Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Re: Season Permits 2010
« Reply #25 on: 03/02/2010 at 20:59 »
The maximum of 1 treble per lure is going to be a bit of a scream.
If it's difficult to police the no spinning when the water is below the line rule (where a one eyed midget with a tick could tell at a distance if someone was using a spinning or fly rod) then what would be the baillifs chances of enforcing this?

Also would it not be more advantageous to remove the treble hook from game fishing use? why not use lures/spinners/rapalas with doubles, sorry A double.

I personally don't like to spin (for any species) as I don't feel as in touch with either the lure or the fish as when fly fishing but appreciate that Kintore (for example) has a large core of Salmon spinning anglers.......if the water height marker was felt to be incorrectly set then surely there are ways and means of discussing or altering the setting by reasoned debate. Saying F**k it - I'll decide or I've always done it this way doesn't cut it for any rule in these times of fish conservation.

I think permit outlets have a responsibility to ensure the angler is 100% aware of the rules (which is ok for the likes of Sloans but not so easy for the little old lady in the Post Office :z6). I know laminated notices were erected when the hight markers were installed but these didn't last long  :wink

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #26 on: 03/02/2010 at 22:34 »
I  think the bailiffs are doing a pretty good job considering the area that they have to cover.

you're right Ben we're all being a bit hard on them given the miles of river bank that exist.  If it was an estate then they would have more control because you would think that somebody from the estate would be checking to see what the rods were doing.  The council water is a bit different I guess. 

Iain thats also a good point about the people that have bought tickets from the post office.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #27 on: 03/02/2010 at 23:13 »
I think it is quite simple really, you sign something to say that you understand the rules when you buy the ticket, the rules are clearly printed on the ticket.  If buying a ticket over the net you tick a box to say you understand the rules.  Permit outlets should ask the angler if they are able to read and understand the rule, if the angler has reading difficulties then the permit outlet should read the rules to the angler before the angler signs to understand them, I doubt those with reading difficulties would be able to get to the point of being able to purchase over the net.  Rules are rules, break them and loose the right to fish on that water permenantly, if you do not like the rules of a particular beat then go fish somewhere else. 

Iain,

The treble thing has bugged me for a while.  I only fish with doubles as many places now insist on them and as I fish a few different rivers it makes sense to me only to tie on duble hooks.  When fishing tubes I use Salar doubles, these are as heavy as most trebles commonly used for tubes so do not make the fly swim much differently.  I will debarb most of my hooks when fishing in the spring.  Kelts have to go back legally and all springers on the Don should be returned as requested by the DDSFB conservation code however, the jury is till out for me whether a micro barbed double may cause less damage to fish than a than a debarbed hook which will move about more whilst playing a fish.  I don't think I loose any more fish when fishing barbless hooks.

Cheers

Ben

Fisher

« Reply #28 on: 04/02/2010 at 01:05 »
I dont follow the comment by MDH re Aberdeen Council. They dont actually own any fishings. They did a few centuries ago when the fishings on lower Dee and Don were given to the citizens of Aberdeen by various charters by the ruling monarchs of the time.

Unfortunately the Council sold them all off as they were hard up at the time. With the passing of the Centuries nothing has changed - they are still hard up but now have no fishings to sell so are instead putting up the car parking charges

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com