Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

Rod Building Questions
« on: 06/02/2010 at 20:55 »
Okay I've wrapped three out of four sections of my Barrio 3wt I've just got the top section left.  And I have a few burning questions. 

1.  Is the tip ring only held on by hot melt glue?

2.  How do ensure all the rings are perfectly alligned? I was lucky enough that the Sandy had splined the blanks and marked the position for the rings on each section.  What I'm wondering about is how do you that and ensure that all those little marks are perfectly alligned from the but section to the tip? 

3. On one of my rods there are wee dots to line up the section I would like to do that on my rod but I'm unsure how I would go about it on the male part of the two sections of you get my drift.

Cheers

Matt

Sandy Nelson

Re: Rod Building Questions
« Reply #1 on: 07/02/2010 at 00:57 »
Okay I've wrapped three out of four sections of my Barrio 3wt I've just got the top section left.  And I have a few burning questions. 

1.  Is the tip ring only held on by hot melt glue?

2.  How do ensure all the rings are perfectly alligned? I was lucky enough that the Sandy had splined the blanks and marked the position for the rings on each section.  What I'm wondering about is how do you that and ensure that all those little marks are perfectly alligned from the but section to the tip? 

3. On one of my rods there are wee dots to line up the section I would like to do that on my rod but I'm unsure how I would go about it on the male part of the two sections of you get my drift.

Cheers

Matt

1. Yes :z16

2. Pick up the section and look along it, there is a small amount of movement available for rings before you epoxy. So slight adjustments can be made easily :z16 Just be gentle. :wink

3. Once the rod is complete and finished, put it together, make sure all the section align. Then using enamel paint (humbrol) put the tiny dots on the joints one on the male, one on the female. With the rod assembled the spacing is easily to sort out. :z16 Use any colour you like, but put the dots on the ring side :wink it will look much better. A toothpick is often better than a brush for this task :z3

Hope this helps

Sandy

Matt Henderson

« Reply #2 on: 07/02/2010 at 08:54 »
Thanks Sandy.  That should help lots.  I'm still surprised that all that holds the tip ring on is hot melt glue?!?

Cheers

Matt

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 07/02/2010 at 08:56 »
  I'm still surprised that all that holds the tip ring on is hot melt glue?!?

Even with heavy duty boat rods :shock :z16

It also allows you to be able to change them very easily, should they wear.

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 07/02/2010 at 12:51 »
They is very little pressure on a tip ring., even when the rod is in a fighting curve there is no pulling on the ring and if it was slightly miss aligned, the whole blank will twist very very slighly to compensate...with the line always coming off the very centre of the ring.

You can buy rings that have two flat "prongs" that feed down the blank and are whipped in place, but these tend to be stand off rings used for coarse rods or beach casters which can have extreme twisting forced applied due to heavy weights and casting styles (Pendulum, off the ground etc)

Like Sandy, I use a wee dot to make alignment marks, but with a white pen. I may, if its a special rod, use a piece of thread woven at 90 degrees to the whipping that goes on the joins. Its very subtle but a pain to do, hence only done on "Specials".

Please post pictures once its finished :)

Matt Henderson

« Reply #5 on: 10/02/2010 at 20:38 »
using the flex coat stuff it says the minimum quantity to mix is 2cc of each part.  But I did two varnished two sections on saturday and had loads and loads left over.  Is it actually okay to get away with mixing less than 2cc?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 10/02/2010 at 21:56 »
Matt

I have experimented for years with this, and have always failed to get a good mix with less than 2cc of each part. Don't know why :z6
So i stick to the 2cc :z16 and get a perfect finish everytime.
My solution in the end was to use a 4 bank rod turner. That way i could turn all 4 section at the same time and make better use of the epoxy. I can get 3 rods out of every pack of epoxy :z16

The rod turner is probably only a good investment though if you are to make a few rods.

Sandy

stickleback

« Reply #7 on: 10/02/2010 at 22:12 »
I think they recommend the minimum because it's more difficult to accurately measure out small amounts and therefore its very difficult to get the proper 50 / 50 ratio of resin and hardener, which means there's more likelihood of it being off to an extent that it affects it's hardening properties.  Or put another way, the bigger the measurements, the easier it is to get them accurate to the extent that any wee over or under estimation is unlikely to adversely affect the mix.  Being a wee bit out with a small amount of mix is likely to be a greater ratio than a wee bit wrong in a large amount of mix.  Does that make sense ?  :z4  :z4  

Flexcoat is pretty gloopy so unless you had really narrow / finely calibrated syringes for measuring out pin point small amounts of each I'd stick with the manufacturers recommendation.   Don't be tempted with fine syringes with silicone rubber plungers (like the narrow ones you can easily get) because apparently the silicone knackers the hardening qualities of Flexcoat and it will never dry / cure properly.  

I know what you mean though, you always have far more mixed than you can use and it feels wrong to bin it.  :z6

:z18

Cammy

Matt Henderson

« Reply #8 on: 10/02/2010 at 22:48 »
Thanks guys. Wrapped the top section tonight. Put it all together and varnished it and it's turning now. Can't wait to see what it looks like in the morning!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 10/02/2010 at 23:32 »
Excellent Matt .... we'll be looking forward to seeing it too :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Matt Henderson

« Reply #10 on: 11/02/2010 at 09:04 »
so the bottom two sections have been done twice now and the top two sections just one.  So another few coats to go.  I think my biggest mistake so far is that I didn't use the same brand of thread for the colour contrast on the wraps.  So its got a slightly different diameter and it makes a tiny wee bump on each wrapping.  Still it's looking pretty good so far. 

One last question though if I write the rod name etc on the butt section do I need to flexcoat over the top of the enamel paint?

Mike - can you arrange for Haddo to be ice free soon so that I can get a cast with it?

Cheers

Matt

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 11/02/2010 at 09:11 »
Mike - can you arrange for Haddo to be ice free soon so that I can get a cast with it?
:z4  :z4  :z4

I wish ....... I'm really starting to get fed up with this ice now :z6

Yes, a coat over the paint :wink

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 11/02/2010 at 09:24 »
:z4  :z4  :z4

I wish ....... I'm really starting to get fed up with this ice now :z6

Yes, a coat over the paint :wink

Cheers
Mike

Is Haddo iced up? Why??

:wink

Matt Henderson

« Reply #13 on: 11/02/2010 at 09:43 »
just read Bronzebommers thread about his rod I think I'm going to get one of those pens from tescos. And some alcohol wipes in case I make a spelling mistake! 

I've quite enjoyed the process really.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 11/02/2010 at 12:50 »
just read Bronzebommers thread about his rod I think I'm going to get one of those pens from tescos. And some alcohol wipes in case I make a spelling mistake! 

I've quite enjoyed the process really.

PHOTOS!!!! :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com