Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Re: February "step by step" fly tying competition entries
« Reply #15 on: 05/02/2010 at 23:56 »
The beads have a small slot on the back of them so I prefer them fitted
the same way. The legs get pushed into the groove and kick forward nicely
I got the beads in somers not sure what make they are. The chamferred ones do the same, just not quite as well.
Also the definition between the beads make it a bit more imitative in silhouette which coupled with the bright body
works for me :z16

I tied it to fish upside down and although it does get bounced about, Fundamentally it fishes point up
helps greatly with snags.

The hook is a Tiemco 206 BL in a 10, the caddis in the river work best for me on a 10 or even an 8 for this type of hook.
IMHO it doesn't need the back colouring but it's about what we each like and gives us confidence.

:z18

Sandy

Ben Dixon

« Reply #16 on: 06/02/2010 at 10:08 »

I tied it to fish upside down and although it does get bounced about, Fundamentally it fishes point up
helps greatly with snags.

IMHO it doesn't need the back colouring but it's about what we each like and gives us confidence.

:z18

Sandy

Am I missing something here or will it swim with its legs in the air?  :z7

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #17 on: 06/02/2010 at 11:00 »
Very funny :z4
as you well know the idea is for the nymph to tumble with the current
like a dislodged natural. Caddis larvae are not renowned for  their swimming abilities :roll
if the legs were on the other side then it would look like the nymph had learned yoga :z4

anyway where are your flies :z8

:z7

sandy

Ben Dixon

« Reply #18 on: 06/02/2010 at 15:32 »
if the legs were on the other side then it would look like the nymph had learned yoga :z4

anyway where are your flies :z8

:z7

sandy

Since when did yoga re-orientate ones legs Sandy?  :grin

My flies are top secret (I'm shit with a camera), have tied about 2 dozen tubes in the last few days:z4

Got pink bucktails coming in, should be here by Thursday.

Cheers

Ben

Matt Henderson

« Reply #19 on: 06/02/2010 at 19:54 »
(I'm shit with a camera),

You're normally spot on with your fish photos surely you can manage a fly or two.  Maybe you just need put them in the sink and take them from underwater?  :z4 :z7 :z4

Can I put my name on one of those pink bucktails?

cheers

matt

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #20 on: 07/02/2010 at 00:45 »

My flies are top secret (I'm shit with a camera),

:roll Another one  :roll I thought it was about sharing ideas and patterns. If the pictures are crap, apologise but don't hide them :z4

Sandy

:z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #21 on: 07/02/2010 at 08:53 »

I'm ready , what do we do with them? :z8

:z12

Sandy

Matt Henderson

« Reply #22 on: 07/02/2010 at 08:58 »
Make something like this

or like this

Ben might have a picture of the original...

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #23 on: 07/02/2010 at 10:36 »
Nice :z12

No tubes though :cry  This is what i think its for  :z7

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #24 on: 08/02/2010 at 23:44 »
Have just taken the photo's for my SBS and although they aren't great I will be posting this month. :z7

Iain

Irvine Ross

« Reply #25 on: 09/02/2010 at 20:21 »
The half hog

So called because it is less than half a sedgehog :wink

This is a fly designed by Norman Irvine which will hover just below the surface on a slow retrieve. It’s meant to represent a failed emerging buzzer (I think).  It is good for days when the fish are showing their dorsal fin at the surface but  refusing to take dry flies. You can also grease the wing and it will work as an emerger.

Materials

Hook : Kamasan B170 sizes 12-16
Thread and Body : black 6/0 thread or any other colour you fancy
Rib : flat pearl tinsel
Wing : deer hair
Abdomen : any dubbing you choose, I have used claret Ice Dub
Cheeks :  gold holographic flat tinsel (or any other colour you fancy)

You could also dub the body if you prefer or make it with stretch floss.

Tie on the thread and catch in the pearl tinsel rib.

Run the thread in tight touching turns all the way round the bend and back up again to the top of the thorax

Clart the thread with head cement and then wind on the rib.

Tie of the rib and clart the body with another coat of head cement. Half hitch and cut away the thread and set aside to dry while you run up another few.

When the body is dry, tie in a short piece of flat holographic tinsel on either side.

Cut a slim bunch of deer hair (this is roe deer bur coastal deer would be fine)

Pop them in the stacker to even the tips and then tie in the wing no longer than the body.

Start tying down with loose turns at the top getting tighter and you wind down. This will reduce the tendency for the hair to flare. Don’t worry too much if it does as the dubbing will bring it back under control.

Trim of the butts of the deer hair, give a dob of head cement on the roots and tie down.

Wind a slim bunch of dubbing over the butts of the deer hair stopping just behind the eye of the hook.

Bring forward the cheeks and tie off. Clip any stray deer hairs that are out of place.
Whip finish and that is it.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #26 on: 09/02/2010 at 21:29 »
Black & Green Biot Buzzer
Materials;
Thread:       Black 8/0, Orvis
Hook:       Kamasan B110 Size 12
Head:      Black Plastic Bead,  John Lewis
Rib:      Mirage Tinsel Small
Cheeks:      Chartreuse Electric Biots, Artifly
Varnish:                S.H.  Hard as Nails

This buzzer has been a firm favourite of mine for as long as I can remember. It has also been used to good effect this Winter, fished under an indicator FLY in extreme conditions when much larger flies may have been seen as more likely to produce.

1)   Slide bead onto hook and secure in vise. Lay on thread and apply a decent taper behind the bead to secure, cut off tag.

2)   Tie in Mirage Tinsel and run it to the desired point on the bend using close wraps.

3)   Run the tying thread back up to the thorax area using either close wraps OR open wraps (wide enough for the tinsel to lie in the’ trough’ – this gives a slightly slimmer body )

4)   Wind the tinsel up the body in open wraps to give the desired segmentation.   Tie off and snip tinsel tag.

5)   Select two biots of required width. Offer each biot up to the thorax where it’s to be tied in and trim the widest end of the biot at an angle, this should match the angle of the bead.  Note that the natural curvature of the biot when folded should marry up with the contour of the thorax. Tie in one biot, rotate the vise & then tie in the other

6)   Run the thread down the thorax area securing the biots further. Regularly folding the nearest biot over when running the thread down the shank will give you an indication of when the thorax ‘start point’  is reached

7)   Build up a suitable sized & shaped thorax – rugby ball is nice. No need be too precious with the smooth shape of the thorax as the varnish will hide all ills. Fold over the biots and secure at the head behind the bead. Trim the tags as close as possible

8)   Bind down any remaining biot tags & whip finish.

9)   Apply as many coats of ‘Hard as Nails’ as you see fit – 1 or 2 suits me.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #27 on: 09/02/2010 at 21:34 »
Another good SBS Irvine  :z16

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #28 on: 09/02/2010 at 21:39 »
good effort chaps.  Not sure when I'm going to get near my vice with a camera this month.  Still got a few days left to go. 

Mike Barrio

« Reply #29 on: 09/02/2010 at 22:06 »
Great step by steps guys :z16

Thanks for posting
Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com