Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Having been watching the goings on at home for a few days whilst getting sunburnt :oops
I thought i'd say, believe it or not i'm actually jealous of the pending white christmas, just doesn't seem right being warm. Nice, but not right :roll

Anyway we are just back from trying out a few flies in West Oz. Plenty of small puffer fish, but nothing else playing where we were staying.
It was a family hol not a fishing a trip so i don't expect miracles , nice to have some clear water though :cool:

After a week we decided to try something different and we went offshore Jigging for Samson fish. Great fun, though the burst vessels in my arm will take a couple of days to heal :z10
Big fish at big depths and christ what hard work, still i got 3 and daniel 1 (with a little help) very different to my norm, using 400gram jigs on 25kg test equipment.

This is daniels fish at 12kgs, an amazing effort by him it almost took him over the side twice :shock he slept most of the afternoon :z4

This is my largest fish at about 20kg's :shock

Must confess though, i'd still rather be chasing 10" brownies on a wee burn with a 3wt boo :cry

Did some snorkeling for the first time while we were there and i got some great underwater shots, i'll post them later once i have them sorted out :z16

Enjoy the snow :z12

Sandy

Mike Barrio

Re: Now for something completely different............
« Reply #1 on: 22/12/2009 at 01:50 »
Hi Sandy :z16 ....... or should I say "G-day"

Sounds like fun. What does a Samson fish look like then? I don't remember those.

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 22/12/2009 at 01:55 »
Kinda looks like the photos above :roll

A deep water kingfish, from what i can work out , hard fighting and big :z3

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 22/12/2009 at 02:12 »
OOPS, I guess I should've given you a bit of time to post the photos  :z4  :z4  :z4

That looks like fun, no wonder young master Daniel needed a rest :shock

Cheers
Mike

paavo

« Reply #4 on: 22/12/2009 at 08:45 »
Wow!! Sandy and Daniel, nice catches. I´m looking forward to see the underwater shots.
 :z18
//Harri

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 22/12/2009 at 15:58 »
Nice one Sandy :z16 but is the pupil slowly becoming the master?

Also looking forward to the snorkelling shots, absolutely love it. Sadly haven't been abroad on holiday since the wee man was invented.

Iain

Tam Greenock

« Reply #6 on: 22/12/2009 at 16:45 »
Im not long back from Perth, who did you go out fishing with, l tried to get booked out of Hillary's harbour with Mills Charters but they were always booked solid.

Fish look great

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 22/12/2009 at 16:57 »
Looks great Sandy well done to Daniel  :z16

:z18

Jim

Irvine Ross

« Reply #8 on: 22/12/2009 at 17:04 »
Nice one Sandy.

You're jealous! I'm wondering whether we will get to Dunkeld for Christmas and how we will get back. 4" of snow and it's "traffic chaos". I could easily swop our roads for a bit of sunshine right now.

Have a great Christmas and a happy new year.

cheers
Irvine

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 22/12/2009 at 20:41 »
MMMM...some beastes there, jealous as hell :)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: 22/12/2009 at 23:12 »
Tam

We went out with Blue Juice Carters, they specialize in the samson's at this time of year.
It was a lot of fun but not something i'd rush out to do again, A long way out :z6 but then again you only get one or two chance to try something like that.
So it was a great experience.

Must confess, a white christmas would be nice now, honest. :z18

Will get the snorkeling shots up soon :z16

Sandy

Graham Allan

« Reply #11 on: 31/12/2009 at 11:14 »
fantastic looking fish Sandy.Did they fight well in the deep water ? They look like they are built for speed .Did they fight all the way up to the boat.cheers  Graham

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #12 on: 31/12/2009 at 15:19 »
fantastic looking fish Sandy.Did they fight well in the deep water ? They look like they are built for speed .Did they fight all the way up to the boat.cheers  Graham

Sure did graham :z16
We were hooking up at about 120-130m depth, they fought all the way to the surface. I'd say 15-25mins of serious work :z6 depending on the fish.
The big one i thought was going to do my back good and proper. Damned hard work. The fish with syckle shaped tail tend to really go for it.
Some of the guys on the boat, likened them to GT's, but with the added effort for the depth :shock
Really looking forward to getting a GT on the fly, more than ever. This is my goal for the next 4 years. Just one will do :grin

Sandy

Happy new year :z18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: 31/12/2009 at 15:36 »
Here's the wee (big :shock) man holding on for all he's worth :z4 :z4

This one was the biggest of the day at an estimated 30kg's caught by the lady on the left

Sandy

PeteD

« Reply #14 on: 06/01/2010 at 16:43 »
I'm green with envy here, looking at your sunshine and good fishing. We have 6-8" of snow here in Southern England. Still the good thing is that work have told me to stay put  for tonight.

Pete

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com