Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Irvine Ross

Re: February "step by step" fly tying competition entries
« Reply #30 on: 10/02/2010 at 08:38 »
Nice one Ian

Great minds think alike. Swop your glass bead for my deer hair wing and you have almost the same pattern :z16

Irvine

Ben Dixon

« Reply #31 on: 12/02/2010 at 16:34 »
Pink Bucktails have arrived, have two in stock :z4

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #32 on: 18/02/2010 at 01:16 »
Pink Bucktails have arrived, have two in stock :z4

Ben

What did the soup taste like?

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #33 on: 18/02/2010 at 10:25 »
I don't get it?!?

:z4 :z4 :z4

Irvine Ross

« Reply #34 on: 18/02/2010 at 17:12 »
It's weel seen y've never made a pot o soup chiel. Ye canna mak gweed soup withoot stock. :z12

Saggyloops

Alex Burnett

« Reply #35 on: 18/02/2010 at 20:42 »
I don't get it?!?

:z4 :z4 :z4

Apparently Sandy, it tasted a bit between Flowering Cherry  :shock & Carnation  :shock :shock ....Here he is still a bit PINK aboot the Gills :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Maybe Iain will get it Noo!!!

Alex

Iain Goolager

« Reply #36 on: 18/02/2010 at 21:02 »
Oh! it lives!
 Hello Alex..................yes I got it :-*

Where've you been hiding?

Any fishing going on or new patterns?

Iain

Alex Burnett

« Reply #37 on: 18/02/2010 at 21:18 »
Oh! it lives!
 Hello Alex..................yes I got it :-*

Where've you been hiding?

Any fishing going on or new patterns?

Iain

I am currently in a shipyard called Lamjana, which is near the villages of Preko & Kali, which is not far from Zadar which is in Croatia.. :z4 :z4 :z4

No new patterns yet but hoping to go fishing about the end of the Month or middle of March depending on when this project finishes, one of the locals has promised to take me :wink :wink

Alex

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #38 on: 19/02/2010 at 02:41 »
All this talk of spiders got me going and with Iains abuse of the snipe and purple, i was thinking perhaps i'll share my variation on the Dark Watchett :z16
This is the best place for the SBS's so i thocht i'd put it here. NOT an entry mind :wink

Hook: Partridge SLD size 14
Thread: Pearsalls no.8
Hackle: The outer covert of a Coot (moorhen is too green, the original calls for jackdaw throat, if you have one :z6, coot is as close as i get)
Body: A length of Pearsalls no.6a and some natural mole hair.

Step 1. Place hook in vice.

Step 2. Take wing and select an appropriate feather.

Step 3. Remove flue from base and Check it for length, the fibres should be the length of the plain shank of the hook.

Step 4. Start thread 1 turn back from eye and make approx 3-4 turns. Trim the tag end.

Step 5. Take the feather and stroke back the fibres and tie in the feather by the tip, again 3-4 turns and trim the tip.

Step 6. Tie in length of orange silk (6a) and wrap back to inline with the point of the hook.

Step 7. Twist the orange and purple silk together, so it is nicely varigated.

Step 8. Lightly apply a nice sticky wax, to the twisted section.

Step 9. Take a small pinch of mole hair.

Step 10. Lightly touch the waxed thread with the mole fur , keep it very sparse but even.

Step 11. Wind the dubbed thread up to about 3 turns of thread before the hackle. And trim the loose end of orange silk. You should get a nice mix of the purple and the orange showing through the mole.

Step 12. Make 2 turns of the hackle from the front, back towards the thread and tie in the hackle.

Step 13. Make two turns of thread to secure and remove the rest of the hackle stalk.

Step 14. Wind thread thread through the hackle carefully, stroking the fibres so none get trapped or folded backwards.

Step 15. Gently hold the fibres back from the eye and bring the thread forward to the head area, don't tie the fibres down, just bring the thread forward.

Step 16. Form a neat head with 3 or 4 turns of thread and then a small whip finish. Stroke the fibres forward so they are perpendicular to the hook then varnish the head carefully with a drop on the tip of a needle so it soaks into the the thread and doesn't wick up the fibres of the hackle.

There you have it the finished Dark Watchett, one of my personal favourites for the Don in spring and autumn. Its best as a middle dropper fly.

Sandy

ps. The original Dark Watchett has the silk the other way round, with the main thread being Orange and the purple is used only for the body. I fancy this as an olive imitation rather than the iron blue, but thats personal preference. Thanks for reminding me Irvine :z16

Tell you what though, this bloody camera doesn't half show up the flaws in what look like perfect little flies :shock

Iain Goolager

« Reply #39 on: 19/02/2010 at 09:23 »

with Iains abuse of the snipe and purple

wasn't abuse Sandy just can't seem to hook anything on it :z8
This Dark Watchett better work! :z7

stand easy

Iain

Irvine Ross

« Reply #40 on: 19/02/2010 at 10:17 »
Sandy

Lovely tying and excellent photography as usual.

I tied a few this winter and followed the dressing in Edmunds & Lee which uses the orange silk for the head. Is the purple head a Don speciality? and, more important will the Don trout like my orange headed ones :z8

We will find out this summer :z16

Irvine

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #41 on: 19/02/2010 at 12:25 »

I tied a few this winter and followed the dressing in Edmunds & Lee which uses the orange silk for the head. Is the purple head a Don speciality? and, more important will the Don trout like my orange headed ones :z8

We will find out this summer :z16

Irvine

Its a personal preference, for iron blues i like it tied this way, with the orange head it strikes me as more of an olive.
I'd use it spring and autumn in purple, perhaps in orange for the summer :z16
I'd reckon the Trout will love the orange head just as much. Variety is the spice of life.

Sandy

Matt Henderson

« Reply #42 on: 19/02/2010 at 14:02 »
A wee parachute off the vice this afternoon whilst I was watching the snow fall outside.

Hook a  12 to 16 ( I used a size twelve so that it was easier to see!)
Thread: orange
Body: black rabbits fur
Rib: pearly tinsel (i unwrapped some pearl mylar braid because I didn't like the pearl tinsel i had)
"Wing" eutral coloured CDC
thorax: red or orange antron dubbing

Place the hook in the vice

Catch in the thread and work it down to just past the bend

Catch in the pearl tinsel

Dub on the black body

Rib the body with the pearl tinsel and trim off the excess

Select about three CDC feathers with fibres the same length as the body of the hook

Tie in the feathers so that the tips extend past the eye of the hook by about the same length as the black dubbed section

Dub on the thorax and whip off the thread and snip off the end.  I normally lift up the CDC and whip finish underneath it and put on the tiniest spot of varnish or zap a gap but be careful not to get it anywhere near the CDC!

And here's one I made earlier with a red thorax

Cheers

Matt

Irvine Ross

« Reply #43 on: 19/02/2010 at 17:34 »
Nice one Matt

Pearl rib on black body seems to be a common theme for February.

cheers

Irvine

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #44 on: 19/02/2010 at 22:27 »
Matt

Nice fly.
I'm interested, what type of rabbit hair did you use? and how easy was it to dub?.
Looking at the picture it has real texture like seals fur, the rabbit i have is very soft and dubs very tight.
Different dubbings are always interesting to see how they pick up the light and what properties they have in the water.
 :cool:

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com