Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Stuart Smith

rod blanks
« on: 24/01/2010 at 02:19 »
hi

im intrested in building a couple of rods.never tryed it before but other folks rods on here look great.the thing is im looking to build a 0 weight

does anyone know where i would get blanks to suit?

ive had a look about the net but im crap on this thing.can never find what im looking for

stuart

Sandy Nelson

Re: rod blanks
« Reply #1 on: 24/01/2010 at 05:18 »
Hi Stuart

Nothing like doing things the easy way first :z6
It'll be tricky work a small blank like that, but i'm sure it will make into a lovely rod.

Only blank i know of, off the shelf is this

http://www.flyrodcrafters.com/servlet/the-8/Sage-TXL-Blank/Detail

Nice guy to deal with too :z16 cant find you one in the UK, unless Simpsons of Turnford have one kicking about :z8

CTS will make them this size, but they are specials :z6

Hope this helps

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 24/01/2010 at 22:38 »
Couple of places in the us do them, have a look at the Mudhole website. They have had them listed in the past. They certainly have 1 weight orvis trout bums listed. They also list sage txl blanks in 000 00 and 0 weights.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 24/01/2010 at 23:06 »
Hi Stuart,

Where do you plan on using it?  I find anything below a 2wt of limited use in all but perfect conditions.  I would maybe build something more general first, it would be a real shame to spend weeks building up a rod that may only se the water twice a year.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 25/01/2010 at 13:37 »
Have to agree with Ben (damn!)...finding conditions for a 0 weight is difficult, finding a 0 weight line even more difficult :)

But...if you need any further help..just shout...ps..new place I have just found in the UK for blanks and bits (some unusual ones) is this place...

http://www.rodbits.co.uk/

Stuart Smith

« Reply #5 on: 31/01/2010 at 11:00 »
thanks for the info

i would problery use it in my local river.its only small and most of the fish are around 8 inch

i mite only get to use it a couple of times a year but it would be great fun.any way how many pieces of gear do we all have that we only use a few times a year?

it would add to the toys list

if i found a o weight blank i would get another heaver blank to have a go at first but i do like to jump in the deep end and hope i can swim

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 31/01/2010 at 15:16 »
...... but i do like to jump in the deep end and hope i can swim

.... and if you do jump in at the deep end the handy thing about having Sandy, Rob and the other experienced rod builders on this forum is you have a lifejacket there when you need it  :wink

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com