Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Michael Buchan

Re: Deveron - Skagit
« Reply #15 on: 24/03/2010 at 16:47 »
Heres a link to the Metalhead DVD its from the Trout bum guys this is their 4th DVD. Trout Bum Diaries 1 Patagonia. TBD 2 New Zealend, Fish bum 1 Mongolia and this one.  Out of the 4 i like mongolia best but IMO there all great.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #16 on: 25/03/2010 at 00:38 »
But do you have to use a sinking tip with them or are there floating tips? I'll have to wait until next year until I buy another new line I think!

Hi Matt,

Not really a one for all set up, more a specific tool for specific situations.  The idea with a Skagit is to use it with sustained anchor casts such as a double Spey or snap T / circle cast.  Taking the circle cast as an example you would make the circle to place the line upstream of you with a conventional line or shooting head with a sink tip and then try to get the D loop formed and the cast away before the tip sinks.  With a Skagit, you make the circle to reposition the line then wait a second or two before picking up the line and forming the D, this is to let the sink tip sink a bit.  There is so much concentrated mass in a Skagit line that it is very easy to blow the anchor resulting in the fly coming out of the water behind you, they are really best suited to heavy sink tips and large flies and in situations where space behind you is limited.  They are not best suited to fishing small flies on floating or intermediate tips on calm pools and do not realy respond well to single Speys or snake rolls although they can be cast that way if you are really on top of your casting.

The Skagit flight is the most impressive bit of salmon kit I have seen in a long time, I really like it.  It won't deal with the really heavy shit quite as well as the original Skagit line will but it is more user freindly in most circumstances and it will chuck gear that other lines will struggle with without being too brutal.

I have a 550 & a 650 that you are welcome to borow if you would like to try it.

Cheers

Ben

Matt Henderson

« Reply #17 on: 25/03/2010 at 07:13 »
Hi Matt,

Not really a one for all set up, more a specific tool for specific situations.  The idea with a Skagit is to use it with sustained anchor casts such as a double Spey or snap T / circle cast.  Taking the circle cast as an example you would make the circle to place the line upstream of you with a conventional line or shooting head with a sink tip and then try to get the D loop formed and the cast away before the tip sinks.  With a Skagit, you make the circle to reposition the line then wait a second or two before picking up the line and forming the D, this is to let the sink tip sink a bit.  There is so much concentrated mass in a Skagit line that it is very easy to blow the anchor resulting in the fly coming out of the water behind you, they are really best suited to heavy sink tips and large flies and in situations where space behind you is limited.  They are not best suited to fishing small flies on floating or intermediate tips on calm pools and do not realy respond well to single Speys or snake rolls although they can be cast that way if you are really on top of your casting.

The Skagit flight is the most impressive bit of salmon kit I have seen in a long time, I really like it.  It won't deal with the really heavy shit quite as well as the original Skagit line will but it is more user freindly in most circumstances and it will chuck gear that other lines will struggle with without being too brutal.

I have a 550 & a 650 that you are welcome to borow if you would like to try it.

Cheers

Ben

Thats another peice of the puzzle filled in Ben.  Once I've bought and built the new rod then I'll maybe have a try with one of your skagits...

cheers

Matt

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com