Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Re: River Don 2010
« Reply #165 on: 21/07/2010 at 08:37 »
Hi John, no we were fishing further up-river.

garry john

« Reply #166 on: 21/07/2010 at 20:52 »
well done noel :z16 :z15

John Reid

« Reply #167 on: 23/07/2010 at 13:05 »
Was down looking at the water half an hour ago at Inverurie and it looks to be coming down nicely.  I'm off out tonight again to Fintray.  Hopefully it will be a good night with plenty of insect life.

I am breaking out the old vice this afternoon and going to attempt some small Klinks' like Ben had on Sunday.  :z2

Anyone else out tonight?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #168 on: 29/07/2010 at 00:12 »
Had a great evening on the river last night in good company, didn't catch anything, but it was great fun watching my fly work it's way beautifully down towards me. I fully expected a take at any minute .... it just didn't happen! :z4

Managed to stay clear of the trees this time ..... Bonus! :z3

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #169 on: 02/08/2010 at 20:21 »
So I been away for a week and was looking forward to reading about all the great fishing I was missing ??? Iain, Ben etc any action to report?

Iain Goolager

« Reply #170 on: 02/08/2010 at 23:38 »
Not really Noel,

been out a few times and tried to fish the dry almost religiously.

rose & pricked quite a few fish but only two were in the over 1 1/2 lb bracket  :cry

quite a few 1/2 - 3/4 lb fish on the go which is nice on a light three but I've not witnessed a decent rise for a couple of weeks.

All quiet on the western front.

Iain

John Reid

« Reply #171 on: 03/08/2010 at 08:25 »
I was out on Friday night but was more focused on my casting technique after my casting lesson (thanks Ben).

Like Iain I was fishing dries as well and my best fish was about 3/4 lb but there were plenty of small fish going about and avoiding them was the problem but good fun. Caught the majority on a size 18 black klinkhammer.

I have been finding that there has been a good rise just as the bats come out for about 20 mins then all goes quiet.

There was a few big fish moving at Kinaldie but all I never even managed a rise from any of them  :cry

I am off out tonight again as the wife is in Glasgow  :grin

Ben Dixon

« Reply #172 on: 03/08/2010 at 23:24 »
Hi Noel,

Not been out much really, last serious day I had was our salmon day.  Fished tonight, river kicked off nicely.  Good spinner fall several different caddis species coming off.  Nothing big but lots of fish in the 1lb - 1.5lb class, threw at a nice trout but put it down with a bad cast and it did not come back up again  :mad fish were still going at about 10:30 but with the colud it was getting too dark to see anything.
Away for a chuck at the salmon tomorrow, saw a few of them splashing about tonight as it was getting dark. 

Cheers

Ben

John Reid

« Reply #173 on: 03/08/2010 at 23:37 »
I'm just back in from Kinaldie and had a good night out.  Got one fish tonight about 1lb with a size 18 midge.  There was a topper of a fish moving right in the middle a big pool but I could not get near it without the fly dragging.  I also moved a really nice fish but I think it only wanted to get my heart rate up.  :z7

The tapered leader I got today definitely improved the presentation of the dry fly.  The lightning show I seen on the way home was also pretty impressive  :grin

Ben Dixon

« Reply #174 on: 04/08/2010 at 00:00 »
Good stuff John, same issue with the drag tonight, there were a few fish at the bottom end of the beat moving mid river but it was getting dark and the pool is a deep wade, seems it has change a good bit since I last tried to wade it, was a sand bar on my bank that you dropped onto, seems to have disappeared and I could not get in at last years access point, will need to wade it in day light.

Missed the lightening  :roll

Cheers

Ben

Noel Kelly

« Reply #175 on: 04/08/2010 at 07:55 »
Was also out last night, what a difference a week and a half has made it was dark at 10.30 whereas last time i didnt come off the river until midnight:cry loads of surface activity on the pool i chose, some huge sedges about including the biggest I have seen on the don.
There were several fish feeding on the surface including a few in the less than 1lb category one a bit bigger and one a lot bigger.
Of course both better fish were out of reach so I eventually went for one of the smaller rises which was a lively 3/4 lbr which jumped a few times and put everything in the pool down and they stayed down :z10
Feckin fish.
Didnt see any lightning ???

John Reid

« Reply #176 on: 04/08/2010 at 14:37 »
Did you get the fish on a sedge Iain?  Maybe it was a UFO I spotted over Udny!!!!  :z6 :shock

I am just en route to the Ythan at Ellon to try for brown trout but anyone I have spoken to so far has no experience of them on.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #177 on: 04/08/2010 at 15:55 »
John, I am not An Chuellioggs

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #178 on: 04/08/2010 at 16:30 »
Hi John :z4 black klink with orange thorax size 16 always picks up one or 2 when they are feeding hard. TBH I don't think fly choice matters that much, its more getting something edible and natural looking to come into their field of vision which can be quiet small when they are high in the water.   

Iain Goolager

« Reply #179 on: 10/08/2010 at 09:16 »
Had a couple of hours t'other night.

Multitude of Sedge species flying about over the water and some large buzzers emerging too but very  few rises.

3 bigger boys showed face infrequently but were too far to reach from the bank & wading, even in this low water, was impossible.

Had to satisfy myself with covering reachable fish in the 1/2 - 1 lb range. Which was frustrating in calm water so I opted for fishing a micro caddis on 1.75lb Orvis double strength tippet.

A couple of casts at a decent ringed rise seen this welcome blighter sip down the fly.

Quite challenging but still exciting.

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com