Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

The Stimulator by "wind knot"
« on: 21/03/2010 at 08:04 »
The Stimulator one of my favorite flies strip it through a wave, hang buzzers off it its almost unsinkable sort of a classy thingamebober.  Works on the river as well as lochs took my biggest Don trout on this fly minus the legs .  This is my first step by step so here goes.

Hook - Old partridge forget the make
Tail - Elk
Rib - Fine gold wire
Body - Any colour dubbing match the hatch if you have a particular insect in mind
Body Hackle - Brown
wing - Elk
Throat Hackle - Grizzly
Thorax - Dubbing
Legs - Orvis small rubber legs (optional)

Step 1

Tie in a small clump of Elk hair for a tail and the fine gold wire for the rib

Step 2

Dub the body leaving enough room for the wing and thorax.  Then tie in the body hackle.

Step 3

Palmer the body hackle back to the tail and trap down with the fine gold wire. Tie the wire down at the thorax and cutt off.

Step 4

Take a small clump of Elk and stack in a hair stacker or use your fingers tie in backwards almost reaching the tail.  Then tie in the grizzly hackle for the the thorax

Step 5

Tie in the ruber legs i leg on each side of the body.  Tie in the middle of the leg from above the legs will look like an X.  (These are optional must admit dont think the fish care if the fly has them or not)

Step 6

Palmer the Grizzly hackle up the thorax between the legs and tie off at the head.  Whip finish and varnish attach to the leader and catch some fish.

View from above showing legs

Michael

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com