Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jay Scott

Salmon Fly tying
« on: 31/12/2006 at 15:29 »
I am going to be fishing for salmon on the Don next year for the first time, and i thought to myself what better way to start than with a full box of home made flies. I have the vice, tools and quite a bit of materials mostly for trout flies, but i seem to be lacking in the salmon department. What materials, hooks, tubes ..... ect, would you recomend for me to start off with? and a list of effective flies and their materials would go down nicely  :cool:

Thanks, Jay

Hamish Young

Salmon Fly tying
« Reply #1 on: 31/12/2006 at 17:22 »
Jay,
Learn to tie the Stoats tail series of flies and you'll be laughing  :wink:  
I'd recommend you start with single hooks, once you're 'there' move on to doubles, trebles and tubes. Partridge and Kamasan make all the hooks you'll need. If you don't have some already get a squirrel tail and an assortment of coloured bucktail, unless you're tying hudreds of flies a few packets of hackles in assorted colours (Orange, yellow, Blue, Black etc) will cover a lot of bases.
Above all else, make sure your thread is a strong one.
Hamish

Jay Scott

Salmon Fly tying
« Reply #2 on: 31/12/2006 at 17:26 »
Thanks,

I have bought a lureflash "How to tie 10 ally shrimp" pack today and tied a couple of them on single and have tried 1 on a double, i also bought yellow and orange buck tails and various other materials. But the strong thread may be a problem, i found that out at the IAA fly tying evening,  :oops:

Thanks for your help Hamish any more would be greatly appreciated, i'm just trying to find out what way is the best to start off.

Jay

Hamish Young

Salmon Fly tying
« Reply #3 on: 31/12/2006 at 17:37 »
Jay - couple of quick tips:
1. Always remember proportion, proportion, proportion.
2. Don't get lost on the Allys shrimp, lots of other flies to tie and master 1st.
3. Always, but always, throw in a quick hitch once you've tied in a material - equally applicable to trout flies.
4. To begin with don't experiment too much - concentrate on mastering known patterns then "let fly" (no pun intended  :wink: ).
Hamish

Jay Scott

Salmon Fly tying
« Reply #4 on: 31/12/2006 at 19:34 »
Thanks Hamish,

Great advice, yeah I think i will try to master the allys and the stoats tail before i move onto any of my own inventions. Any other patterns of equal skill would be greatly appreciated.

Jay

Derek 365

Salmon Fly tying
« Reply #5 on: 31/12/2006 at 22:08 »
Hi Jay,
I've tied flies for several salmon/sea trout anglers and all of them prefer me to use arctic fox instead of bucktail ,i also find it easier to use as it's softer and seems to display more movement.

Sandy Nelson

Salmon Fly tying
« Reply #6 on: 01/01/2007 at 18:51 »
Not that big on salmon flies.I like small ones.
But listen to the Hamish, he has a reasonable idea what he talks about :lol:
As for arctic fox, lovely stuff, great movement almost like marabou but it depends what type of water you are fishing in.
Bucktail is great for faster water as it holds its shape due to the stiffer fibres, whereas arctic fox is better in slower water where the movement can be seen, in fast water the fibres just flatten and provide little shape.
So each material has its own merits and uses, do not ignore either.
Spey style flies are worth looking at too, they are very pretty and great fun to make, very effective too, fished right :wink: A great use for those pheasant body feathers you might have, (gold body, bronze mallard wing tied low, topping tail and a spey tied rusty coloured pheasant body feather, i like it on a size 6 or 4 single)

If you want to catch fish, start with Stoats tails and willie gunns, and be very patient :z4

Sandy

Jay Scott

Salmon Fly tying
« Reply #7 on: 01/01/2007 at 19:45 »
I have made a ally's shrimp and a cascade, they were A LOT of fun.
It seems much more rewarding than tying trout flies because they are worth more and it makes me feel i should take my time instead of rushing it and when i do that i'm really pleased with the finished article! I'll be sure to give that fly a try Sandy and every other one featured on this page.

Thanks a lot for your advice everyone!

Jay

Sandy Nelson

Salmon Fly tying
« Reply #8 on: 02/01/2007 at 18:00 »
It seems much more rewarding than tying trout flies

:shock:  :z7

More rewarding, the reward is the fish, salmon flies catch less fish than trout flies, hence less rewarding :lol:

However i can see how they may seem so., try tying some of Steve Thorntons nymph patterns if you want rewarding www.virtual-nymph.com/listenrivervol1page1.html

Should keep you amused, personally there is nothing more elegant than a perfectly tied waterhen bloa.

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com