Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Hi folks :cool:

Please post your February step by step fly tying competition entries in this thread  

For details about this competition, please see http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2293.0

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Barry Robertson

Re: February "step by step" fly tying competition entries
« Reply #1 on: 02/02/2010 at 18:08 »
Whats everyones plans for this months fly??
I will be doing the ever popular stillwater lure the Yellow dancer (my way)  :z18

Matt Henderson

« Reply #2 on: 02/02/2010 at 18:44 »
I'm going for a trout pattern this month but I haven't decided which one yet...

Ben_D and Goolager I expect entries this month!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 02/02/2010 at 22:13 »
Is there anything anyone would like to see? :z8

As long as it's not salmon flies, i'll leave that for Matt :z16

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 03/02/2010 at 12:43 »
Is there anything anyone would like to see?

Ooh er missus!

Yes;
the beginning of April
the pavements again
my feet
the back of her indoors
six numbers
retirement
my loons 7th birthday
you sending me a 10' 3wt rod FOC

shall I continue?

seriously though?  what about a nice weighted nymph pattern for bugging the Don

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #5 on: 03/02/2010 at 13:40 »

the back of her indoors

is that significantly better than the front of her indoors?  :z4 :z7 :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 05/02/2010 at 02:30 »

seriously though?  what about a nice weighted nymph pattern for bugging the Don

What a good idea, haven't made any proper flies for a while.

This is my favourite pattern for bugging, I tie them with white or chartreuse for the body, would use cream too if i had any :wink

Hook: TMC 206 BL size 10
Thread: 12/0 black or olive
Body: Chartreuse micro straggle fritz
Head: 2 x 2.8mm black tungsten beads
Legs: Starling upper wing ,lesser covert feather.

Step 1. Put one bead on hook and place hook in vice.

Step 2. Take feather from wing, one like this with pale coloured tips and nice shiny body.

Step 3. Take approx 6-7 fibres (from towards the tip of the feather) and tie in pointing towards the hook point.

Step 4. Trim the butts and make a few turns and whip with 3 turns to finish, cut thread.

Step 5. Remove hook, fit second bead and place hook back into vice.

Step 6. Push bead right up close to the first bead so the thread is compressed and the fibres point forward over the first bead. Tie in thread again hard against the back of the bead to keep it in place.

Step 7. Take another 6-7 fibres from the starling feather, this time from further down the feather so they are slightly longer and tie them in pointing forwards, the tips should sit in a nice line between the first set of legs and the point of the hook.

Step 8. Cut butts and tie down around the bend of the hook.

Step 9. Take a length of micro fritz and tie in. Take thread back up to behind the second bead.

Step 10. Wind micro fritz up the shank in touching turns stroking the fibres each turn to point backwards so none get trapped and tie down at back of bead.

Step 11. Form a neat head at back of bead (3-4 turns whip) and varnish here and between the two beads.

Step 12. Optional. I like to take my scissors and trim the back of the fly so it looks more like dubbing, leaving the legs underneath.

Finished fly the way i like, you could leave it as it was in step 11 if you like, but i prefer it this way.

Fish it as the dropper fly about 10-12 inches above an unweighted nymph and use it Czech nymph style, to search out the water. The Don is full of Rhyac's and Hydro's so this fly in Chartreuse and cream is very effective. If the water is coloured then you could tie some up with gold or silver or orange beads too, its only limited by your imagination.

Another good colour combo for this pattern involves a Gold bead ,an Orange bead and black fritz. Had some really nice fish on that one :wink But i do prefer the more imitative paterns and the rhyac's in the river really are chartreuse :z16

Sandy

Matt Henderson

« Reply #7 on: 05/02/2010 at 07:32 »
excellent fly that, its gone on the to do list like Iain Klinkhammer. 

Ben Dixon

« Reply #8 on: 05/02/2010 at 09:19 »
I like that Sandy, very simple tie too.

Matt What is the "Iain" Klinkhamer?

Cheers

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 05/02/2010 at 10:43 »
I like that Sandy, very simple tie too.

Cheers

Ben

thanks ben :z18 I like simple , especially for flies you can easily loose
means I can tie more :z4 plus they seem to be more effective. Perhaps I just fish them harder
and in more tricky places as you are not so bothered if they get off :z8
who knows , but it's an interesting thought :z7

sandy

Matt Henderson

« Reply #10 on: 05/02/2010 at 14:56 »
Matt What is the "Iain" Klinkhamer?

Cheers

Ben

Ben it was meant to say Iain's Klinkhamer but I missed out the apostrophe s. It was his entry to the December step by step.

Irvine Ross

« Reply #11 on: 05/02/2010 at 16:05 »
Nice one Sandy :z16

Have you tried reversing the second bead so it sits closer to the first? Or does that mean it's liable to slice off the front set of legs?

Irvine

Ben Dixon

« Reply #12 on: 05/02/2010 at 17:09 »
Sandy,

Does the fly fish upside down?  Two W beads on the front of a B110 usually has that effect, something I like when tying heavy stuff as I loose less flies.  What hook is that tied on?

Cheers

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #13 on: 05/02/2010 at 19:41 »
Nice one Sandy  :z16

I feel a tinkering coming on.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #14 on: 05/02/2010 at 21:28 »
Hi All,
          That's a great wee quick and functional Ryhac  larva imitation Sandy , thanks for that .

As Sandy says there are LOTS of Rhyacs in the Don . Just as many Hydropsyche too though .  :z4

So well worth having a good imitation . They are bright green underneath  so the chartreuse is  a good trigger point.

There are some big larvae in the river and I tie mine on a size 14 or even a 12 Kinkhammer hook and I tie it right round the bend . Also colour the dorsal surface brown or  dark olive.

I think also that Ben is correct and Sandy's pattern would fish hook uppermost . That being the case I would bend the hookshank just before I tie in the eyes. Personal preference perhaps.

I have also tried some green beaded Rhyac patterns which use black UV micro fritz (so much for exact imitation !)  tied over black tungsten bead(s) as the thorax with Nymphskin as a thorax cover.  Again tied bendback.
Last seasons results with these were very disappointing !   :roll

Cheers , Paul.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com