Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

River Don 2010
« on: 29/03/2010 at 22:48 »
Please use this thread to post your Don reports for the 2010 season, trout, salmon or sea trout.  Hatch information, successful patterns, tackle & tactics.  Please be responsible when reporting and do not give away exact locations of fish, general area or beat name is fine providing the beat is big enough and not just a pool or two. 

Cheers

Ben

Noel Kelly

Re: River Don 2010
« Reply #1 on: 03/04/2010 at 16:10 »
First visit to Kintore beat today, water 1.4 above the marker and a bit coloured. Few olives started to appear at 1.30 and still a few at 2.30 when I left. Didn't see or hear any fish rising and no action to report. Nice to be out by the river again. The winter floods have made a lot of changes so there will be a lot of new features to explore this year. 

Irvine Ross

« Reply #2 on: 11/04/2010 at 16:56 »
I was out on the Don around Glenkindie yesterday. The river is still high but the water is clear. Water temperature 70C.
No hatches to report but I did see 4-5 insects on the wing which might have been sedges but they did not come close enough to be certain. I was prospecting with a grhe under a humpy hoping for a take on the nymph when a nice 2lb brownie came out of nowhere and took the dry fly. The only fish of the day.

Irvine

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 12/04/2010 at 12:37 »
Hi Irvine,

Nice one  :z16 That's a good fish to start the Trout season.

The water temp @ Kemnay on Friday was reputed to be 6 deg. C.

Roll on the weekend ------splooosh! fish on!  :z15

Iain

:z18

Noel Kelly

« Reply #4 on: 14/04/2010 at 19:01 »
That's a great start Irvine  :z16

Anybody been out this week or any rising fish to report? I may have a bash on friday.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 15/04/2010 at 23:58 »
Was out tonight with the salmon rod.....

Landed a 12lb liced fish, lost another at the bank about 7lb and briefly had hold of a third.  All fish on a Conn's Sunray Shadow fished on a 15' 6ips tip on the front of a Skagit flight  :grin

May go out again tomorrow!!

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 16/04/2010 at 00:01 »
Was out tonight with the salmon rod.....

Landed a 12lb liced fish, lost another at the bank about 7lb and briefly had hold of a third.  All fish on a Conn's Sunray Shadow fished on a 15' 6ips tip on the front of a Skagit flight  :grin

May go out again tomorrow!!

Cheers

Ben

Cool, sounds like fun ........ but did you get any brownies? :z13

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 16/04/2010 at 09:15 »
 :z15 :z15

Result!

Well done Ben

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #8 on: 16/04/2010 at 16:56 »
My first trip to Kintore this year today. The water was a good height. I lost a fish on my second cast. It took the fly just as I was stripping in the line to cast. I had one trout but sadly they don't count on the double hander.

Still nice to be out and on the river.

Cheers

Matt

Iain Goolager

« Reply #9 on: 16/04/2010 at 20:42 »
Looks like I missed the best of the weather as it got quite windy later on.

Also hooked into a fish which hit the surface and threw the hook  :z6

No Browns rising but I hooked two on the Green & Black both of which decided it'd be more desirable to spit out the hook than be cuddled by me  :z8

Weather improving (well a bit), water levels dropping, clarity improving  :z16 c'mon the Troot

I'm sure the posts will be reflecting decent catches soon.  :z3

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #10 on: 23/04/2010 at 16:15 »
Well the trout were rising today at long last. Steady trickle of LDO,s from about 12.30 but the trout didn't really switch onto them until after 2 which coincided with the wind making an appearance. It seemed that the wind pushed the olives into lanes making some areas more attractive whereas earlier it was more a case of one here and there.
After hooking and loosing 2 in a row I finally landed my first of the season, quickly followed by another 5 or 6, all little guys.
I saw one fish of 2/3 lbs rise just once but I'm not sure it was a trout. Looked quiet dark.
The fish seemed to be in poorer condition that I have seen before on The Don.
I was absolutely frozen at this stage so called it a day about 3.
Good to catch some brownies again. :z18

Michael Buchan

« Reply #11 on: 23/04/2010 at 20:29 »
Well done,

Sounds like a good day.

Michael

Iain Goolager

« Reply #12 on: 23/04/2010 at 23:21 »
Uninspired by the weather this afternoon I grabbed the double hander and resigned myself to another day on the Don without the 3wt.

At about 1:30pm I was at the water ready to fish and there was a trickle of Olives. Half an hour or so later the water was full of them, amazing hatch which was constant for easily 1 1\2 hours. I spent a good while sitting on the bank waiting for rising Trout - there were six rises? possibly from 3 fish???? It was a cold and wet afternoon but I'm still amazed by the lack of response from the Trout.

Only managed one poor photo as I didn't want to get my camera wet :z6

look familiar Noel?
Hopefully tomorrow I'll get out with the 4wt, a couple of dries & the camera.

Iain 

Iain Goolager

« Reply #13 on: 23/04/2010 at 23:23 »
Forgot to say Browns can still be had on heavy tubes and fast sinking tips  :cry

Noel Kelly

« Reply #14 on: 24/04/2010 at 00:14 »
Spill the info Iain!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com