Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Bronzebommer

The importance of Rod Spines
« on: 04/03/2010 at 10:23 »
On the 2 rods I have built I have made sure the rings are mounted to the inside curve of the blank spine. How much difference does this make? I was talking to Mr B about this and he says "allot". If so, how come Hardy’s didn’t bother when making my Demon? ??? Is the spine something that is only given consideration in more expensive models? or does it vary between manufactures? Your thoughts please. :z3

Matt

Sandy Nelson

Re: The importance of Rod Spines
« Reply #1 on: 04/03/2010 at 13:05 »
Now you're asking a question you will get different opinions on
I have done lots of playing with this

so my opinion is it does make quite a lot of difference in the rod when it comes to control.
If the spine is straight then the rod will cast itself straight
on powerful casting machines and when you start to haul for distance
the subtle accuracy the spine gives you is over ruled and it makes no difference.
However should you try delicate stuff with a rod without a straight spine it will cast offline.
Casting of axis should be something you Introduce ,not the rod IMHO.

Production rods are not spined because it takes to long and a spined rod is often not
straight so  they just wrap for straight because in the shop people pick up a rod and look along it,
bent rods don't sell as well. If you were to buy based on casting then a spined rod would feel more natural in the hand
and you would prefer it, but unfortunatley most rods aren't sold this way.

Most custom builders agree on spining and have experimented with it at length.
I can tell you that if you build on a stiff blank (fast action+) then putting the rings
on the outside of the spine makes the rod even better. Doesn't seem to work the same with
a more gentle action.

My theory on this is you use a faster rod for casting greater distance, if the rings are on the outside of the spine
then on the forward cast the more powerful part of the blank tracks truer and it keeps your tracking straighter when you come forward without you trying as hard, therefore you cast further and straighter with less effort.
With the rings inside the spine you load the spine on the backcast which throws the line out straighter behind you and makes it easier to shape the line better coming forward as it is already tracking straight, this lends itself to more medium actions where you will cast shorter distances and be looking for accuracy and shapes in the line.

I'm not explaining this very well , sorry :oops Its very hard to explain, but quite easy to demonstrate

Mike and I have proven this many time. With different builds on blanks
and having people blind test the same blank in 4 different configs
without exception they will always choose the spined blank as the better rod
even though they are the same .

I have rebuilt quite a few factory rods and spined them on rebuild
to have the owner think you have performed some sort of magic trick with their rod
it feels quite good to improve something people used to love. :z3

also you will find on a 4 piece rod you only need to spine the top 2 sections :wink

So spine a medium-fast action on the inside of the spine and a fast to extra fast rod on the outside of the spine.

as I said it is an opinion, but from my experience it is a very well proven opinion.

Cheers

Sandy :z18

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 23/04/2010 at 15:18 »
Ah, to spline or not to spline.
It's very true that an unsplined rod is softer than a splined rod. However, a splined rod is much more liable to twisting forces on a cast. This is the bit that worries me the most and perhaps most misunderstood.
When finding the spline, the blank will snap into a natural curve, a curve the is approximatly 90 degrees to the spline. If you place you rings on or opposite the spline, on a cast the rod will want to twist into it's natural curve, which is 90 degrees to where the rings are. So, I cannot fully agree with sandy on the bit regarding better acuracy when splined because the rod is constantly trying to twist into it's natural curve.
Dealing as I do in heavy fly rods this can manifest itself into tips flying off during the cast as The twisting forces can be large. I now build my rods off spline, as recomended by the manufacturer. Having said that, with autoclave technology, the spline is almost non existent on certain manufacturers rods.
As I build a lot of "sets of rods" I will often have 2 or 3 identical blanks and have played around with splines, ringss and spacing and as sandy says, it makes a remarkable difference, even on heavy carp rods. But I think the jury is still out on whether splining or not is better. There is certainly no right or wrong answer and many manufacturers build the rod by seeing how straight it looks rather than to a spline.
For me, I like to think the rod is working on it's natural curve rather than against it so will build it how I think it flexes best, but also recognise others want it splined, so will normally ask the client....then I am in the clear lol
I wish forums were touchy feely as it is so much easier to demonstrate than describe.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 23/04/2010 at 23:38 »
Interesting stuff Rob.

If the spine/spline is at 90' to the preferred plane of bending (most peoples impression of what the spine is)
How do you establish where it is?.
I always use the preferred plane of bending and perhaps wrongly refer to it as the spine, people seem to understand better what that means when you call it a specific name and they can also find it much easier.
To me, when people refer to a spine/spline they are reffering to what i personally call the prefferred plane of bending, this is a mouthful for describing things and perhaps even sounds a little contrived to the layman. With cane they are very much the same thing, so it was natural to assume the same for carbon.
However perhaps you are correct, from now on i shall not use the term spine or spline if that is not what the PPB represents.

From what you say we are talking the same game, but referring to it with different terminology. :z6

:z18

Sandy

Paul Rankine

« Reply #4 on: 23/04/2010 at 23:49 »
Rob,
        You are at it again .  :z4

Dealing as I do in heavy fly rods this can manifest itself into tips flying off during the cast as The twisting forces can be large.

Aye they must be .

:roll

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 24/04/2010 at 15:22 »
Sandy,
and this is the problem! It depends who you speak too! I think most people refer to the spline or spine as being the plane in which the rod gives the most resistence when you bend it. As you are more than aware, when you take say the tip and bend/roll it you feel 4 destinct phases as you turn it. The stiffest phase is often referred to as the spine/spline. As you will know, the blank will try and "snap" to a preferred plane. This is the plane I tend to build along, which tends to be roughly 90 degrees to the stiffest part.
I got a new catalogue through this morning from a UK company called Free Spirit who produce some fantastic Japanese cloth carp rods, here is an extract from it....

"We take great pains to ensure out rods are whipped along the spine(backbone) of the rod. This is important since the rod aligns naturally to this spine during casting and fish playing - if you feel the rod snatching during the cast or have a top section that twists around on the cast this is probably down to it being built off spine.

On the long range rods this is vital since if built off spine the carbon fibres will try to align themselves to the spine during heavy casting and can "unwrap" leading to rod breakage....."

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 24/04/2010 at 15:27 »
Sorry, on the I phone and it would not let me add more.....

So, there you have it, both Harrison and Free Spirit mention the spline and how important it is to align, but neither actually tells you what the spine is, the natural curve or the stiffest resistence!

The fact a Human spine flexes front to back better than the stiffer side to side suggests the natural curve of a blank is the spine. I don't know, but that's how I build my rods.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 24/04/2010 at 23:20 »

The fact a Human spine flexes front to back better than the stiffer side to side suggests the natural curve of a blank is the spine. I don't know, but that's how I build my rods.

Me too :z16

The analagy with the human spine is probably one of the most enlightened coments i've seen you write :z18
Sums up exactly how most people view the situation. And as you say, if it bends in this direction the stiffer parts are most probably at 90' to the PPB.

All good stuff :z12

Sandy

David Norwich

« Reply #8 on: 08/05/2010 at 16:58 »
Me too :z16

The analagy with the human spine is probably one of the most enlightened coments i've seen you write :z18
Sums up exactly how most people view the situation. And as you say, if it bends in this direction the stiffer parts are most probably at 90' to the PPB.

All good stuff :z12

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Preferred plane of bending is correct in my opinion. The casting and tracking performance during the cast is dramatically improved.
 90 degrees to the major and minor spines (there are two stiff spines, or areas, on every blank) is where I always advise the guides be fitted.

Regards,

David.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 09/05/2010 at 00:48 »
David,
thank you for your input, it is good to get confirmation from someone like yourself.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: 09/05/2010 at 01:23 »
Will echo that, cheers David :z1

terminology has a lot to answer for :z6

Sandy

David Norwich

« Reply #11 on: 09/05/2010 at 02:08 »
It's confusing isn't it?

I was brought up to believe that to have spine was to be brave, have resolve, backbone etc. Spine...... That always meant stiff. As in stiff upper lip. Yet physically our bodies spine is designed to be stiffer in three planes, and more flexible in one. That makes it even more confusing then when using the human body's spine as an example!

I have always then looked at rod spine, as being the stiff side of the blank.

The blank when flexed won't stay on that stiff plane though, it automatically wants to turn to the preferred plane of bending. The softest side.  It follows then in my mind - looking at it logically, that this is were the guides should be located - so the cast and the way the rod bends during the cast takes advantage of the natural bend in the rod shaft.

In a multi-section rod, any rod... if they are all lined up, it follows then that the complete rod when flexed is not fighting for position with the adjoining section. It tracks truer throughout the forward and back cast automatically, which must make for a smoother cast. A proficient caster would certainly notice the difference if offered a "tuned" rod in comparison with a rod that had just been randomly assembled. An average or below average caster, may never notice any difference.

I think though that it must be reassuring - even if the end user is an average caster - that the rod he is building or buying, will have that built in tweak that overall - will enhance the final casting performance.

Regards,

David.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #12 on: 09/05/2010 at 02:28 »
Very nicely put, far neater than my waffle at the start :z6

the next question is though, which side of the preffered plane of bending
would you use, we have found that it can have an affect on the rod too
and can be used to further tune a blank depending on it's nature.

With a softer action rod It has it's sensitivity increased by putting the rings on the inside of the curve
wheras we have also found that with a stiffer faster blank you can Improve it's tracking by putting the rings on the outside of the curve. Again you only really notice when you do direct comparisons during experimental stages
but. The knowledge that people benefit from these small observations
has always appealed to me, guess that's why I love building rods :z16

sandy

David Norwich

« Reply #13 on: 09/05/2010 at 12:07 »
Very nicely put, far neater than my waffle at the start :z6

the next question is though, which side of the preffered plane of bending
would you use, we have found that it can have an affect on the rod too
and can be used to further tune a blank depending on it's nature.

With a softer action rod It has it's sensitivity increased by putting the rings on the inside of the curve
wheras we have also found that with a stiffer faster blank you can Improve it's tracking by putting the rings on the outside of the curve. Again you only really notice when you do direct comparisons during experimental stages
but. The knowledge that people benefit from these small observations
has always appealed to me, guess that's why I love building rods :z16

sandy

Hi Sandy,

Irrespective of thie action, I always prefer to have it rung on the major side of the preferred plane of bending. That way you get mamum power into the back cast as you lift line from the water. This translates into higher line speed. The rod will then  load automatically slightly deeper on the forward cast.

As we have located the planes of bending throughout the rod shats, the cast - assuming  it has been made efficiently and with appropriate energy input for the presentation required - allows the rod to track true and unload the stored energy smoothly, projecting the line forward without any bumps, waves or wobbles.
get to.

I think rod making can get to be more than just a love for the craft. It can turn into an all consuming passion if you are not careful...... :grin

Regards,

David.

ps Mike if you are reading this, I constantly have an issue with the reply box annoyingly disappearing below the line I am typing. I'm using Vista home premium. I have had to resort to using Microsoft Word to make my reply. Then copy and paste it in to the reply box.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: 09/05/2010 at 12:44 »

I think rod making can get to be more than just a love for the craft. It can turn into an all consuming passion if you are not careful...... :grin

Too late for that  :shock passed that a long time ago, remember i'm sitting here in the jungle having the discussion :z6
Haven't built a rod for 11 months now :cry however i have been making handles and coming up with ideas to try after the summer (when i'm bringing my gear back here with me :z3) All way too sad :roll

What i've found with rings and the PPB, is as you say, when you put them on the outside of the curve it improves the line speed and accuracy of the rod, without input from the caster, with the input, it maximises what you can achieve. Most of this comes from the improved backcast. However what i have also found is if you put the rings on the inside, then on the fwd cast, the rod will do the same and this allows you better control for off axis casting manouveres, such as bending and shaping the line, i tend to do this short range which is why i think it suits a softer action blank.
It is all of course just opinion and my interpretation of many experimental results, but it does make for some very interesting conversations.

All good fun :z18
Cheers

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com