Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Kidd

In search of a new trout toy.......
« on: 29/03/2010 at 21:35 »
Hi all, it has been a while since my last post I know however I am back in full fishing mode now that the winter has cleared.......

I am at the moment searching through countless catalogues etc as I am looking at getting myself a new 3wt, just as an alternative to my trusty 9ft 3wt batson rainshadow, Does anyone have any advice or experiences of the following rods:

£200 - £300

Sage Flight 8'6" 3wt
Loop Evotec 9' 3wt
Loop Yellow Line 8'3" 3wt
Hardy Lightweight 7' 3wt

£300 - £400
Guideline Fario 8'6" 3wt
Scott G2
Loop Opti Creek
Marryat Tactical
Orvis Hydros 8'4" 3wt
Orvis Trout Bum 7'6" 3wt

I can't seem to find any good magazine reviews on 3wt's anywhere, so any shared experiences or suggestions would be welcome.......after all it is real hard to choose froma catalogue....

Cheers,

Skidd

Ben Dixon

Re: In search of a new trout toy.......
« Reply #1 on: 29/03/2010 at 22:05 »
Hi Skidd,

You seem to be settled on a 3wt, where do you see yourself using it most often?  I'd have a think about that and narow the length of the rod down a bit then draw up another short list.

There was a review in T&S a few years back of several light line / brook rods but most featued are now obsolete.  I'll drop you a PM when the 3wt Hydros arrives.

Cheers

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 29/03/2010 at 22:11 »

Guideline Fario 8'6" 3wt

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 29/03/2010 at 22:16 »
Hi Steve,

never even held one and 'aint got the cash but I want one.

Iain

Irvine Ross

« Reply #4 on: 30/03/2010 at 08:35 »
Steve

I have the 8'8" Scott G2 that I built myself on an imported blank. I like it because it is very light and has an easy action. Ben Dixon will tell you it is too soft. :z7

If you are passing by Dinnet you are welcome to give it a try.

Irvine

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 30/03/2010 at 11:12 »
Steve

I have the 8'8" Scott G2 that I built myself on an imported blank.
Ben Dixon will tell you it is too soft. :z7

Irvine

Wobbly, sloppy, noodle.......  :z4

Ben

Steven Kidd

« Reply #6 on: 30/03/2010 at 19:46 »
Thanks guy's for the opinions.........

Iain, I do like that fario handle, it looks nice.......no idea how they cast though.

wibbly wobbly noodle, haha, I love it!

but I'll keep an open mind, thanks for the offer to try the G2, I'll maybe give you a PM and try the noodle soon!, lol.

As i'll mainly be fishing the Don, I'm probably best sticking to something over 8', bearing in mind I do have a 9ft rod when needed, its also a full actioned rod which likes leisurely casting, so maybe i'll look for a faster actioned toy for a change....

Cheers,

Skidd

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #7 on: 30/03/2010 at 21:42 »
Have a look at the greys streamflex mate. I have the 4 weight but im sure they do a #3. Its a bit cheaper than the others suggested but i really like mine.  :z16

Steven Kidd

« Reply #8 on: 04/04/2010 at 22:00 »
Hi all,

Visited Glasgow Angling Centre today and managed to narrow my list down a little........I tried the following rodswhich were a mixed bag for comparison:

1.  Sage Flight 8'6" 3wt...........not bad but felt more like a 4wt, fast action, did not feel very delicate at all.
2.  Hardy Uniqua 7'6" 3wt.......not good at all, could not feel the rod load and unload, lacked feel.
3.  Guidline Fario 8'6" 3wt.......was really impressed by this, it can carry an astonishing amount of line for a 3wt, I felt like it totally flattered my casting ability, could roll cast and had great turnover even up at near 60feet!!, really liked this rod.

Just a few more to try........

Cheers,

Skidd

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com