Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

New Klink Hooks to try
« on: 04/03/2010 at 20:33 »
Just received some hooks which I ordered from Phil at 'Flytying Boutique'

I'd seen them a while ago and the thought of warm evenings on the Don with the light gear spurred me on to ordering them.

I like tying Klink style flies on B100's but they only go down to a size 16. These hooks looked like they might fill that smaller size void and they also have the trademark Klinkhamer hook shape.
The wire was finer than I expected but they look nice.

Tied up a few Klinks last night but need to invest in some quality capes for smaller stuff.

From Top - Size 19, Size 17 & a B100 size 16 for comparison

One from yesterday- size 17

Anyone got any experience of these hooks?

Iain

Iain Goolager

Re: New Klink Hooks to try
« Reply #1 on: 28/05/2010 at 13:33 »
Iain 1:  Yes I've tried them and they are ace!

Iain:  Great stuff Iain have you caught any decent fish on them & how do they stand up?

Iain 1: nothing too large, biggest about 2lb but the size 17 hook stood up no prob's.

Iain: Thanks Iain 1, have you had any fish on the smaller hook sizes?

Iain 1: Not yet Iain but I'm sure as the year progresses I'll get a chance.

Iain: Best of luck anyway Iain

Iain 1: And to you Iain, ta ra

Iain: Ta ra

:z6

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 28/05/2010 at 16:49 »
I think you need a mirror to be able to make that conversation to work properly m8  :z4

Nice hooks, might give 'em a try sometime.

:z3

Noel Kelly

« Reply #3 on: 28/05/2010 at 19:46 »
LOL Iain ya nutter that goes for both of ye :z4

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 28/05/2010 at 20:02 »
I might get some once my B100s run out.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 01/06/2010 at 12:56 »
Have you seen the Daiwa Gamakatsu buzzer hooks?

For starters they are black. I really like this as I am sure they look like an extended body on a black fly.

They come in Light and Heavy, the light being the ones to go for, naturally.

They go down to size 20 but are actually a bit smaller then the B100's anyway...the 16 being the equal to a size 18 B100.

They are extremely strong but light.

They have a slightly offset point meaning 99% of the fish are hooked in the scissors making release easy.

They are only £2.99 for 25

Matt Henderson

« Reply #6 on: 01/06/2010 at 13:07 »
They have a slightly offset point meaning 99% of the fish are hooked in the scissors making release easy.

hmmm surely that depends on the fish in question.  I had four of mike's finest blue trout on Friday on a B100 klink.  All of them completely swallowed the fly and I had to use forceps to get the thing out of them even though it was de-barbed!

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 01/06/2010 at 15:23 »
Mat,
I always carry a small ketchum release - only used it 4 or so times (approx) in the last few years but 3 times so far this season. Never leave home without it. You don't have to worry about ruining the dressing when using forceps or opening the fishes mouth too far (depending on fly depth), etc, etc.

£15 odd quid from Orvis

you know it makes sense.

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 01/06/2010 at 15:59 »
hmmm surely that depends on the fish in question.  I had four of mike's finest blue trout on Friday on a B100 klink.  All of them completely swallowed the fly and I had to use forceps to get the thing out of them even though it was de-barbed!

I have always meant to post a errrrrrm..post on the subject of hook shape and where the hook takes hold.

This is something that is heavily discussed in carp forums and I believe the shape of the hook has a direct relationship to where and how it takes hold.

But since I will just get ribbed to hell, I have never bothered :)

As I had around 7 blues on Saturday, also all on a Klink, and every one in the scissors..I rest my case ;)

Matt Henderson

« Reply #9 on: 01/06/2010 at 16:52 »
£15 odd quid from Orvis

you know it makes sense.
you are right, I'll add it to the wedding list, do John Lewis stock them?

I have always meant to post a errrrrrm..post on the subject of hook shape and where the hook takes hold.

This is something that is heavily discussed in carp forums and I believe the shape of the hook has a direct relationship to where and how it takes hold.

But since I will just get ribbed to hell, I have never bothered :)

As I had around 7 blues on Saturday, also all on a Klink, and every one in the scissors..I rest my case ;)

I'm genuinely interested in this so post away.  It would make it better for the fishes in question so if we're fishing catch and release then it makes sense to damage the fish as little as possible. 

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com