Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Stuart Smith

fishing loch lomand?
« on: 17/01/2010 at 11:48 »
Hi all

has anyone ever fished loch Lomand?

I was speeking to a lad i know from down that way the other night and hes had good sea trout and a few salmom on the fly and the dap over the past few years.
A few years ago i fished the river leven a couple of times a week and there was alot of sea trout in the river

i know theres big brownies in the loch
mite be worth a try in may time

stuart

Hamish Young

Re: fishing lock lomand?
« Reply #1 on: 04/02/2010 at 12:25 »
No...... but I have fished Loch Lomond  :z4

Sea trout and salmon on the dap and troll, hired a boat from Balmaha. Think it was from this place but was 20+ years ago now http://www.balmahaboatyard.co.uk/boathire.html

The islands, eastern side, was where we did best and it would have been in late July that we fished there.

Rob may have had a go there for Pike  :?

:z3

Barry Robertson

« Reply #2 on: 04/02/2010 at 12:59 »
Think Jimdoyle has done quite alot on Lomond, maybe worth asking him  :wink

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 05/02/2010 at 08:57 »
Rob may have had a go there for Pike  :?

Indeed I may have :) Best buddy has a boat on there that we use for fly fishing for the Pike. Rather interesting place to fly fish as we tend to get away from the more widley known Pike "hotspots".

My only real knowledge of the Salmon trolling is that they are a pain in the back side as will often troll through other peoples lines...  :z8

I have seen some BIG rises of fish over the years, normally well out into the loch, as if in the middle of deep water, but if you then go over the area with a sounder you find sunken a plateau or weedbed...all interesting stuff when bobbing about.

Word of warning though, the boats from MacFarlanes boat yard are not the best in a big wind. Make sure you run for cover if the wind picks up.

Barry Robertson

Re: fishing loch lomand?
« Reply #4 on: 08/02/2010 at 16:55 »

Iain Goolager

Re: fishing loch lomand?
« Reply #5 on: 08/02/2010 at 23:29 »
Good find Bazra and great fish.

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com