Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Thats a bonnie fish Graham  :z16

:z18

Jim

Graham Strachan

Cheers Jim, fingers crossed there will be a few more daft eens aboot this year as well!

Barry Robertson

That was a nice fish Graham.
Where did you fish on the southy??
Nice to see where everyone has been fishing cheers for taking the time to reply, some nice reading on this thread  :z18

Graham Strachan

Where did you fish on the southy??

I was on Kinnaird Lower, I`d never fished it before so I couldnae even find the place! Anyway, I ended up parking at the old bridge at the bottom of the beat and walked up river, there was one lad fishing but he was a man of few words so I kept heading up-stream till I saw another guy. Well, I was just walking up to see if he knew where my beat started when the old goat dropped his rod and practically ran down the bank going off on one accusing me of poaching and spinning on his water which was strange because I only had my fly rod!
After some more ranting and finger poking in my face I kindly offered him the option of my priest over his head or for him to bugger off so he high-tailed it back up to his hut! Not a good start to the day!
The water was very low and the fish weren`t taking and when a couple of guys turned up at the hut i headed down for a news as you do but they just blanked me so I though bugger this and headed home!
Definetly not my most memorable of days!

Barry Robertson

I will have a couple of days on the Middle/lower beat of Kinnaird this year when its cheap  :oops, Its a good wee beat when the water is good but when its low its hard work!
Will also try the westy again which is always worth a bash  :z18

Graham Strachan

I was only £20 for that day so at least I hadn`t forked out a fortune.

I`ve never fished the Westwater, just had a look at the day/week permit prices, are they not a bit expensive?
What are you for a season ticket with the Brechin angling club?

Barry Robertson

No idea what they cost now i just got a gues ticket!
I was a member when i was young but now living in Montrose its a hassle trying to rejoin, it wasnt expensive for the day ticket anyway!
I always fish kinnaird when its catch and release as the tickets are always between £20 -£50.
The southesk council beat in Brechin is always worth a pop at £3.50 for a 24hr ticket and the sea troot are slowly getting back to what they use to be like before the netting got mad! Plenty salmon there also  :wink

Iain Goolager

Poor season for galavanting :z6

Fished Raemoir, Midmar, Artloch, Waulkmill, Dalgetty, Federrate, Loch Park, Loirston, Shandra, Beannie, Rescobie, Loch Saugh, Loch Earn, Loch Insch, Forfar Loch, Monikie, Rescobie, Aboyne ...........................Haddo, with the Float Tube Gatherings being the best outings

River Don Kintore, Inverurie, Kemnay, Alford, Lower & Upper Parkhill......................??

River Dee Banchory Devenick

Westwater 

Can't think!   Most memorable outings? catching a 23" Brown upstream nymphing @ Kemnay, Fishing the summer nights (after midnight) on Loirston with fish rising everywhere, Salmon on the singlehander, float tubing any new loch, they are all good outings it's easier to list the s*** ones!

Iain

Ben Dixon

Last year, I fished the Don, Kintore and just below most often.  Also Fished Inverurie, Alford, Monymusk, Fetternear, Semeil, Kildrummy, Edinglasie & Candacraig, Parkhill, Stoneywood, Castle Forbes & Tornashean, council water on the Urie and the only stillwater I fished was Haddo.  Other places were various beats on the Dee, Brae Water on the Spey, a few lochs in Assynt and a few marks in the sea.

This year I intend to fish most of the above again, can see Kildrummy getting a good hammering, nice water, very cheap, easily accessibe and full of nice trout, will have a good crack at Fetternear this season too.  Other than the Don, I will make a point of getting to Kenmore on the Tay for a day or two and will definitely get back down to the Annan. Assynt in June, Vermont in August and Mexico is on for April.

Best days last year, 4 grilse & a 7lb brownie in 90 mins from the middle Don and evening fishing almost every night throughout June when the Tiny Grey Sedge were hatching on the Don.  Other highlight was a Spring salmon from the Spey and the Don in the day.  If the 2010 season turns out to be even half as good as 2009 it will be a good one.

Cheers

Ben

murph

Interesting reading guys so I'll add my pennith worth.

Fished Haddo, Loch Insch, Lochter and Raemoir last year, a poor selection I know but like everyone else, I too don't get out enough.

My most memorable weekend was fishing Haddo on a Saturday and catching my first double there with a fish of approx 13lb, then fishing Lochter on the Sunday and catching my largest bow to date. A torpedo at around 18lb.  :z4

Most memorable 2 hours was a 1st thing stint at Loch Insch where I landed 4 fish in my first 6-7 casts, all on the dry.

Hopefully get out more this year though!

Paul B

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com