Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Oh for heavens sake......
« on: 27/03/2010 at 23:52 »
She who must be obeyed made an interesting observation today..... I've not been fishing this year  :shock
Not once have I wet a line, lobbed a fly at a fish or even threatened to have a go for a spring salmon -  I mean WTF :? This is a record, and not a good one  :oops
This simply isn't on and must be remedied ASAP, I'm going to have next Friday for a cast I think - but where :?

Hmmm, rubs chin and thinks about using new fishing toys that need to get an airing :wink
Roll on Friday  :z15

:z3

Peter McCallum

Re: Oh for heavens sake......
« Reply #1 on: 28/03/2010 at 09:47 »
Me too Hamish. Maybe Haddo for me on saturday or the Don on Monday...........

clark

« Reply #2 on: 29/03/2010 at 22:44 »
I'm headed for haddo on sturday :)  :z16

Calum

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: 29/03/2010 at 23:06 »
I'm headed for haddo on sturday :)  :z16

Calum

Hope you've got a sledge

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 02/04/2010 at 19:19 »
So I made it to Haddo today for my first outing of the season - after a coffee or three with catman and mein host it was off onto the (not so warm) water for a play.
Tough start to be honest, connected with two fish (broken on one - doh  :mad) but by lunchtime things were warming up and fish were to be seen about the place. Relocated to a new spot and chucked out a prototype fly on my favoured New Zealand dropper set up and BANG something mighty big took hold. The trusty Winston was bent double and yards and yards of line rattled out of the rings, an epic 15 minutes later a very large 'bow about 15 maybe 16lbs was in the net.
Nice way to start the season  :wink
Next cast brought a lovely overwintered fish of about 3lbs to the dry - nice  :grin
Two casts later and everything went very solid again and something tore off determined to get to the Ythan - result about 15 minutes later was another 'bow (a real beauty) around the 11lb mark.
Stopped for a coffee as to be honest I was a wee bit shaky, hell of a start to the season etc etc.
2 doubles in the space of an hour plus a bonus fish to the dry - couldn't get much better could it :?
Yup - it did :z4
Despite having a couple of flies (including the protoype) well and truly munched by the fish I carried on and (without boring everyone) I had another 17 fish all over Haddo including another 2 doubles.
Ya beauty :cool: :cool: :cool:
Hell of a day, and a great great way to start the season.
Thanks Mr B, thank you very much indeed  :z16

A very happy.....

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 02/04/2010 at 20:29 »
Nice one Hamish, :z16

What weight is your Winston? (line weight, Mr Fascetioushness). Just wondering as I'd like to try the 2wt at Mikes but scared to contact something in a silly size.

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 02/04/2010 at 21:21 »
Hi Hamish :z16

I'm chuffed you enjoyed your fishing, here's a couple of photos from today ............

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #7 on: 02/04/2010 at 21:49 »
Good stuff Hamish its great to come back to fishing after a break and remember all over again how much you love it :z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 02/04/2010 at 23:09 »
Nice one Hamish, :z16

What weight is your Winston? (line weight, Mr Fascetioushness). Just wondering as I'd like to try the 2wt at Mikes but scared to contact something in a silly size.

Iain

B11X 5wt - built for me by Sandy  :z13 Boy did it bend today  :shock

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 04/11/2022 at 15:22 »
Still smiling twelve years later Hamish  :?

Hamish Young

Re: Oh for heavens sake...... New
« Reply #10 on: 05/11/2022 at 12:51 »
Strewth.... well, that was a red-letter day, but was it really a decade and a bit ago :? :! The memory makes me smile Mr B  *smiley-wink*

May have to exercise my trout gear and get out for a 'bow outing soon  >)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com