Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Bronzebommer

Re: Rod Building Questions
« Reply #30 on: 01/03/2010 at 19:14 »
As promised.....

I didn’t make such a good job of this project. I’m a bit disappointed to be honest, :z6 I seemed to have a bit of trouble getting a good even finish on the epoxy. Haven’t had this problem before, maybe I rushed it a bit, still there is always the next one. :z3

Mike Barrio

« Reply #31 on: 01/03/2010 at 19:30 »
Looking great in the photos Matt :z16

Best wishes
Mike

stickleback

« Reply #32 on: 01/03/2010 at 19:31 »
You guys are fair getting my rod building juices flowing again  :z4  

Unfortunately I think I've blown this year's official budget by getting a very nice Marquis reel for my salmon rod and joining the ADAA.  Still, it's never too soon to start scheming for an early Christmas present  :z13  

Matt Henderson

« Reply #33 on: 01/03/2010 at 19:33 »
that looks great Matt!  I hope you enjoy using it!

Cheers

Matt

Irvine Ross

« Reply #34 on: 02/03/2010 at 08:33 »
Another very nice rod by another Matt.

Really like the reel seat. Only a month to go now before the brown trout season opens :z16

Irvine

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #35 on: 02/03/2010 at 09:17 »
I seemed to have a bit of trouble getting a good even finish on the epoxy. Haven’t had this problem before, maybe I rushed it a bit

More likely to be the temperature :z16 Controlling the temp with litebuild especially can make a huge difference to the way things turn out. I had epoxy go cloudy and all sorts because of the cold.
Gotta keep it warm, sudden changes, like the heating going off during the night if its a cold night can cause werd stuff with epoxy. That would be my guess.

The other possibility is grease on the blank, even from your hands, that cause a dimpled effect or strange petrol like marks on the surface.

I've learned everything the hard way :roll  so don't worry about it. just build another one :z4 :z4

That said from what i can see , it is looking plenty good enough to fish with, if you aren't happy with the epoxy give it a good wipe of de-greaser, lightly sand any high spots making sure you dont go through to the thread :shock. And put on another coat :cool:

Sandy

Bronzebommer

« Reply #36 on: 02/03/2010 at 10:01 »
The epoxy wasn’t cloudy, I have experienced the petrol like rainbow effect before, I just couldn’t get a flat even finish. I think i may have tried to rush it and put too much on.  This was fine on my #5 Lochstyle but maybe the smaller diameter made a difference??? I apply it in the kitchen which is nice and warm and after it has dried enough to keep its shape I transfer it to the airing cupboard.
I will have to take your advice Sandy and just build another. :z4 :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #37 on: 23/04/2010 at 15:30 »
Matt,
as sandy says, temperature can make or break a smooth finish. I warm the epoxy before use and have the room about 22-24 degrees c.
Also, when applying, don't go round the whipping, go across it. This spreads the epoxy much better and gives it a better chance to flow into a smooth finish.
I often find I don't have enough time to do a whole rod so will do the top two sections seperate from the bottom two. Might be a little wasteful but so far my butts are beautiful and smooth lol.
That petrol type haze is caused by moisture in the air by the way.
You are making some nice rods there, next step a matching set of Pike rods!!

Paul Rankine

« Reply #38 on: 23/04/2010 at 23:51 »
Hi Bronzebommer,
                               Yep, you put too much on .
Paul.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com