Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Geordie

A question of balance
« on: 11/02/2010 at 20:29 »
I recently went in to purchase a Greys Xflite 9' #8 from a local tackle supplier. The rod had been ordered for me and  I held it comfortably as a number of reels were laid out on the counter for me to try. The staff were initially persuasive towards their #8 reel opinion but became increasingly interested as I discounted #8 wt reel after #8wt reel after releasing my hold to leave only my index finger as the pivotal fulcrum for the rod and reel to balance on.

Each time the rod tip tilted floorwards, I shook my head. None of the #8 reels kept the rod tip level.

A reel #10/11 with a coil of #8 line and a reel of backing draped over the reel handle finally left me with a casting dream that sits level and perfectly balanced on my single finger as I release my hold between casts.

The rod weight is 3.34oz and the reel I eventually purchased was 9.1oz. 

Has anyone had a similar experience with this question of balance?

Geordie West.

Matt Henderson

Re: A question of balance
« Reply #1 on: 11/02/2010 at 20:39 »
Geordie,

Its an interesting point you make.  I was reading on another forum about how a double handed rod is being developed that has a long threaded bolt inserted into the bottom of the butt section.  On it can be placed brass weights.  With the idea that manufacturers are constantly trying to get the reels to be lighter then rods don't balance at the point you would like them too. 

I know my 15fter is nice and balanced with my hand at the top end of the grip and I soon realise when I've not holding to far towards the reel becasue its hard work to hold it up. 

Its a wonder the tackle companies haven't cottoned on to it.  Is there such a thing as a Greys Xflite to match the rod?

cheers

Matt

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 11/02/2010 at 20:41 »
Hi Geordie

Interesting first post  :z16 I found most of my reels balace my rod by luck rather than good jusdgement. To digress  slightly it really annoys me when some manufacturers quote reel weights in gramms and some on ounces.

I've never tried it but I belive most rods cast better without a reel.

:z18

Jim

Geordie

« Reply #3 on: 11/02/2010 at 20:54 »
Matt

I have perfect balance with the Daiwa Lochmor #10/11 reel on my Greys Xflite 9' #8 with an #8 line.

You are right about the add on weights - there is a product called Rod Balancer that enables you to add weights back over the end of the rod handle.

The idea of lightening the reel does nothing for your lower back or forearm. I've found that if the rod and reel balance, leaving your rod perfectly level on nothing but your single index finger, the weight of the reel is irrelevant.

However, the feel of a fulcrum balance on your finger is fantastic and very gratifying during fishing.

Geordie West   

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #4 on: 11/02/2010 at 21:15 »
This was discussed recently in a tackle shop i was spending too much time in. Very interesting discussion and the general feeling was that balancing a rod and reel on your finger is an old myth, from the days of brass reels and cane rods.

1. Rods will cast very well with no reel attached.
2. Do you cast with your rod held horizontally?
3. A heavy reel actually causes casting faults as it encourages the wrist to "break"
4. The reel will be balanced on the rod at different points depending on how much line you have on/off the reel.
5. When casting, it is the weight of the line that matches the rod, not the reel.

Personally, i think if you find an outfit that suits you and you are happy with then go with it. Most of my reels are very light on the rod but this is just personal preference.

Maybe a casting instructor like ben D would be able to have the definitive say?? :z16

Or even a certain Mr Barrio who designs fly rods?  :z7

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 11/02/2010 at 22:33 »
Geordie

Personal taste mate :z16
A heavy reel will unbalance a modern rod and make it less castable. it also reduces the ability to shape the line. IMHO
I understand what you are looking for, but i'm afraid i go with the Myth.
From many hours spent casting, heavy reels get tiring and can cause you problems with elbows and wrists. Its to do with pendulums. Wheras with a light reel the rod may feel tip heavy, static, but once you are casting the rod is in the air so you don't notice it, what you get is the full feel of the rod and less demand on your joints.
Take the reel off sometime and just cast with the reel in your pocket, it will surprise you. It will feel odd at first but give a good try and see if there is a difference in theay you can cast :z16

Sandy

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 12/02/2010 at 00:47 »
With singlehanded rods, most modern reels rated for lines to match the rod should be o.k.  Quoting a rod weight means very little, how the rod will feel depends upon how the mass is distributed over the length of the rod.  A 6oz singlehanded rod will feel light in the hand if most of that 6 ounces is in the lower two sections and in the reel seat.  Personally I like a rod to sit at least level and preferably tip up with an appropriately sized reel, if it did not I would not buy it.  This is more important with salmon rods, if you have a 15' outfit that is heavy in the tip it is tiring to fish, the longer the rod, the more important it is that the outfit is well balanced..  As for reels that are too heavy, I think it would have to be a lot too heavy to exagerate casting faults, with most things in fishing it is a lot to do with personal preferance.

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com