Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Conehead

Flies for Tasmania
« on: 13/01/2010 at 21:42 »
Hi all

Off on my hols to Tasmania in a few weeks. Not a fishing holiday, but I am looking to smuggle my travel fly rod in my luggage. Would just like some help to clear a matter regarding taking flies to Oz, a friend of mine has told me that the Aussies are touchy regarding flies made from fur and feathers etc entering country. Has any one else come across this or is he bull s******g, like he does about the size of his fish that always boil at his flies :?

Appreciate any help
Geoff

Stuart Smith

Re: Flies for Tasmania
« Reply #1 on: 13/01/2010 at 22:57 »
hi Geoff

i took flys to oz a few times no problem they never said anything.never made it to taz but would love to here how you get on.i spoke to someone when i was in sydney who fishes there alot and he was saying there was huge sedge hatches later on in the day

apart from that cant help

stuart

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 14/01/2010 at 01:33 »
Geoff

Flies are no problem (just dont take them on as hand luggage :shock) , taking in Skins and capes can be a bit different , but according to some of the guys on the Australian forum i've joined if they are in packets or dyed (ie from a  shop) then there is no problem, i think its roadkill they are worried about.

If you are taking Freshwater fishing gear, then you have to declare it. You may have to have a vets cert , to say it is clean, not sure :z8.
No such problems if the gear is for Saltwater :wink I just told them at customs i had some some saltwater tackle with me and they said thank you and let us through. I will check out the rules as regards freshwater stuff. :z16

Have a great time, Tas is on my list of places to go whilst here. Some great fishing for trout, as well as bream and lots of saltwater stuff. Check out some of the Australian fishing forums before you go.

If you are going later in the year, i'll bring you some mags back in July :z16 I've got a few and we are staying up in Elgin/Forres for 3 and a half weeks.

Cheers

Sandy

Alex Burnett

« Reply #3 on: 14/01/2010 at 06:15 »
Geoff

I went to Tasmania in 2008, didn't need a vets cert for my rods but did have to allow them to dip the handle sections in a solution at Sydney airport which was not a problem. They returned them in a poly bag and told me to allow it to dry naturally when I got to Hobart which they did in about an hour.
Flies were no problem but as Sandy says put them in your hold luggage.
I spent quite a bit of time looking at the Australian goverment website regarding taking fishing equipment into Australia & Tasmania.
Biggest problem I had was an over zealous security person at Heathrow who wanted to confiscate my rod as it was in my hand luggage but their supervisor came over & sorted everything out.

Alex

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 14/01/2010 at 08:21 »
On the issue of rods as hand luggage, it seems it is dependent on the Airline and the people on the ground. They all seem to imterperate the rules differently.

A suggestion I got was to email the airline and ask them, then take the e-mail with you as evidence if anyone suggests otherwise :)

I had a rod go through hold baggage, a 2 piece 9 footer, and it was just in its cloth bag...and it arrived in Brunei totally undamaged!...so all is not lost :)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 14/01/2010 at 13:55 »
Geoff

here's a good place to start, I have some hard copy too :z16
http://www.flylife.com.au/

cheers

sandy

Bronzebommer

« Reply #6 on: 14/01/2010 at 19:37 »
I once checked in a very nice travel spin rod on my way to Abidjan, Ivory Coast. That was the last I saw of it. Whatever way, it's no guarantee.

Matt

Conehead

« Reply #7 on: 17/01/2010 at 14:57 »
Many thanks to all who replied to post. :z16 Most helpful, I guess the rod shouldn't present too much of a problem as it never been used and still in original shrink wrap. I am going at the end of Jan Sandy, I hope to catch up with you when you visit Forres, hopefully we can get that fishing trip in that was curtailed for reasons beyond our control. Hopefully I will have found another job by then, as I have been laid off again, Government scrapping Nimrod :cry

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com