Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Barry Robertson

Dubbing for Dries
« on: 29/01/2010 at 21:42 »
What do all you chaps use for fine dries that require dubbing?
Any certain brands you feel are more buoyant or have better water resistance  ???

Thanks
Baz :z18

Iain Goolager

Re: Dubbing for Dries
« Reply #1 on: 29/01/2010 at 22:01 »
Typically I use either Orvis Spectrablend Dubbing (Dry Fly) or Fly Rite Extra Fine Poly Dubbing

Barry Robertson

« Reply #2 on: 29/01/2010 at 22:03 »
Typically I use either Orvis Spectrablend Dubbing (Dry Fly) or Fly Rite Extra Fine Poly Dubbing

Thanks bert  :z16

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 29/01/2010 at 22:20 »
Thanks bert  :z16

I vote for the Orvis dry fly dubbing too.  Dubs very fine and easy to work with.

Ben

Barry Robertson

« Reply #4 on: 29/01/2010 at 22:22 »
You got some in the shop Ben??

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 29/01/2010 at 22:34 »
I have Baz, got the box and should have all colours in individual packs too.  Sorry about your above post, I accidentally modified it rather than quoated it  :oops

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 30/01/2010 at 08:21 »
Baz

Must confess i always like natural furs
I've an interesting box of super soft underfurs, like camel, water rat, hare etc.
They dub very nicely and are always nice and translucent.
Some of them like Water rat are naturally water repellant as well.
Will check when i get home, what its called :z16

I have some natural silk dubbing dyed different colours that is also very good for floating (hydrophobic properties)
and dubs very fine indeed. I got it from Virtual nymph many moons ago, but i'm sure you must still be able to get from somewhere :z8

Cheers

Sandy

Ben Dixon

« Reply #7 on: 30/01/2010 at 09:34 »
Orvis also do pure natural dubbing, undyed.  Not used it but supposed to be quite good.

Cheers

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 30/01/2010 at 14:23 »
This is the stuff i'm using

http://www.sportfish.co.uk/product/natural-furs-dubbing-box

Really nice, just about covers all the natural flies you will come across, great for matching the hatch. :z16

Sandy

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 30/01/2010 at 15:58 »
I have something very similar, nice stuff.
Depending on the pattern, I also use some blended CDC that is dyed and sort of shredded, picked it up at Scone a couple of years back but don't remember which stall  :oops
http://www.swisscdc.com/dubbing.html

Barry Robertson

« Reply #10 on: 30/01/2010 at 19:24 »
Oh and on the question of dries - i just ordered up some size 15-17 tmc 103 bl hooks, do you think the rainbows will straighten them, as after a wee look at some i already have they look quite soft hooks!
Any thoughts  :wink

Ben Dixon

« Reply #11 on: 30/01/2010 at 19:32 »
This is the stuff i'm using

http://www.sportfish.co.uk/product/natural-furs-dubbing-box

Really nice, just about covers all the natural flies you will come across, great for matching the hatch. :z16

Sandy

We do the same stuff Sandy, same dubbing, different package.  I use it a lot, some of the squirrel is excellent for nymphs & thoraxes.

Baz, your 103BL's should be fine, they are quite well tempered and fairly resistant to bending.  Wouldn't recommend fishing them on an 8wt poker or anything but as long as you are carfeul they will be fine.

Cheers

Ben

Barry Robertson

« Reply #12 on: 30/01/2010 at 19:44 »
All my dry work is done on the 5wt so i should be fine, even though the xp is a poker :wink

Paul Rankine

« Reply #13 on: 30/01/2010 at 22:33 »
HI Baz,
             "All my dry work"   , I thought you worked on a rig ?   :wink

Anyway, for my tuppence worth , it's always au naturelle for me .

There is a world of difference between what flies look like to us and how they appear to the troots when on the water.  Lots of the "older " dubbing materials are by far the best in my limited experience . Depends a lot on what you are trying to achieve.

Not saying that there have not been useful material advances but not really in the world of dubbing for me. Might be because I normally dress my wet and dry "naturals" with the absolute bare minimum of dubbing anyway.

Paul.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: 31/01/2010 at 00:56 »
103BL's  will be fine on anything below the 5. The 3wt if you still have it, would be ideal :z16
I've had double figure rainbows on 103BL spiders without hassle on the 3wt :z16

The camel hair in the selection i mentioned, makes almost perfect yellow mays :wink by the way, tie them with a golden badger hackle with lemon yellow thread.. Superb little fly on a 14 for the Don in June
Naturals are the way for me, varying the thread colour will alter the hue of the dubbing as will the density that you dub, its natural translucence can not be beaten

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com