Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

adambrain

Rescobie loch
« on: 15/02/2010 at 15:53 »
Hello,
            has anyone got any hints, tips, depth advice for Rescobie Loch beginning of May time, any help would be appreciated its going to be my first time on a large loch.

Many Thanks Adam.

Graeme Gauld

Re: Rescobie loch
« Reply #1 on: 15/02/2010 at 16:20 »
My advice would be dont go it is very dour and the water quality is also poor  (  green )
from high summer onwards, better bet  for your first time on a large water would be lintrathen or butterstone

Barry Robertson

« Reply #2 on: 15/02/2010 at 17:06 »
My advice would be dont go it is very dour and the water quality is also poor  (  green )
from high summer onwards, better bet  for your first time on a large water would be lintrathen or butterstone

I would strongly disagree with some of the above post!
Rescobie is awesome early season with crystal clear water and has a hell of a lot of big fish in it, including big browns and pike!
From July to the  Mid of september it goes very green and is not really worth it but thats fine with me as thats when lintrathen fishes best!
Lintrathen for your first time is not ideal as for one its very open and if the wind picks up it wont be much fun for a novice fishing on a fast drift! On rescobie you have the option of an anchor and for a novice this is a good option to have incase you are struggling!
Lintrathen also has petrol motors where as rescobie has little electrics which is easier for a first time :z16
If you want a day with myself on either Lintrathen,Rescobie or Butterstone i would easily take youy out and hopefully put you onto some fish!
I fish all of the above waters alot and would be going out anyway  :z18
Some of last years rescobie fish

adambrain

« Reply #3 on: 15/02/2010 at 18:38 »
I would strongly disagree with some of the above post!
Rescobie is awesome early season with crystal clear water and has a hell of a lot of big fish in it, including big browns and pike!
From July to the  Mid of september it goes very green and is not really worth it but thats fine with me as thats when lintrathen fishes best!
Lintrathen for your first time is not ideal as for one its very open and if the wind picks up it wont be much fun for a novice fishing on a fast drift! On rescobie you have the option of an anchor and for a novice this is a good option to have incase you are struggling!
Lintrathen also has petrol motors where as rescobie has little electrics which is easier for a first time :z16
If you want a day with myself on either Lintrathen,Rescobie or Butterstone i would easily take youy out and hopefully put you onto some fish!
I fish all of the above waters alot and would be going out anyway  :z18

Cheers  bigtroot  

thanks for the info think i ll be going there second weekend in may so hopefully the water will be clear and mabe i'll have a session at lintrathen, thanks for the heads up boatwise but i used to work in similar boat 12 hours a day think i can use the force to navigate them ha ha (never become a hydrographical surveyor), as for a days fishingif your heading out gimmie a pm im always up for a trip.

cheers again adam.

GARYBOY

« Reply #4 on: 15/02/2010 at 19:59 »
Judging by that photos Bigtroot lives up to his name :z4 :z4

Barry Robertson

« Reply #5 on: 15/02/2010 at 20:36 »
Out of all the water likes of menteith,carron, lintrathen etc, Rescobie is the trickies water to work out. But once you know how it ticks its one of the best wee waters about  :wink. I had lots of sore heads after poor days on rescobie and i often see people who fish it for the first time in the boat house afterwards talking about how door it was but yet the regulars always seam to have good success!
Fish dont move much on the surface at rescobie till late on in the evening and its not unusual not to see any fish moving through out the day, this is its when its good to know where the likely fish holding areas are  :z18

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 15/02/2010 at 21:41 »
Judging by that photos Bigtroot lives up to his name

Garyboy,
Don't swell his head  ::)

Barry Robertson

« Reply #7 on: 15/02/2010 at 21:52 »
Quiet barbra!
Hows your new fritz anyway??

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 15/02/2010 at 22:14 »
Still tying Salmon & Broon Troot stuff but I'll get round to it. :z7

Bronzebommer

« Reply #9 on: 16/02/2010 at 19:21 »
Whats the crack with Pike fishing on Rescobie ???

Matt

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com