Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

cerbfan

Coarse lake update
« on: 22/03/2010 at 06:33 »
Morning or any of you interested in coarse as well as game fishing. You may remember that I was interested in opening a coarse fishery at some point in the future. Well I have now purchased some land and hope to get the planning underway soon. It will only be a small half acre or so pond so nothing major. I am currently undecided whether to just keep it for a private fishery for myself and family / friends or allow day tickets or have a small syndicate paying a yearly charge.

The pond will be close to Peterhead, and will be designed properly around coarse fishing with the aid of a fishery consultant, so 6' deep or so with proper margins and features to fish to. I aim to stock it as a mixed fishery not just stuff it full of Carp but I do intend to put some double figure Carp in as well as Tench, Bream, Roach, Perch, Rudd and maybe some Ide and Chub oh and Gudgeon as well so there will always be something to catch in the depths of winter.

It won't be quick however, I envisage all the planning to take most of this year, hopefully get it dug towards the end of the year and the rest of the area landscaped. Will then need to leave it a year or so to naturalise so I guess Winter 2011/12 before stocking can take place.

Would be good to gauge the interest before I decide whether to open it up or keep it private though.

P.s. I might be slow at responding to any emails I've got a busy next few weeks with various things but I'll try and get back onto here at some point.

Iain Cameron

Re: Coarse lake update
« Reply #1 on: 22/03/2010 at 07:02 »
I could see myself going very infrequently, maybe a couple of times per year, as a change of scene. But would welcome it as an option, and sure others would make more use. Good luck with the project, iain

Hamish Young

Re: Coarse lake update
« Reply #2 on: 22/03/2010 at 07:56 »
Personally, with some experience in this field, I wouldn't bother making it a public venture and keep it private. If you do want to open the doors then it might be an idea to consider a small (and cheap :!) syndicate, but it's entirely possible that the maggot drowning/boilie eating fraternity has grown significantly in the last few years - but I doubt it.

Hmmmm - possible that sounds grumpy. I'm off for a coffee  :wink

:z3

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com