Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

clark

Cast your eye to the sea :)
« on: 14/01/2010 at 22:15 »
Considering its the only bloody piece of water that isn't frozen i was just wondering what the standard tactics would be for SWFF around the cove harbour area and perhaps the peterhead powerstation out flow  ?? Any advise would be much appreciated  :z16

clark

Rob Brownfield

Re: Cast your eye to the sea :)
« Reply #1 on: 15/01/2010 at 08:28 »
You are a bit early for that just now..well, Cove anyway.

Best bet is to get down at low tide and suss out the lay of the land so to speak, and then fish it 2 hours either side of high tide.

I tend to wait until the Mackeral come in during the summer before I would even consider fishing there. I use an intermediate line and sandeel/fish pattern flies, normally dressed on a Varivas 2600. I like these hooks because of the almost circle hook proportions, that protect the point when the fly skipps across rocks etc.

Fishing actually in the harbour can be rewarding when the Macks push in baitfish (rumours of the off bass too!) but fishing the "open sea" can be interesting, with small pollock and Coalies.

I have never fished the outflow but my understanding is that you would not be able to fly fish it due to the terrain/it being busy. However, if you have access to a boat, thats a different story! :)

Kev Danby

« Reply #2 on: 15/01/2010 at 08:52 »
I cast a fly at the power station in the summer unfortunately I chose a day when the out flow was off for maintenance  :roll I had at least one follow though. You can fly fish if you have the place to yourself. The popular method is a large float with a plug underneath so trying to fly fish might end up with a lot of tangles. In the end I had some fun with the smaller species using a lead weight and limpet for bait.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 15/01/2010 at 09:21 »
You are very limited to the places you can cast a fly into the outflow , probably only 1. As Kev says if somone else is there first forget it. Its also a dodgy clamber over slippy rock to get to the position.

The weather forecast this week-end is for 40/50 mph winds so not ideal for casting a heavy fly into the surf.

:z18

Jim

salar35

« Reply #4 on: 17/01/2010 at 06:10 »
The weather forecast this week-end is for 40/50 mph winds so not ideal for casting a heavy fly into the surf. Jim

Been having great sport off the coastal rocks with my 9' sage trout fly rod, #7 sinking line, 15lb fluoro (needed because of the barnacled and musseled rocks) and some white Cleuser-type fly lures. The Kawahai hit 'em like stink and fight just like mad seatrout.

Kawahai?  Fit's that? Oops, forgot to mention that I am in NZ just now. Few of the locals fish light for K's (which are up to 9kg although normally around 2-3kg) but they are a fantastic sporting fish on the light tackle, and lovely eating too. Mike, you'll know all about them! Only problem is that I've to watch the treacherous roads getting to the right fishing locations......something to do with the tar melting in the summer heat. Eat yer hearts out back home. Dave

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 17/01/2010 at 20:56 »
 :mad
Great stuff Dave - got a camera at hand?

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com