Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Barry Robertson

Kinkell Bridge today
« on: 07/01/2010 at 16:45 »
On arrival it was minus 12 and think it was prob about minus 8 most of the day.
This was my second time out for grayling and my first on my own so no suprises that i blanked  :z4
But the main thing is i learned from it and after a talk with the ghillie at the end of the day i saw where i went wrong, apparently 4lb fluro is a tad too heavy for clever grayling!
Jim Doyle is having another grayling day at Kinkell on the sat the 30th of Jan so i will be back to see if i can learn some more  :wink
Overall an enjoyable blank  :z18

Tightlines
Baz  :z18

Mike Barrio

Re: Kinkell Bridge today
« Reply #1 on: 07/01/2010 at 16:48 »
Great stuff Baz :z16

Cracking photos, thanks for posting :wink

Cheers
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 07/01/2010 at 18:40 »
Good on you for having a go Baz  :z16

do you think it was the wrong kind of Blobs you were using  :z13

:z18

Jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 07/01/2010 at 19:18 »
Good on you for having a go Baz  :z16

do you think it was the wrong kind of Blobs you were using  :z13

Jim

I think the fact that i was trying to wing it with not much knowledge was the downfall and the fact that i was on my own did not help to much.
But believe it or not i had a great a day and saw plenty of salmon moving also, not to forget the road - it was like a bob sleigh track!
Wont be going back till the snow goes, i had a few near misses and needed a tow out of the car park at the end of the day  :z18

Anyone coming on the next grayling day on the Sat 30th of jan??

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 07/01/2010 at 19:23 »
Baz

No disrespect to Jim Doyle , but that beat at Kinkell tends to get hammered a bit, you probably saw the thread on the other forum. this beat on the Earn is a lot quieter. Not so far to go either.

http://www.fishingnet.com/beats/earn/Dupplin_Estate.htm

Jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #5 on: 07/01/2010 at 19:34 »
When we going then Jim  :z4

Jim Eddie

« Reply #6 on: 07/01/2010 at 19:48 »
As soon as this bloody Sna clears Baz , its not the cold  I mind ( can't wait to try out my new thermals that Santa brought  :wink) its the driving

I was not having a go at Jims grayling days by the way I've heard they are well run and a good laugh and good company, I will get to one one day. Its probably the sucess of those days and the posts on the other forum that made the beat so popular.

Its a bit of a catch 22 situation, you can be all secret squirrell about your fishing spots, which I do not totally agree with or share them with the fishing world on the internet and then moan when the world turns up to fish them , its a bit dammed if you do dammed if you don't.     

Barry Robertson

« Reply #7 on: 07/01/2010 at 19:56 »
As soon as this bloody Sna clears Baz , its not the cold  I mind ( can't wait to try out my new thermals that Santa brought  :wink) its the driving

I was not having a go at Jims grayling days by the way I've heard they are well run and a good laugh and good company, I will get to one one day. Its probably the sucess of those days and the posts on the other forum that made the beat so popular.

Its a bit of a catch 22 situation, you can be all secret squirrell about your fishing spots, which I do not totally agree with or share them with the fishing world on the internet and then moan when the world turns up to fish them , its a bit dammed if you do dammed if you don't.     

I here exactly fit your saying and totally agree, Jims  days are more for the fun and banter and great for first timers like me to learn some tricks of the trade!
Just pull a sicky and jump on the train, i will drive from montrose  :z4

Paul Rankine

« Reply #8 on: 07/01/2010 at 19:57 »
Hi Baz,
            Hard luck mate . Nice piccies though . We'll have a bash soon as this bloody snow and ice goes away.
Paul.

Irvine Ross

« Reply #9 on: 07/01/2010 at 20:05 »
Baz

You're a hardy chiel. I don't think I could last very long handling wet line at -80

Better luck next time. :z18

Irvine

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 07/01/2010 at 20:13 »
Hi Baz,

Bit too chilly for my Nivea soft skin.  I guess you've just got to find the pods in such temperatures. Didn't think 4lb flouro would pose a problem for nymph methods? but then what do I know??

At least the Robin got a free lunch.

Nice photo's

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #11 on: 07/01/2010 at 20:19 »
Hi Baz,

Bit too chilly for my Nivea soft skin.  I guess you've just got to find the pods in such temperatures. Didn't think 4lb flouro would pose a problem for nymph methods? but then what do I know??

At least the Robin got a free lunch.

Nice photo's

Iain

Apparently the lads that have been doing well lately were doing well on 2lb line and size 16 gold heads and the trotting lads were down to size 20' hooks, so i have already been into the shop and bought fresh ammo :z4

Ben Dixon

« Reply #12 on: 07/01/2010 at 20:21 »
Hi Baz,

Well done for even attempting the drive!!

Shame you did not get anything, what were you fishing with?

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #13 on: 07/01/2010 at 20:28 »
2lb line and size 16 gold heads

delicate casting required. :shock

Barry Robertson

« Reply #14 on: 07/01/2010 at 20:29 »
I tried trotting maggots with 4 lb fluro and a proper trotting float  :wink
Tried bugging with the 5wt and sacrificial nymph and a couple of small gold heads!
Just didnt find the fish  :z6
The water level was also very low and trying to find deeper pools for shoaling fish involved alot of walking and the snow made that a fair task , so i just basked in the sun  :wink

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com