Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Richard Tong

Spring Hatches
« on: 09/03/2010 at 17:20 »
Guys,

...erm I know this may be a tad early but I would be very interested to hear from anyone on when the March Browns and Large Dark Olives start coming off Don/Deveron and if there is any noticeable fish activity as a result.

Thanks,

Richard

Ben Dixon

Re: Spring Hatches
« Reply #1 on: 09/03/2010 at 20:24 »
LDO's were on from about 7th April if I remember right.  March Browns put in a brief apperance in early March and then again just after the LDO's.

Cheers

Ben

Richard Tong

« Reply #2 on: 10/03/2010 at 07:36 »
Ben,

Ta for this.The reason for the question is that with all the snow you have had it has to melt sometime and when it gets into the river it may delay the hatches so I wanted a 'heads up' on when things start happening.

Regarding the MB's starting and then you seeing them after the LDOs I guess you maybe missed them on the days that you went down as when they start they do not stop until they have finished in my experience. However the emergence when it does happen can be very localised but more importantly,sometimes last for very short periods,literally 10-15 mins and then it is all over. Not always,sometimes it can last for an hour to 90 mins but this is rare.

The enquiry about noticeable fish activity was due to a couple of instances,especially one last Spring(early April) when Paul and I witnessed the most incredible MB emergence we have ever seen;this lasted over an hour;there were loads of duns..yet not one fish rose. We surmised that maybe the water was too cold to galvanise the fish,who knows. On returning a week later hearing that the fish were up we had some cracking sport,

Richard

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 10/03/2010 at 09:27 »
Hi Richard,

Where I did my early season fishing, there are not a lot of MB's anyway.  Thinking back, I only saw the odd one early season, more further upstream but I did not really fish anywhere than my doorstep until about mid April.

Cheers

Ben

Richard Tong

« Reply #4 on: 11/03/2010 at 08:41 »
Ben,

I wonder if Kintore is near the lower limits of the March Brown emergence? Has anyone else seen them below here...what about the Parkhill beat etc?

Richard

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 11/03/2010 at 20:41 »
http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1807.msg14733#msg14733

Richard,
I knew I'd find it somewhere.........The only time I fished Lower Parkhill last year.

I also remember very vividly fishing Lower Parkhill as a Junior ADAA member (circa 1982) & being instructed by an 'adult' to fish a dry March Brown. It did the trick & I had my first ever decent Trout on the dry, I'm retrospectively assuming it was because there were good hatches back then of MB's?

Perhaps any ADAA members that fish or walk these beats regularly can give a more informed account of the MB population in the lower stretches.

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 11/03/2010 at 22:10 »
Jamie Urquhart, The Don Trust Biologist sent me a form for a March Brown Survey, if anyone would like to take part (or would be willing to complete it during the season) then drop me a PM with an email address and I will send it on.

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com