Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: Braided Leader Loops?
« Reply #15 on: 09/02/2010 at 00:30 »
The most pleasing set up that I have used myself, is nail knotting the last foot to 2 ft of a furled leader on to the end of my fly line, a furled leader with a seamless ring on the end to enable a loop to loop connection.

I like this method .......... but many anglers find it a tad tricky to do the nail knot :z6

Cheers
Mike

Dutchfly

« Reply #16 on: 09/02/2010 at 19:57 »
I take a braided leader from Orvis and snip off the back loop. Then I stick the point of the flyline into the leader and whipfinish. Sort of a very, very long braided loop...

CU

Jeroen

gunner100

« Reply #17 on: 09/02/2010 at 20:35 »
Like others I also make my own braided loops. The only innovation I can claim is to use TWO silicone tubes. The braided loop is about 6" long, 3" 0f which is slid up the fly line and the other 3" contains the loop. One of the tubes is at the top of the braid on the fly line and the other covers the fly line/braided loop join. This is the part which gets a blob of superglue. I never get a cracked flyline unless the line is several years old. The extra silicone tube seems to take up the flex and  strain on the upper fly line/braided line so avoiding the cracking.

Lyall

Irvine Ross

« Reply #18 on: 09/02/2010 at 20:41 »
I'm not fond of furled leaders. They tend to get in a mess when you catch them on brambles and thistles.

I just needle knot a tapered leader directly onto the end of the fly line. Then I cut it back to where the diameter is about the same as 6lb breaking strain  material and tie in a leader ring. The butt section lasts for many outings and all you need to do is replace the section of the leader below the leader ring as required. The needle knot slides through the rings nae bother.

It's easy to do and you lose very little of the fly line when you have to needle knot in a new tapered leader.

Irvine

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com