Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Weighing scales
« on: 05/02/2010 at 20:30 »
I am looking for some scales for trout fishing. Something that I can use with my net. Compact, lightweight, waterproof and cheap.
Personally delivered by a beautiful sexy nymphomaniac female would also be nice but I dont want to ask for too much.
Any suggestions?

Iain Goolager

Re: Weighing scales
« Reply #1 on: 05/02/2010 at 21:00 »
Noel,
what about the Mcleans weigh nets? I've a small one (cheeky) I think it goes to 14lb  :roll but there are a few types with corresponding weights.

Orvis have a few in stock.

Iain

Peter McCallum

« Reply #2 on: 05/02/2010 at 22:38 »
Try something like 'electronic pocket scales' in E-bay. I got a set which will fit in a pocket for around a fiver.

Peter

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 06/02/2010 at 10:11 »
Noel,

Maclean weigh net is your best option really.  Or you could get a Salter spring balance and hang the net complete with fish from it, and simply subtract the weight of the net.

Cheers

Ben

Noel Kelly

« Reply #4 on: 06/02/2010 at 10:40 »
Thanks guys, the electronic pocket scales are just what I wanted. Had looked on e bay before asking here but including the word pocket in the search brought up a few suitable options.
Those Maclean nets look the biz alright but I don't want my current net going redundant.

Richard Tong

« Reply #5 on: 06/02/2010 at 16:55 »
All,

I have been told that McLean are bringing out a 7lb weigh net (think it is a short handle one) which will suit the UK river Trout market. At the moment with the 14lb net which I have had for years the graduations are every 4oz which makes for a bit of guesswork when it comes down to how accurate you are with your weights. We have wanted one that weighs less with more accuracy and it looks like there may be one on the way sometime. I believe Chris Hartley of Guide Flyfishing imports them into this country but am not sure. What I can say is that they are very good and 6 or 7 years ago when I first purchased one we did not trust them so always double checked with a 7lb Little Samson and the net was always spot on so we don't bother checking any more. Sometimes we check one net against another to make sure they are reading the same but usually do this at the start of the season just the once.

If the 7lb net comes out I will get one even at £40+

Richard

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com