Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Livingstone

1st 'real' fishing trip of the year
« on: 21/03/2010 at 20:04 »
Well, the time had finally come for my first real outing of the year.  I had been out for 10mins with the family to wet a line (previous post) but that was it. 

I put Tom Waits 'Used Songs' album in the CD player and set off down the E39 from Stavanger.  The drive was a big part of it, listening to the music and following the familiar route to my spot.  I knew it was the first real trip as I passed the same guy I have driven past several times the previous year - standing by the road just before Aalgaard, holding up his sign 'Jesus kommer snart' and giving the peace sign as I drove passed.  Yes, I was fishing again!

On the way to the stream I pass the Figgjo River (strictly salmon but looks such nice trout water) and several other streams (where to get the permits is as yet unknown).  As I got closer there was more ice on  the lakes but it did not deter me.  I turned off the E39 and on to the windy Rv504, I was on the home stretch!  After 5minutes, I was pulling into the layby, turning off the engine and looking at the stream in full flow but still clear.

I had taken my favourite rod - a Mike Shay 8' #4 bamboo rod, and set it up with it's matching reel and line.  For this stream it had to be a #12 Royal Stimulator tied on a TMC200R and a #22 pink brassie (same hook model) tied off the bed.  The deepest this stream gets is 4-5' and only in small areas.  Some careful wading through the snow had me at the water and dropping the flies into the drift.  To me this made a big part of the day, the drive, the music, the familiar sights and the setting up of a familiar and favourite fly rod.  I wish I could say I hooked and landed a lot of fish but that would be a big lie - I landed none and had a possible knock but could not be 100%. 

Still, I did manage my best roll cast ever! (That is not saying much but we have to celebrate the small victories)

The drive home was almost as good and the music was changed to Tom Waits 'Mule Variations'.  The rod is now on the table drying out and I have scoped out some new waters on the internet and on a scouting trip yesterday, so role on the rest of 2010 season!

Michael

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com