'd really like to be able to see photo's of the sedges in flight as I think you'd get a better feel for their colours, shape & possibly, species.

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #183 on: 10/08/2010 at 10:16 »
Superb Iain,

Brave using 8x tippet mate  :grin  I think that caddis is a sandfly, not got the latin name to hand.  Nice pics.

Cheers

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #184 on: 10/08/2010 at 10:42 »
I took his picture as he stood out from the crowd. I was looking at the ADAA fly calendar last night and I did wonder about the Sand Fly - purely from it being a sandy colour perspective which is hardly scientific  :z4 (I guess if you are from Tennerife then it's not sandy coloured  :oops).                          Rhyacophila Dorsalis

I just thought that I'd give the fine tippet a bash and as the fly was tied on a size 20 OE nymph emerger hook, which is very 'pliable', I knew that I'd be taking things easy - although everthing was fine I think I'll stick to a min of 8X................but it was fun.

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #185 on: 13/08/2010 at 10:42 »

I can't quite beleive that nobody has commented on this.  Iain WTF is that you are wearing?  Have you been raiding the bargain bin at your local tweed shop?

(It's good to be back!)

Matt

Jim Eddie

« Reply #186 on: 13/08/2010 at 11:09 »
Matt

You think thats bad you should see him in the Burberry one  :z4 :z4 :z4

:z18

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #187 on: 13/08/2010 at 12:03 »
Laugh away you dweebs - It won't look so funny when I'm wearing it & cradleing some awesome Salmonoids.
 :z7
Matt, are you still wearing your Pietro Del Adonis fishing waistcoat?

Nice!

Fishin' Chav

Matt Henderson

« Reply #188 on: 15/08/2010 at 20:04 »

Matt, are you still wearing your Pietro Del Adonis fishing waistcoat?

Eh? I have no idea what you mean. 

I'm more of a man at george type of man myself.  Although I am known to cut a dash in a skirt.. :wink

Iain Goolager

« Reply #189 on: 17/08/2010 at 18:19 »
Out last night and there was a reasonably steady showing of fish in the 1/2 - 1lb bracket with two or three larger fish showing over the other bank  :z8

Casting was a little tricky especially with the high veg & a steep bank behind. I'm positive the fish could see my fly so something must have been wrong!
Dropping to 2.75lb OSS tippet I fished with a little more confidence, for a while. :z6

When all seemed lost I threw the fly at a rising fish which landed 20" or so upstream of it's rise then bang FINALLY one was on. He was a fine golden fish of about 1 1/4lb. I did take a couple of photo's but when trying to download them yesterday the SD card played up and I pressed re-configure or something and they were wiped.................silly boy.

So you'll have to make do with the fly

I trolled the banks as the evening wore on but there wasn't anything within my presentation capabilities to aim for.
Moving back to where I caught the first fish I saw one worth tackling. Fading light and a small fly had me guessing where the fly was and lifting on every rise. Just when I was considering retiring to the fridge another fine Trout sipped down the fly, this time he was smaller at about 3/4lb but a nice way to build up thirst.

Iain

John Reid

« Reply #190 on: 17/08/2010 at 23:06 »
Decided to go out tonight to try out my new rod and reel as I couldn't wait to get out (literally was like a kid with a new toy).

Was a fair few fish rising about 8pm but I was not having any luck with big fish but got one around 1/2 lb on a size 20 midge.  When it was getting grey dark I changed to an olive Klink (size 16) which  tempted my best brownie ever , I estimated it at just over 3lb.  I thought I had covered a smaller fish but after its first run I knew I was into something good.  I am still beaming from ear to ear as it put up a fight Tyson would be proud of.  I was also really happy with the mirage reel as the drag was really easily to adjust when playing the fish.

I must admit I was nervous as I was on 6x tippet and a 12 foot leader which was in and out the eyes and I had visions of it going twang.

I am away to ebay to get myself a cheap camera to keep in the waistcoat pocket as the iphone is useless in the dark.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #191 on: 17/08/2010 at 23:19 »
Hi John,

What rod did you buy?

Well done with the Brownie  :z16 Yes a camera is a must.
Sometimes it's very difficult to tell the size of the fish by the rise and to begin with I'd cover anything that you KNOW isn't a parr.

Well done again with a great Brownie on the dry.

Iain

John Reid

« Reply #192 on: 20/08/2010 at 07:49 »
Managed to get out yesterday afternoon in the sunshine for some peace and quiet at Kinaldie.  There was not a lot rising, i managed one small fella about 3/4 lb which really brightened up my day.  I even managed a picture on my phone before I stuck him back.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #193 on: 20/08/2010 at 18:28 »
Pictures at last - nice Trout Johnny :z16

Reel's ok too I guess  :z4

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #194 on: 14/09/2010 at 22:12 »
Got out today for a few hours.....

Lost a salmon at the net, another one after about 2 mins fight and moved several to Sunrays, none of which were hooked.  No fish on the bank but good fun, plenty of fish about just now.  May get a few hours in tomorrow afternoon too  :grin

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com