Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Whats your favourite........................
« on: 13/01/2010 at 02:54 »
What is your favourite (goto :wink)

Rod/line combination.

I know we all use different ones for different things, but what is your Favourite :z18
it may even be a specific rod and line.
Its just something i was pondering and trying to think what my favourite one was :z6

I'm finding it hard one to answer :z6

I can narrow it down to 3 (all of which now reside in different hands :cry, makes you wonder :z6)

Scott A2 9ft 5wt with a Mallard DT4F
Winston B11x 9ft 5wt with a Mallard WF5F
Sage XP 9ft 3wt with GPX WF3F

Cant choose between them, i loved them all and regard them all as high points on my journey.
They are certainly the ones that stand out in my memory. Sometimes wish i'd kept them all.
Especially the Scott :z10 Maybe thats my answer :z8

Sandy ???

Rob Brownfield

Re: Whats your favourite........................
« Reply #1 on: 13/01/2010 at 08:36 »
I am probably a little more on the heavy side for rods than you sandy..lol

Helios 9 foot 9# with Rio Outbound intermediate. (Truely flies out) (Pike and Sea)

Normark Norboron (who remembers those?) 10 foot 7-8# with a Cortland 444 8 wf (Oldskool setup) (Reservoir/Seatrout)

Zero Gravity 9 foot 5# and one of Mikes 5WF lines for general everyday fishing on the Don, or any still water. (Trout/Ide/Small Carp)

Irvine Ross

« Reply #2 on: 13/01/2010 at 08:45 »
Sandy

The answer is No 2 on your list,

and no, you can't have it back :z13

Anyway by the time you have hooked your 20th giant trevally you might have a new favourite  :wink

Irvine

paavo

« Reply #3 on: 13/01/2010 at 13:21 »
Ok Sandy, one rod/line  combination  will bee rod Rackelhane  9´6 4-6wt 3 piece with a Snowbee WF5F.
I have thoughts of a new reel to that combo. How about this one? http://abelreels.com/pages/deyoung.htm
or is it to Americana?  :z4

//Harri

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 13/01/2010 at 14:06 »
I am probably a little more on the heavy side for rods than you sandy..lol

Helios 9 foot 9# with Rio Outbound intermediate. (Truely flies out) (Pike and Sea)

Normark Norboron (who remembers those?) 10 foot 7-8# with a Cortland 444 8 wf (Oldskool setup) (Reservoir/Seatrout)

Zero Gravity 9 foot 5# and one of Mikes 5WF lines for general everyday fishing on the Don, or any still water. (Trout/Ide/Small Carp)

Thats 3!  :shock

And my current arsenal, has 2 x 9FT 9wt's, a 9ft 12wt and a 9ft 7wt so there :z7
I have still kept a 5wt, but only one :wink

Try to get down to just One, its quite tough :wink

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 13/01/2010 at 14:11 »
How about this one? http://abelreels.com/pages/deyoung.htm
or is it to Americana?  :z4

Copper john is nice :cool: Personally it would have to be a solid colour though.
They do a lovely olive (TCX) green that works for me :z16

Cool :cool:

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 13/01/2010 at 16:20 »
Thats 3!  :shock

And my current arsenal, has 2 x 9FT 9wt's, a 9ft 12wt and a 9ft 7wt so there :z7
I have still kept a 5wt, but only one :wink

Try to get down to just One, its quite tough :wink

Sandy

You had three as well  :z7 lol.

Trouble is, I fish for more than just trout on the fly, so cant have one favourite as such.

And if you want an AFTMA war...well..9 weight Helios, 9 weight Powermatrix, 2 x 10 weight Harrisons, 10 weight Greys, 13 weight Harrison and a wee 3 weight Sage ;) Beat that!  :z4 :z4

Mike Livingstone

« Reply #7 on: 13/01/2010 at 17:23 »
It has to be the 8' 4wt Shay bamboo with a DT4 barrio line and Orvis CFO III reel.

Conehead

« Reply #8 on: 13/01/2010 at 21:11 »
Hi Sandy

Can't decide on just one, but favourites at the moment is a toss up between Sage Z axis 10ft 6# with cortland 444sl 6# and Barrio 9ft 3# with snowbee wf4#. Both very different but equally enjoyable. I havn't included salmon rods Sandy, thats another set of difficult choices.

Geoff

Ben Dixon

« Reply #9 on: 13/01/2010 at 23:38 »
Very hard Sandy!!

River fishing Helios 904 midflex with a Mallard WF4F or a TT4F

Playing in the park, Helios 905 tipflex and Barrio Outcast WF5F

Rod that will do everything, Helios 966 tipflex.  Can't put it down to one line as if I did it would not do everything!!  If I had to get rod of all my other rods, this is the one I would keep.  With the right lines I am happy tackling light SW, salmon, sea trout, brownies (conventionally or with big streamers) and it is great at throwing a long belly down a tape too.

DHD's, not sure.....  of all the rods I own, when heading out "proper" salmon fishing on anywhere bigger than the Don I go for my shooting star 149, again I need a variety of lines but I could probably loose all my other salmon rods and would be happy if I still had this one.

Doesn't really answer the question does it

Cheers

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: 14/01/2010 at 01:02 »
It is very hard :z6

The idea was What is your Favourite rod/line combo. Doesn't matter what its for, its just if you sit and think about flyfishing for a while and mull over all the things you done , which outfit stands out in your mind as the one you enjoyed the most.
I dont know whether its the actually memories that are associated with a rod or whether its the rod itself that stands out.  :shock
I wasn't thinking what is the best rod for what fishing IMO, i was just thinking which one i enjoyed fishing with the most.
And thats the tricky part :z6

My answer was in the last line of the first post (for now- as irvine points out :z7) The Scott A2 905 has to stand out as my favourite rod, with the DT4f Mallard it was just such brilliant combination and i have such fantastic memories of the fishing we did together :roll. I think if i get the chance to use my S4 a bit more then it will probably oust it, as so far it is an awesome fishing rod (and does the things the A2 couldn't as well as everything it could), just i cant build up the same repore on grass and it needs some proper exercise :cry. I would say it feels lighter and more fun, but now i'm starting a rod review and that was not the idea :oops

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 14/01/2010 at 08:28 »
Ahhhhh..in that case it "was" a "bamboo" rod I built about 25 years ago. It was built on a Lee Wulff bamboo blank that I received from Jim Somers in payment for some rod building. (he had a small stock of them along with lots of cane from Sharpes. I am guessing Sharpes made the Lee Wulff rods???)

I seem to recall it being 7 foot 7" for about a 4 weight. Swelled butt if I remember and quite tippy (for bamboo/cane)

Unfortuantly that died about 15 years ago when I hit a branch with the tip.

The line was a Masterline DT 4 weight which seemed to really suit the rod well.

It was so light and responsive and a joy to use on the small burns and rivers around Auchenblae/Luthermuir/Laurencekirk/Stonehaven.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #12 on: 14/01/2010 at 12:41 »
In vogue (I fall asleep thinking of this baby!  :oops) is my 8' 3"? #2 Sage SPL c/w Wulf TT3 Olive line.

You've no idea how much I'm looking forward to 3/4" Broonies on it..................come on!!!!!

Why did I buy it?...............because I'm worth it  :z4

observe the quality in my avatar

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #13 on: 14/01/2010 at 13:24 »
Now you've defined it Sandy, Orvis Zero Gravity 9' #4 midflex with TT4F.

Many good trout and superb river outfit!!

Ben

Barry Robertson

« Reply #14 on: 14/01/2010 at 17:23 »
Sage Xp 10ft 7 wt , Loop lts x2 5-8 Reel & Airflo Ultra supple midge tip  :wink
Sage Xp 9ft 5wt, Loop LTS x2 3-5 Reel and Cortland 444 peach floater  :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com