Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: Dark coloured floating lines
« Reply #15 on: 06/06/2010 at 12:16 »
Thanks Iain :z16

So ..... Is anybody actually using them because they are olive?

To be honest, I think the colour of the fly line is far more important to the angler than it is to the fish :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Jim Doyle

« Reply #16 on: 06/06/2010 at 12:42 »
I used to use the old mahogany lines, they were great.  I found that short lining with these was very productive, there was nothing to scare the fish.  jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #17 on: 06/06/2010 at 12:48 »
Hi Jim :z16

Do you not think that this is an angler's confidence thing though? With a pretty standard leader set up, I don't think the fish focus on the line, even the spooky fish?

Best wishes
Mike

Jim Doyle

« Reply #18 on: 06/06/2010 at 22:41 »
You may be right Mike but it is certainly easy to see when a light floater is waving about and I,m usualy quite a distance away so what effect is it having on fish close by.?    jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #19 on: 06/06/2010 at 23:02 »
Yes Jim, it's an interesting one, I get the impression that a light coloured floating line is easier for us to see when we are above the water and that a dark coloured floating line might be easier for the fish to see from below the water.

Trouble is, I've never been able to question a fish about this! :z4

Hmmm, still can't make up my mind if it is worth the cost of stocking both colours :roll

Cheers
Mike

Jim Doyle

« Reply #20 on: 07/06/2010 at 08:29 »
I remember Richard Walker publishing instructions on how to dye lines, I think he used silver nitrate, it was a long drawn out process so he must have thought it was worth it.  jim

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #21 on: 07/06/2010 at 08:41 »
I think a lot depends on the weather conditions. When I have been diving in bright sunlight, anything above me was dark when viewed against a bright sky and stood out like a sore thumb, even fish with a white/silver belly.

When swiming along the edge of mangroves and looking up with a "treeline" behind, then white/pale things stood out, dark things blended in. Any stick or lraf floating by was very difficult to see.

From that i would draw that a dark line on a narrow tree lined river would perhaps blend in more to a trouts world. However, the disadvantage is that the angler cannot see the line. If the angler cant see it I would suggest neither can the fish.

I always loved the peach colour of the Cortland 444 because in low light it really seemed to "glow" and was easily seen by me.

One last thing, any of you that watch fly fishing videos, have a look at the colour of the lines when seen from underwaqter, a pale line really is obvious whilst a darker line is much less visible and even when seen, look more natural as the flotsam and jetsome around it is also dark.

Me, I use Mikes pale lines...coz I want to see them and by using a long leader I think that puts the fly far enough away from the fly line.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #22 on: 07/06/2010 at 21:56 »
Great feedback guys ..... Thanks!

I think I'll run with both colours for a while and see how things go :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #23 on: 07/06/2010 at 22:14 »
I almost agree with Rob (must be coming down with something) I like a visible line and where necessary I use a longer leader.  Never seen a flyline from underneath so can't really comment upon how it looks to a fish.

CHeers

Ben

Andy Wren

« Reply #24 on: 18/06/2010 at 08:32 »
Re the visability thing ,back in the day when I was a confirmed coveist slow nympher ,I would have a pink ,orange,white and mahogany floating line in the bag,different light conditions different lines ,all had their day,some days would change line several times.
My all time favorite colour for drifty boats is a dark green ,followed by a Heron gray that orvis used to do.
The Dark green one came from Masterline and was a budget one.
these days for the chalk I am happy with my straw coloured thebault silk line ,matt and visible enough !

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com