Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Bronzebommer

New Rod
« on: 22/01/2010 at 14:28 »
I’m thinking of building a new rod for this season's Salmon on the Don at Kintore and Inverurie. I am thinking about a single handed #8. As I intend to build it myself does anyone have any suggestion on blanks?
I like the look of the Sage 896-4 Z-Axis but dont know where to get the blanks from.
You can get the Sage Xi2 SERIES blanks off Guides 'n' Blanks at a good price, but as it is a saltwater rod would this be suitable? :z8

Any thought’s anyone?

Matt

Rob Brownfield

Re: New Rod
« Reply #1 on: 22/01/2010 at 15:28 »
Forget the Xi2...the 8 weight would not be pleasent to use all day. Its designed for one shot casts to big fish, and quite frankly, I think you would pull out of most Salmon due to its powerful action.

Guides n blanks dont list an 8 weight Z-axis (they have the 7 weight), but I bet they have them in stock/can get them for you.

The 9' 6" x 7 weight blank is £300.

The biggest stockest of Sage blanks in the UK is Jack Simpson of Simpsons of Turnford, Herts. If he can't get, then its off to the US you go :) http://www.simpsonsofturnford.co.uk/ Blanks not listed on his site, but call them....

Worth thinking about is the Lohric range of blanks from Harrisons. About £120 but up there with the best. Many of the top builders in the UK are using these as there base for there "custom" ranges..retailing them at £350-£700 depending who builds them!

Its possible to get some Orvis blanks now, including PowerMatrix, Zero Gravity and T3. Have a word with ben and see which one he recommends for what you are wanting it for. The blanks have to be ordered through the US though. http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Orvis

Bronzebommer

« Reply #2 on: 22/01/2010 at 18:50 »
I knew you would reply to this :z4 :z4 :z4
Thanks Rob, can you get these Harrison blanks from Guides 'n' Blanks?

Also do you think one of these rods could cope with the odd Pike?

Matt

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 22/01/2010 at 23:05 »
Matt,

If you are looking to build, have a look at CTS Affinity Max blanks from NZ.  Had a shot of a few CTS rods recently and have been very impressed and they are cheaper than a Z Axis.  Never really been blown away by the ZA, I would look to a TCX in preference if you really want to go the Sage route and I would forget the Xi2.  For salmon, I would go 9'6" or 10' that is happy casting a 7 or 8wt line or heads of up to about 17 grams. 

Cheers

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 23/01/2010 at 00:50 »
Matt

I'd Agree with avoiding the Xi-2 for the reasons already mentioned :z16
I've cast a few and the are too stiff for what you want.
Lohric sounds good if you can get one :z6 May be a little old fashioned in terms of action now, but thats not necessarily a bad thing, still only ever seen one, so its purely on others opinions ???.

I'd be looking for a 9'6" or 10ft 7wt blank for single handed salmon maybe an 8 if you need it :z6
But if you are casting flies that need an 8 then you are as well using a double hander :z18

I'd be looking for something with a slightly deeper action than a super fast TCX or Z-axis rod for the river.
An SLT would be the best idea or the newer XLT. Don't think SLT blanks are readily available anymore.

I've been talking to CTS quite a bit recently, their Affinty X and MX are exceptional blanks if you can get one.
the MX would probably be better for what you are looking for, not sure where you will get one in the UK (yet :wink)

There are Sage VT2 blanks at Guidesnblanks up to a 796, they nice blanks and nice actions, good price too :z16

I'd be reccomending a Scott A3 blank if you could get one, but you can't, as Scott have stopped selling blanks to the public and have opened their own custom rod shop :cry

A 9'6" or 10ft 7wt winston B11x would be an awesome salmon rod, but you'll have to import the blank.
Check out www.customflyrodcrafters.com  Bob Widgren is a really nice guy and he might have an SLT kicking about :wink that he'll do a good deal on

Mostly depends on budget :z18 But i'd be looking for a B11x or SLT in 9'6" for a 7wt if i went stateside and i'm sure it would be happy with the odd Pike, its the flies that are the issue not the fish :z18

Of course you could always keep it Scottish :z16 and talk to David Norwich he does superb blanks and they are right here in Scotland, an EV2 in 4 piece 9'6" for a 7/8 (ideal rod and action for single handed salmon) would set you back 240 quid.

Personally i'd talk to David first (http://www.davidnorwich.com/MultisectionEV2rods.htm) if that is in budget, if not try to pick up a bargain stateside.

Will be very interested to see what you choose to do. But there has to be something 'right' about a scottish rod for a scottish fish :cool:

Sandy

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 23/01/2010 at 09:40 »
I'd be looking for a 9'6" or 10ft 7wt blank for single handed salmon maybe an 8 if you need it
But if you are casting flies that need an 8 then you are as well using a double hander

I'd be looking for something with a slightly deeper action than a super fast TCX or Z-axis rod for the river.
An SLT would be the best idea or the newer XLT. Don't think SLT blanks are readily available anymore.

Hi Sandy,

I would go for the TCX #7, the reasons for this being that I would probably be Spey casting it most of the time and I would fish an 8 line on it or a head made from a DT10 or 11 chopped back to about 26' and fitted with a 7' polyleader.  For Spey casting a SH rod I would always recomend using one line weight heavier as you are only effectively loading the rod with half of the head, the bit above the apex of the D loop.  A TCX recovers very well hence would still be crisp with the heavier line. 

Cheers

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 23/01/2010 at 13:20 »
Hi Sandy,

I would go for the TCX #7, the reasons for this being that I would probably be Spey casting it most of the time and I would fish an 8 line on it or a head made from a DT10 or 11 chopped back to about 26' and fitted with a 7' polyleader.  For Spey casting a SH rod I would always recomend using one line weight heavier as you are only effectively loading the rod with half of the head, the bit above the apex of the D loop.  A TCX recovers very well hence would still be crisp with the heavier line. 

Cheers

Ben

Interesting. I have two TCX's here with me and neither are as good at shaping the line as some of the other rods i have.
They are very very good into the wind with big bulky flies, but not that hot for trick stuff or much fun for that matter.
However i only use them for into the wind with big flies so they excel , and i really like them.

However for fun i still reach for my Scott S4's. I have always been of the opinion that with larger flies and for shaping casts
then a less stiff rod is easier for most people. It certainly works that way for me.
Magnus always thought the larger SLT's were fantastic Salmon/sea trout rods, which made sense to me as it reflected my experience, both then and now. The winston B11x 10ft 7 wt was a fantastic single handed salmon rod, and rolls and speys brilliantly, its technically a fast rod, but is not a stiff rod, very powerful though.

The Norwich rods recover extremely fast and have the more forgiving action, which is why i would suggest them especially as the prices are far better than the Yank imports

Sandy

Bronzebommer

« Reply #7 on: 23/01/2010 at 18:57 »
I think I will consider one of the Norwich rods before I dive into a Sage.

You should be a salesman Sandy :z4

Matt

Bronzebommer

« Reply #8 on: 23/01/2010 at 19:35 »
Matt,

If you are looking to build, have a look at CTS Affinity Max blanks from NZ.  Had a shot of a few CTS rods recently and have been very impressed and they are cheaper than a Z Axis.  Never really been blown away by the ZA, I would look to a TCX in preference if you really want to go the Sage route and I would forget the Xi2.  For salmon, I would go 9'6" or 10' that is happy casting a 7 or 8wt line or heads of up to about 17 grams.  

Cheers

Ben

Just found the CTS Affinity MX ofr sale on the website.

http://flyfishingmasters.se.server363-han.de-nserver.de/index.php?sid=810c8a7d9d6bcbe49143c4dbd011d4ff&cl=alist&cnid=caf47011986633770.28544910

And the review

http://www.ussingbech.dk/review.html

Interesting..........

Matt

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 23/01/2010 at 20:52 »
Matt

If you can get a CTS blank for a good price, then do it :z16
They are well worth the money and lovely casting tools.

The size you want would be about Nz$330 out here  (about 140 quid at the moment)
very good value indeed, not sure what you would expect to pay in europe, but it gives you an idea :z18

Sandy

Irvine Ross

« Reply #10 on: 24/01/2010 at 10:03 »
Matt

You can buy direct from the Manufacturers in NZ, I did when I bought my salmon blank. The Affinity MX 10' #7 is in their catalogue at US$214 and the 9' #8 is US$203. Just be ready for about £45 of VAT and import tax when it gets to the UK.

http://www.ctsfishing.com/

cheers
Irvine

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 24/01/2010 at 22:31 »
Matt, meadow fishery at miekle Trafford for Harrison blanks. Guides n blanks now do cts blanks, but you need to phone them as they are special order.
The lohrics are not what I would class as old fashioned in action, magnus did a review a while back and compared them to several well known, more expensive us blanks. I really like them because they are built for fishing, not standing in a field trying to break records.

Bronzebommer

« Reply #12 on: 30/01/2010 at 20:51 »
Any ideas how I can get round the import tax? My brother lives in Aukland so hopefully there is a way :roll

Matt

Ben Dixon

« Reply #13 on: 30/01/2010 at 22:58 »
Can either send as a gift with a low value <$50 or so or as a sample with no commercial value.  Problem with doing this is that the insured value will be low so, if it goes missing you will loose big time.

Cheers

Be

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: 31/01/2010 at 03:28 »
Go visit your brother
fill your suitcase :z3

sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com