Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Cal

Capes
« on: 11/02/2010 at 17:39 »
Hi Folks
I am about to put four of my light sussex cockerals to the freezer. The capes are in very fine condition and I wondered if anybody would first of all have some ideas aboet how to preserve them (borax, salt?) And since I don't tie all that many flies would anybody be interested in having a couple of capes. Not sure if light sussex are used in many flies but I remember when I was a member at Newburgh the locals thought they were the bees knees for the sea trout tied Ythan terror style.

Rob Brownfield

Re: Capes
« Reply #1 on: 12/02/2010 at 11:28 »
Done the same with my "grizzle" cockeral...too big for his boots so away he went to the coup in the sky!

Anyway, remove cape, and scrape off any flesh/fat.

Into a zip lock bag and into the freezer for 2 weeks. This kills any living insects. Remove for 48 hours and re freeze for another 2 weeks. This allows any eggs that survived to hatch when they warm up and then be killed when refrozen.

Now wash with a natural detergent and blow dry. (you can miss this step out, but it makes for a less smelly tying box)

Now tack to some plywood and apply around a 1/8 to 1/4 inch layer of Borax (Available online). Either leave for 6 weeks or place a fan to blow air across the surface and leave for 3-4 days.

Remove the borax (hoover/brush/shake etc) and store in a zip lock bag.

Thats how I have done mine, and pheasants/Ducks/Grouse..and currently a deer hide. There are many methods, using salt, Borax/salt mix etc and they all work to greater or lesser degrees.

Hope that helps

Cal

« Reply #2 on: 12/02/2010 at 18:30 »
Thanks for that Rob, will give it a try tomorrow. Seems a shame to just throw them away.  Any suggestions for flies that might use light sussex.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 12/02/2010 at 21:39 »
Thats how I have done mine, and pheasants/Ducks/Grouse..and currently a deer hide. There are many methods, using salt, Borax/salt mix etc and they all work to greater or lesser degrees.

Good info Rob, bet Cas is thrilled about the deer hide. 

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 13/02/2010 at 09:13 »
Robs' advice is spot on and, when I could be arsed, that was the way I prepped capes/rabbit skins etc etc.

I think I still have a light sussex cape somewhere, left over from my days when I bred bired for their feathers
** cough** just realised that was over 20 years ago  :shock
Light Sussex birds tend to come in a small variety of colours but usually have reasonably strong 'barring' in the centre of the feather, particularly towards the end of the neck and into the saddle. I suppose how much use they are largely depends on what colour the condemned birds are.
Seem to recall I dyed a couple of the cock capes claret, but the hassle was the fibres on the capes weren't up to much - essentially I ended up with an expensive version of a chinese quality dyed cape  :oops

Streamers and terrors would seem to be the best bet, unless the capes are top top quality  :z16

:z3

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com