Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Only one day's fly fishing in 2010?
« on: 11/01/2010 at 10:07 »
Hi folks :cool:

If you only had one day available to go fly fishing in 2010 ..... What would be your plan? Where would you go?

Best wishes
Mike

Alex Burnett

Re: Only one day's fly fishing in 2010?
« Reply #1 on: 11/01/2010 at 12:10 »
Hi Mike

Haddo, Dry Fly, 4wt Bamboo in mid July!!!! :wink :wink :wink

Alex

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 11/01/2010 at 14:54 »
Hi Alex :z16

Yes, hopefully a bit warmer by then :wink

I think my choice would be a day on the Don with friends at the Kildrummy Fishings. A lovely piece of water to fish, cracking brownies and great food at the Glenkindie Arms for half time! :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 11/01/2010 at 15:10 »
Hi Alex :z16

Yes, hopefully a bit warmer by then :wink

I think my choice would be a day on the Don with friends at the Kildrummy Fishings. A lovely piece of water to fish, cracking brownies and great food at the Glenkindie Arms for half time! :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Funny that :wink

I was thinking exactly that :z16

may require to be organised :z3

sandy

Mike Livingstone

« Reply #4 on: 11/01/2010 at 17:17 »
Kildrummy sounds tempting!

This one is a little tricky.  It would have to be a water I know and I am split between Scotland, Norway and the US.

I think it would have to be a day on Loch Ness with my dad in May, stopping for a shore lunch of bacon rolls cooked on an open fire washed down with Nescafe coffee (the only time it tastes good is when you are fishing).  This would be a mixture of traditional loch style and some dry fly fishing from the boat and a bit of trolling when things are slow.

The runners up would again be late May in Norway at my regular fishing spot with my buddy Keith. It is a mixture of lochs and streams.  The fish are not big but great fun on my Shay 8' 4wt bamboo fly rod.  Again a shore lunch but this time some Norwegian bread, spekkemat and goat's chesse.

3rd place would be up in the Moosehead area of Maine, USA.  There are some nice small streams and beaver ponds with brook trout.  This one with my 7'6" bamboo and fishing streamer flies or attractor dries.  Lunch of moose steak sandwich washed down with a blueberry wheat beer (has to be Seadog).

Jim Eddie

« Reply #5 on: 11/01/2010 at 18:45 »
It would have to be Henry's fork of the Snake river in Idaho in June, it borders Yellowstone National Park , probably becuase I have been influenced by reading evrything that Gierach has written.

:z18

Jim

Jay Scott

« Reply #6 on: 11/01/2010 at 18:48 »

Some of the waters on Once in a Blue moon seem a good bett  :z7 or is this a reality question?  :z6

Jay

Irvine Ross

« Reply #7 on: 11/01/2010 at 19:51 »
I agree with Mike Livingstone, if you only have one day it would need to be somewhere familiar.

Some reasonable expectation of a good day would be essential. An exploration of somewhere new needs to be done with a different outlook, an open mind and a realisation that everywhere can have off days.

So a day on the middle Don in May ( as long as you can guarantee a nice long hatch of LDOs). Otherwise there are some nice limestone lochs and burns up in Caithness. :z16

Irvine

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 11/01/2010 at 19:57 »

If I had only one days fishing for 2010  :o it would be fishing for Rainbows in Cloe Lake near Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.  :wink

seriously tho'  hard question, three situations/locations spring to mind but I guess it'd be float tubing in Loch Lundavra near Fort William.

Iain

Alex Burnett

« Reply #9 on: 11/01/2010 at 20:54 »
Didn't realise that with only one day available we could go international :oops

That would definately change my choice to: late march Lake Arthur polaroiding with a 5wt. :z4 :z4 :z4

Alex

Ben Dixon

« Reply #10 on: 11/01/2010 at 22:23 »
Hi Alex

Yes, hopefully a bit warmer by then

I think my choice would be a day on the Don with friends at the Kildrummy Fishings. A lovely piece of water to fish, cracking brownies and great food at the Glenkindie Arms for half time!

Best wishes
Mike

Funny that

I was thinking exactly that

may require to be organised

sandy
Sounds like an excellent plan, count me in for this one I hear Kildrummy has some huge trout and is superb value for money at only £8 per day  :grin

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 11/01/2010 at 23:42 »
A select band of brothers and I suspect a day exploring a river near me in Inverness (for troots) would be in the top three but hard to narrow it down to just the one day/venue  :z10

For me, anyway  :oops

adambrain

« Reply #12 on: 12/01/2010 at 08:30 »
Well at the rate im going i would just like to get out. havent wet my line since August. but for me chubb fishing on my old local the river stour with a wooly bugger getting stung by wasps and nettles in july. painful but very enjoyable on the fly, ive had many a dodgy look from the maggot slingers.

Brian Brand

« Reply #13 on: 12/01/2010 at 18:58 »
Hi all,

Yes, the day out fishing (with great company and fantastic meal) to Kildrummy was the highlight of my fishing calendar for 2009.

A repeat of that would be great sometime this year, just shows that you do not have to travel far from your home for new experiences.

I do also fancy a trip to a hill loch.

Regards,
Bri.

Dutchfly

« Reply #14 on: 12/01/2010 at 20:06 »
If I had only one day to go flyfishing in 2010, I don't think I'd use it. My dreams about that day would be too hard to match...

CU

Jeroen

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com