Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Upstream spiders
« on: 16/02/2010 at 20:54 »
Anyone fish this method with any success on The Don?

Ben Dixon

Re: Upstream spiders
« Reply #1 on: 16/02/2010 at 21:06 »
Upstream spiders can be deadly at the right time, I often fish this way during a hatch when the fish are not slashing at adults in the surface and refuse to take a dry or emerging fly.  Size 18 & 20 black spiders got me quite a few fish during late July and August in the evenings.

Cheers

Ben

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 16/02/2010 at 21:06 »
I'm guessing Sandy Noel  :wink I've not fished the Don often enough to have any real sucess.

:z18

Jim

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 17/02/2010 at 01:00 »
Silly question :roll noel :z7

I use them lots, mostly like ben says , during a hatch when they are not focused specifically on the top.
The spider will often massively outfish the dries. Fish them the same way, upstream and dead drift.

I often speculate upstream with spiders too :z16 stick to Hares lug and plover, greenwells, blacks and my favourite the waterhen bloa.
Sometimes black and silver/pearl. cast into likely spots and dead drift again, let it pass you by and then lift gently before recasting (this is often the moment :z16)

Have often been known to fish the spider on the point with the dry on the dropper as well, this can be deadly too as it keeps the spider just sub surface like a proper emerger or drowning adult. And equally often fish a spider on the point with the czech nymph on the dropper rather than two nymphs, this works really well with pearl spiders :wink

my best two trout of the last 10 years came to upstream spiders, orange cdc in the surface on july evenings.

I usually try to match the hatch in size and general colour, but a little imagination can be very effective :wink

Cheers

Sandy

Tam Greenock

« Reply #4 on: 17/02/2010 at 11:56 »
I cant wait to get out for some evenings on The Don.  :z16

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 17/02/2010 at 19:54 »
I cant wait to get out for some evenings on The Don.

Aye, you and me both Tam.

One spider pattern that I've tried and tried but with little success (using various body materials - silk, tinsel, etc.) is the snipe & purple.
Anyone tell me what it's supposed to mimic?

For my speculative upstream nymphing (which I do quite a bit) I'll use one or two on the dropper, which has given me a few decent (not big) fish, Waterhen bloa is always on when using  two droppers and the second is often a Snipe and Purple (why????) Partridge and Orange, and the usual suspects.

Hard for me to change to spiders when flys are hatching (as I'm lazy & the sight of a wing bobbling down a riffle is exciting in itself) but perhaps I should heed the words of the wise - makes sense anyway. Never used one with a dry? The boy shows lack of ambition.  :oops

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 17/02/2010 at 20:11 »
I use to fish with spiders all the time on the Don and still would today if I got out more :z6

Hare's Lug Spiders, Greenwells, Black Spiders, Pearly Black Spiders, Snipe & Purple and Waterhen Bloa, plus I'd often fish a Black Pennell, Hare's Ear Nymph or Silver Invicta on the point ..... dunno why, but it worked for me :wink

All these work well for me on stillwaters too ..... confidence maybe? :z4

Best wishes
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #7 on: 17/02/2010 at 21:37 »
Aye, you and me both Tam.

One spider pattern that I've tried and tried but with little success (using various body materials - silk, tinsel, etc.) is the snipe & purple.
Anyone tell me what it's supposed to mimic?

Hard for me to change to spiders when flys are hatching (as I'm lazy & the sight of a wing bobbling down a riffle is exciting in itself) but perhaps I should heed the words of the wise - makes sense anyway. Never used one with a dry? The boy shows lack of ambition.  :oops

Iain

Hi Iain,

Snipe & Purple traditionally immitates Stoneflies.  The time to change to spiders during a hatch is when you think you have the rise form sussed and think you know what the fish are on but still cannot get a take.  Or you can just fish them throughout the hatch and you should do well.  Many folk struggle as they do not keep in contact with the flies when fishing upstream and try to fish too long a line, you need to be able to see the takes.
Upstream spiders during the summer in glassy glides when the fish are on midge can be deadly.

Cheers

Ben

Matt Henderson

« Reply #8 on: 17/02/2010 at 22:02 »
I'm hoping to work out how to fish upstream nymphs, spiders and dry flies this season. Is there a special set up? Do you target slower moving water or just user a shorter line to stay in touch with the flies?

Noel Kelly

« Reply #9 on: 17/02/2010 at 22:13 »
I intended to follow up with more questions but I'm getting the answers already  :z16

I have tried them briefly a few times but found them floating back on the surface and on their sides, just didn't look or feel right. 

Man is this the longest closed season or what :shock 

Sandy Nelson

Re: Upstream spiders New
« Reply #10 on: 18/02/2010 at 01:09 »
Snipe & Purple traditionally immitates Stoneflies.

Now for the debate :z4

I have always had the Snipe and Purple as a traditional imitation of the Iron Blue (a quick check and Edmonds and Lee and TE Pritt seem to agree :wink) along with the Dark Watchett (which i prefer :z16) size 14/16 is a good don fly in spring and autumn. Often have the Dark watchett on the middle, but some patterns are just personal favourites.
Many of the spiders are stonefly patterns, like the Partridge and Orange/yellow/red and  the spanish needle flies amongst others. From a quick read the stoneflies seem to be tied with either yellow,orange or red thread.

For tying the Snipe and purple, it is best tied proper tradition style with Pearsalls no.8. The idea is the silk takes on the right shade when wet. But then i can be a bit of a tradition junkie when it comes to spiders :z6
My opinion is that on general size and colour when wet, most spiders are general representation of various insects, however they are often regarded as a particular representation of a certain insect during a hatch :z7.

Noel get the spiders wet when you start and if they are tied nice and sparse they will sink very easily, degrease the whole leader too. The idea is for them to tumble with the current whilst hanging subsurface ( think drowning fly) and then lift slightly before recasting once the flies are past you (rising emergers). Like Ben says fish a  short line and keep in close contact with the flies. Stick to water that is moving at a reasonable pace (glides to rapids) you need the current to make the flies dance in the water. Sometimes if they stick IN the surface its not a bad thing :wink

Set up is personal, shortish 9ft leader with 2 or 3 flies (personal preference) fluorocarbon can be a bit stiff (some brands) i tend to use froghair or some other co-poly. Just remember the flies need to dance with the current to look alive and use what you have confidence in :z16

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com