Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Raith Lake 13/3/10
« on: 13/03/2010 at 23:06 »
Being down at the outlaws for the weekend meant fishing in or around the Angus area. I contacted a member of the 'Clan Chiefs' fishing club for information on where to fish - it turned out to be Baz Bigtroot no less  :wink

We headed off for Raith Lake in Kirkaldy at 07:30 so that we could have a 9 am start and althought there was a slight frost and a bit of a chill it looked like the type of day that could progress into top of the water action  :roll

Armed with my 7wt outfit, slow and fast glass lines and some lures that wouldn't seem out of place in a New Orleans jewellers during Mardi Gras, I felt confident and excited about fishing a venue that hadn't seen one of my flies in a number of years.

Confidence started to wain after an early barren spell, but this was broken by a Jack Pike falling to Baz's Hot Head Dancers.

I spent a large portion of time removing weed from the ever increasing list of flies used to entice the fish. :cry

Eventually, moments before agreeing to head to the opposite end of the Lake, I contacted a nice 2lb Rainbow which fell to a Claret Dabbler style concoption.

Spooning revealed small bloodworm, buzzers and what looked like well chewed corixa.

Lots of buzzer shucks and small flies were seen on the surface but there were no signs of fish on or near the surface, this apart we decided to go onto floating lines, which was fortunate as the weather took a turn for the better and a warmth fell over the Lake.

This marked a tuning point in the day as activity increased and many fish were caught using a vast array of flies - including..... crunchers, bloodworm, buzzers, dancers, spiders, the list goes on.

There were a number of boats out and it's fair to say that fish were taken from all over the lake once the day warmed up.

Wish I'd taken the 5 wt today instead of the Salmon gear - Baz had good fun on his 5wt.

The fish were quality and as hard fighting as I've seen.

All in all it was a good day out   

Barry Robertson

Re: Raith Lake 13/3/10
« Reply #1 on: 13/03/2010 at 23:26 »
Cheers for a good day out Iain, hopefully the first of a few this season!
Ended up a steady day with plenty of fish and the weather was kind also, not to mention the Endrick Spiders  :z4!
What a mince looking flee but it fair did some damage today for you  :z16
Cheers again,
Baz
 :z18

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 14/03/2010 at 09:40 »
Looks like you had a good day lads, nice to see some ice free water  :z16

:z18

Jim

Paul Rankine

« Reply #3 on: 15/03/2010 at 17:25 »
Hi Guys,
              Nice one. It's good to get started again innit ?
Paul.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 15/03/2010 at 21:28 »
Yes Paul, looks like the outings are beginning to pick up :z16
It's been a lon,g hard, barren winter.

Iain

Paul Rankine

« Reply #5 on: 24/03/2010 at 12:23 »
Hi Iain and Baz,
                           I,m heading down Dunfie way next week and fancy a go at Raith. What's the story re boats and costs ? What do you recommend fly wise ( I know , I know !!).

Cheers,

Paul.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #6 on: 24/03/2010 at 12:40 »
Hi Paul, you either row or take your own engine and battery as they dont do hire!
I think you can do an all day catch and release for £15 see link below for full details  :z16
http://www.raithlake.com/bookings.htm
Flies are just the same as anywhere else, but small stuff worked well last time me and Iain went down  :z18
Hope this helps  :z16

Paul Rankine

« Reply #7 on: 24/03/2010 at 13:48 »
Hi Baz,
             Cheers, that helps. I'll let you know how I get on If I,m there.
Paul.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #8 on: 24/03/2010 at 13:51 »
Hi Again,
               Like the quote from the Raith website .

All anglers on a three fish ticket must be able to accurately count to 3

:z4 :z4 :z4

Paul.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com