Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Visitors & Tourism
« on: 03/03/2010 at 11:50 »
Hi folks :cool:

It's a small world nowadays and we can and do travel all over it for our holidays and fishing. In some countries, for example New Zealand, you pay the same price for your fishing licence or permit no matter where you live in the world and I think this is sensible and fair.

On the other hand and in some cases in our country, you will find yourself paying a different amount depending on whether you are a local resident, you live within a certain distance like 20 miles for example, you live in the Shire, or you are a visitor from further afield ..... Is this sensible and fair?

Personally, I don't like to have to work out how many miles I live from a fishing location, I just want to go fishing at a fair and sensible price like everybody else. These type of permit conditions are often put in place on local council run waters, but where do the extra monies raised from visitor permits go, in my experience I have not been able to see the money going back in to the river? You often find similar conditions when a water is run by clubs and syndicates, where a "visitor" should pay more to visit "our beats" ..... Why can't members and visitors be offered the same sensible and fair day ticket prices, with club members benefiting from a sensible and fair season ticket being available?

And syndicate waters where visitors are not made welcome ( limited availability, no replies from listed contact details, over priced to put visitors off ) or worse still, not even given any access whatsoever ........ What's that all about? :roll

Best wishes
Mike

Paul Garrigan

Re: Visitors & Tourism
« Reply #1 on: 03/03/2010 at 17:45 »
With regards to the Don, I live in Danestone (near the tesco). The Don is at the bottom of my road but i am not in the shire so need to pay full price for season tickets. Sucks!!  ???

I can see the thinking behind these price differences. I think it is more a matter of the locals being given a discount as opposed to visitors being charged more. Somestimes it could be executed better.  :z6

There are a few waters i have come across that i would love to fish but access is either unavailable or out of my price range. I suppose that is part of the reason they are desirable.  :z8
I really dont like elitist (sp) attitudes towards anything in life. Gets my back up!  :z7

I also think there is loads of easily accessible water to be had in Scotland for not much money and with easy access. Sometimes we just need to do a wee bit of research.

I believe in some states in America you buy a state ticket and can pretty much go where you like? I wonder how that would go down here?  :z13

Matt Henderson

« Reply #2 on: 03/03/2010 at 20:31 »
I think the Don access the aberdeenshire council has is a good example of access. However the city\shire split on costs. Not so much! But it's a shame the aberdeen city council couldn't do the same on the beats in town. I haven't joined the ADAA because of the joining fee. But the annual rate isn't too bad. I once tried to get a day ticket for parkhill. It wasn't easy the conditions were very strict. I like that Sloans sells tickets for lots of beats.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 03/03/2010 at 21:01 »
Tricky one......

With water owned by the local Council I think it is fair enough that those residing outside of the Council area pay a bit more for a ticket.  I think, but could be wrong that some of my council tax will go into local amenities, provision of leisure facilites etc.  Those paying tax to another council will not be contributing towards leisure facilities in another area therefore it is reasonable that those residing outside of the shire pay a bit more IMO.  Additionally, most proprietors are lucky if they break even on their fishings and this shortfall needs to be made up somewhere.

Not sure which bit of the Don you are referring to Paul but I think it would probably be either Grandhome or the ADAA water, day tickets for trout fishing are available to all regardless of address under the terms of the protection order on both.  Salmon fishing does not have to be let by the proprietor and can be let to whoever they see fit under whatever terms best suit them, it is a saleable commodity and like anything that is in demand, it can command a high price where the demand is greatest.  This may eventually end up biting those charging OTT prices as big money days can often end up being bought up for corporate entertainment where the clients may not be anglers or serious anglers and may not even turn up.  Less fish get caught, the value of the beat drops the proprietors assets are, in the long term, devalued.

I used to get really pissed about not being able to get on to certain bits of certain rivers to fish for salmon as I simply could not afford it.  Now I just accept it and get a great deal of satisfaction after getting a fish from a £25 day on the Don when many big money beats on the big rivers have not produced depsite having many anglers on the water.  And, I will have started, finished, and eaten lunch to my own timetable and probably won't have seen another angler all day!!

As for a state license, I could not see it working in the UK.  Too many people on this Island for the number of fish and whether we like it or not, fishing rights are owned by individuals in the UK and I don't see how this could be changed.  .

The syndicate issue does get to me, particularly on the Don.  These little Syndicates and angling clubs that refuse to let the great unwashed on for a days trout fishing should maybe have a think about how cosy their little club or syndicate may be if the PO was removed and we went back to the old days of bus loads of folk coming from all over the country to empty the river by whatever method they liked.  It should be pointed out that there are very few beats preventing access to trout fishing or not selling trout only tickets, access to trout fishing on the Don is generally very good.  The Ardhuncart syndicate is one problem stretch, Inverurie Angling club is another problem and no trout only ticket is available for the Edinglassie & Candacraig water, this one is currently work in progress. 
Personally I would like to remove protection from these waters and advertise everywhere that it is not a criminal offence to fish there without permission, why should they get protection if they are not giving anything back?  I should stress that this is a personally held view and not representitive of the RDBTIA.

Cheers

Ben

Fisher

« Reply #4 on: 03/03/2010 at 23:34 »
mdh - Aberdeenshire Council are fortunate in that they actually own fishings but you are clearly not aware that Aberdeen City Council have no ownership of any fishings.

Yes ADAA have a one off joining fee but for that you get access to all their fishings on 3  rivers plus 2 still water fisheries at an all inclusive price. Far more than you can get from anyone else in the North East . The fishings owned by ADAA have been bought and paid for by existing members and if you want to share in the enjoyment of these fishings by becoming a member it is not unfair to ask for some contribution towards the costs that have been paid out by the existing membership.

If the joining fee is too expensive there is a savings scheme where you can save regularly towards the joining fee or even towards the annual fees to make the burden a little easier on yourself.

Once a member you have access to over 30 miles of river fishing on 3 different rivers plus the 2 still waters as already mentioned. The rivers are open for fishing for 39 weeks in the year and the still waters all year (weather permitting) so for less than £4 per week you can fish the waters as often as you want to without any further payment. No one can say thats not good value.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #5 on: 04/03/2010 at 22:55 »
Ben

I must disagree with your view that Inverurie Angling Club is a problem when providing access for trout fishing.

For £15 you can purchase a day ticket on our Keithhall beat.
You could also join the Angling club for £20 and thereafter be able to purchase a day ticket on our other beat at Ardmurdo for £15.Both beats are fine trout waters.

These seem very reasonable prices to me and i really can't see where the 'problem' is.

Duncan

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 04/03/2010 at 23:03 »
Duncan,

Thanks for that, if I am wrong I stand corrected but the information I have came from a comittee member, I hope I am wrong and that I can buy a ticket for Keithall without joining the club.  I don't think it is fair to expect anglers to join the club to go trout fishing, £15 pounds for a day ticket is a reasonable price IMO, no problem with that at all.  What is the procedure for joing Inverurie Angling Club?

Cheers

Ben

Duncan McRae

« Reply #7 on: 04/03/2010 at 23:52 »
Ben

Watsons Ironmongers in Inverurie is the place to try.They deal with ticket sales and membership renewals for the angling clubs water.
I don't know whether or not membership can be purchased over the counter but if not, they will certainly have a contact for you.

Duncan

Brian Brand

« Reply #8 on: 05/03/2010 at 15:01 »
Hi Duncan / Ben,

Thanks for posting above note Duncan, that is correct about the trout fishing.

Ben if you pm me I can e-mail an application form to you.

Regards,
Bri.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com