Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Re: River Don 2010
« Reply #120 on: 24/06/2010 at 08:09 »
Noel,

I couldn't get out last night (blinkin' kids) and decided to head out early this morning ..........................ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ slept in  :z10,

Early morning fishing is great though - looks like you are having fun.

Iain

Michael Buchan

« Reply #121 on: 24/06/2010 at 13:17 »
Had a crack after work last night ended up getting a surprise seatrout about 2.5Lb.  Got him on a tunsten headed ginger biot nymph fished down and accross after returning it got another good take 2 casts almost in the same spot later but missed it.

Brownies never really played ball so ended up moving to Kintore fished there from 10:30-11:30 few nice fish rising around 11 but tailed off quite quick.  Good night to be out though.

Michael

Iain Goolager

« Reply #122 on: 24/06/2010 at 14:25 »
Nice Sea-Trout Mike.  :z16

Nice to play on the Sage SP too.

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #123 on: 25/06/2010 at 01:06 »
Went out to try my new 3wt GT140 tonight on the lower Don

had a couple of 3/4lb'ers on a spider pattern & a 3 1/4lb Sea-Trout that removed all the new line and 10' of backing as it slipped between pools and had me clambering over rocks for 50 yards. It took a grey sedge dry fly  :z16

spoke to a great old guy who fishes dry spiders/ traditionals on his old split cane rod - he had caught and released a few nice trout.

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #124 on: 25/06/2010 at 09:26 »
Just home from a morning session after nightshift. Once again lost the best fish of the session which I hooked on a sedge type thingy, this is becoming an annoying habit recently. Was pretty gutted but after switching over to across and down wets, spiders and nymphs I couldn't go wrong. Must have had 20 fish, it was a fish a cast in a few areas. Fished every bit of the river and was pulling fish out of the most unlikely places. Great fun.
Right bedtime for me :z18 

emerger

« Reply #125 on: 25/06/2010 at 11:59 »
An Chuileog,

That's good your having some fun in the early mornings, i've often witnessed some good early morning rises whilst out fishing for salmon. That's a pity you have lost some decent trout recently, what hooks are you using?? I like to use hooks with an offset bend or if the hooks aren't already offset I will sometimes do it at the vice before tying.

Scott C

Noel Kelly

« Reply #126 on: 25/06/2010 at 15:05 »
Hi Scott, I don't tie so no idea. Its not something that I would normally worry about but its just that its happened last 2 mornings on good fish.
I have heard of offsetting the hook before but never tried it. I will now, cheers :z16 

Steven Kidd

« Reply #127 on: 26/06/2010 at 00:06 »
Hi all,

Can someone tell me why the best trout rise in the most dangerous wading places........under a tree where you can hardly cast.......and in the black dark?....

Just back from the lower Don, I think I found the place that owesn Iain a mobile phone and a digital camera!.....some absolute cracking trout in there.

Good sedge hatch as well.............

Noel Kelly

« Reply #128 on: 26/06/2010 at 09:12 »
Was on the river this morning before 3. Not many fish rising, had a few on drys best approx 1lb as I was playing it the one I had been waiting for rose nearby but just once.
Heard and saw a huge splash in a deep back eddy, a salmon I guess :z8 similar big splash in the same area yesterday.
Any suggestions on how to tempt it?
Switched to down and across pulling which worked so well yesterday morning and had about half a dozen more but nothing like the activity yesterday. Guess the bright sunshine from sunrise was taking its toll.
My best pair of maui jim sunglasses went for a swim as well  :mad of course the lanyard was on my £5 pair that were safely tucked away in the car :z8     

Matt Henderson

« Reply #129 on: 26/06/2010 at 10:05 »
I managed a few hours on the middle don yesterday.  Sadly I couldn't negotiate for a late pass so it was mid afternoon in the hot sun.  There were quite a few splashy fish rising probably salmon or sea trouts. Managed to winkle out a few trout the biggest about maybe 3/4lbs.    Fished a nymph on the point and then a spider on the dropper.  Sadly left the camera in the car. 

Also wore my pair of prescription sunglasses yesterday for the first time.  Magic!  Able to see the little trouts playing round about my feet in the water! 

Iain Goolager

« Reply #130 on: 29/06/2010 at 10:55 »
Out last night - which is not good on a schoolnight as getting up this morning was a drag - old age nathat.

Had quite a few fish in the 3/4 - 1 1/4 lb bracket which was nice on nimpfs n spiders but dry fly sport was good although very limited. managed one at 1 1/2lb and lost (here we go) a nice fish in the 3lb + range  :oops

Life's too short to be watching fitba.

Iain

emerger

« Reply #131 on: 30/06/2010 at 00:22 »
Nice meeting you tonight Iain, Would I be right in saying there was a run of Rainbow trout on the don tonight???

Iain Goolager

« Reply #132 on: 30/06/2010 at 00:55 »

Nice meeting you too Scott (and your interesting flybox).

Yes the Steelhead were running  :grin

Pity that I couldn't muster any Sea-Trout or big Browns.

Anyone willing to share a decent sedge pattern? Here's my generic one but I felt that the profile or something wasn't right tonight, had to revert to a big Klink.

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #133 on: 30/06/2010 at 06:23 »
Rainbows on the Don??? Rate you are going Iain I wouldn't be surprised to see a grayling next or a mackerel :z16 Have bows been caught before? If these are sea run fish then they would make super eating right? I want one.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #134 on: 01/07/2010 at 00:33 »
Just home from the river and an excellent night. I have often wondered where were all the 1-1.5lb fish but I found them tonight. Landed about 1/2 dozen in the lb+ bracket in a 15 min period. As is becoming the norm for me lately I lost the best fish of the night, got broken off on a possible 3lbr.. Met a guy who has fished the beat since the 70's who had returned a 5lbr which he had on wets.
Most fish I have ever seen rising but I was having a major tangle night. No rainbows, grayling or pollock to be seen.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com