Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Re: River Don 2010
« Reply #15 on: 25/04/2010 at 02:13 »
Water was slightly raised today and not much of a rise despite a long sparse olive hatch. Got the only riser that I saw which was under 1lb but a lovely wee trout none the less.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #16 on: 25/04/2010 at 13:29 »
Out with the bandynet in the 'forenoon

In the afternoon I had a short spell with the singlehander and weighted tube then seen Noel hook and play a nice Brownie, went home and returned to a limited hatch of Olives. Moved location and was greeted with a good hatch of Olives which went about unhindered from below, after 1/2 an hour MB's turned up & even began to pop up right where I was sitting, amazing although they only lasted half an hour (finished @ 16:56).

Their arrival did stirr two small fish - managed to get one of them - although small he was very welcome.

We're getting there.

Iain
Water temp was 7.2 Deg.C

Paul Rankine

« Reply #17 on: 25/04/2010 at 20:43 »
Hi Iain,
             You are just such a show off with that new camera!   Seriously good pics mate.
Baetid nymph,stonefly nymph and adult female stonefly with egg cluster ?

Nice to hear that you are catching insects now ,water still low temperature but give it another two weeks or so  and they will be slurping .  :z4

Paul.

Irvine Ross

« Reply #18 on: 26/04/2010 at 09:38 »
On the Cooncil beat at Alford on Saturday there was maybe a half dozen March Browns at about 15:30, otherwise no signs of any other insect life and no trout showing. No silver tourists either.

More patience required I think :z8

Irvine

Mike Barrio

« Reply #19 on: 27/04/2010 at 22:38 »
Hi folks :z16

Looks like the upper river is fishing well at the moment, I've heard of some cracking brownies being caught at Kildrummy on Olives, Greenwells and March Browns :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #20 on: 28/04/2010 at 01:14 »
Nice piccies iain :z16

the Baetis at the top looks very much like another BWO
and the central stonefly nymph could well be a yellow Sally
lovely shots.
Sometimes I really miss being at home :cry
I think I could stomach the weather just to have access to my river
funny how life teaches you what is important.
So all I need to do is wait patiently until Daniel
finishes school :wink and then take it from there.

Looking forward to more reports as the bugs come to life :z16

sandy

Noel Kelly

« Reply #21 on: 28/04/2010 at 06:54 »
Hi folks :z16

Looks like the upper river is fishing well at the moment, I've heard of some cracking brownies being caught at Kildrummy on Olives, Greenwells and March Browns :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Good to hear, conditions have been ideal last few days. Wind is swinging around to the north again tomorrow or friday though :mad
Should I go for a half day from work today I wonder....

turracoo

« Reply #22 on: 28/04/2010 at 08:56 »
Hi Folks
            First day on the don yesterday decided to take a half day off my work as the conditions i though were good when i arrived at the river i noticed a constant trickle of dark olives and march browns and the odd stonefly.

My day ended up with 6 fish with one round about the 4lb mark i missed quite a few probably because i had to make do with my 7wt rod as i left my 3wt at home (duh)

Great start to the season long may it continue' I've send mike the picture of the bonnie troot so it should be on here Later.

:z18
Chris
Tight lines

Noel Kelly

« Reply #23 on: 28/04/2010 at 10:05 »
Good stuff Chris, its good to see the bigger fish are coming out to play. I had the same thought yesterday but stayed at work :cry 

Matt Henderson

« Reply #24 on: 28/04/2010 at 10:07 »
nice fish that!  I wish I didn't have to stay at home and wait for B&Q to deliver furniture on friday....

Paul Rankine

« Reply #25 on: 28/04/2010 at 19:08 »
Hi Chris,
               That's a nice start to the season. Not preaching but do you really need to take the fish out of the water and lay it on the grass to take a picture ? Not good for the fish at all . I,m assuming you are C+R .

Paul.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #26 on: 28/04/2010 at 19:29 »
Hi Paul, what would you suggest as a better way of taking a pic? I have tried loads of different ways and cant find a better way than out onto a grassy surface, rod down for scale, quick pic and back in the water.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #27 on: 28/04/2010 at 19:46 »

Sorry Paul,
you've obviously got fishing mates that can assist in these matters - I, on the other hand, am a leper :oops

Iain

turracoo

« Reply #28 on: 28/04/2010 at 21:05 »
Hi paul
           I know its not the greatest way to take a picture of a fish'But fishing myself was the only way i thought i could get a scale size of the fish next to my rod.

Usually i,m fishing with someone and they can take the picture in the water'when handling the fish i'm very careful and try and keep the fish out the water for the least time possible.

I C&R all my brown trout and the fish in question was out of the water no more than 30 secs'The fish was released to fight another day :z16

Chris

Noel Kelly

« Reply #29 on: 28/04/2010 at 21:06 »
Iain ya leper that's a lump of a fish, recent or reminiscing?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com