Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

David Davies

isle of sky
« on: 02/01/2010 at 13:38 »
hi to you all
i am currently sat in my little den on the edge of the north yorks moors, the snow outside is about a foot deep and its a blizzard, but my son has brightened my day , he has suggested that in may or june how about going over to skye and fish the storr lochs for a few days then back over to glencoe. We are relatively inexperienced fishers , but I have spent the last couple of years coming up to haddo and have greatly benefited from the advice and help of mike and others. I would be very grateful if any fellow users of the site, could offer me any help and advice on the area , tackle ways to fish, flies, etc, anything at all
many thanks and a happy new year to you all
  :z18
dave 

Jim Eddie

Re: isle of sky
« Reply #1 on: 02/01/2010 at 13:48 »
Dave

Never fished Skye myself , but this may help http://www.trout-salmon-fishing.com/scotland-skye.htm

If you are fishing from the bank, keep on the move , cast step, cast step. Look for structure weed beds, reeds burn mouths.
If you are boat fishing , traditional tactics , 3 fly cast out the front of the boat retreive to keep in touch with the flies , speed depends on how fast the boat is drifting.
Flies traditional wets , if in doubt small and black usually works.

Jim   

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 02/01/2010 at 14:43 »
Good advice from jim :z16
not fished Skye but have fished Mull a couple of times
Zulu's and butchers were they way forward.
Fished from the boat drifting the margins casting towards the shore.
Set yourself on drifts along the edges and the fish will come to flies pulled through the waves
bushy and black is almost a panacea although orange can be good in places
Soldier muddlers and the like, loch ordie, blue Zulus and dunkeld won't go amiss
I'd start with black though. Two flies will suffice if you are not into three. I normally only ever fish a max of two flies
and still catch the odd fish or two.
Mull lochs had crystal clear water and large boulders for features
not sure what you will get in Skye.
Hopefully someone has some specific advice :z18

anyway I hope you have a great trip, my plans for July involve flying halfway round the world to fish Haddo :z4
and drink tea with the Nut in the Hut

sandy

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 02/01/2010 at 14:54 »
Sound advice from Jim and Sandy  :z16

The only additions I would make are:
1. Do not be afraid to fish a big fly (say a 10 longshank)...... trust me on this  :wink
2. Do not be afraid to try a 'bold' colour pattern (something with peach, fluro orange etc).

...... my plans for July involve flying halfway round the world to fish Haddo :z4
and drink tea with the Nut in the Hut

Better pack your thermals then m8  :z17  :z13

David Davies

« Reply #4 on: 02/01/2010 at 15:03 »
many thanks for the replies guys, sandy, the david norwich 6/7 I bought off you earlier in the year, I presume this would be suffice? It certainly has stood me in good stead at haddo throughout last year, I"m certainly thinking of another rod maybe
 :z16
dave

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 03/01/2010 at 00:54 »
Should be perfect :z16
it was a 5/6 though if I remember right :z6

numbers are personal anyway, as long as it works for you :z18
it was built to go that kind of fishing , originally

Sandy

Irvine Ross

« Reply #6 on: 03/01/2010 at 08:51 »
I fished the Storr lochs about 6 years ago. We rented a cottage right on the bank. At that time you got the permits form the sports shop in Portree.

It was very windy and the boat I had was no good for fishing as it would veer about instead of drifting straight before the wind. I gave that up and fished from the bank. In better weather I would have stuck to the boat.  I had most success in the channel that links the two lochs. A Kate McLaren was the most successful fly.

The midges shouldn't be about in May but in June they could be started. Remember the insect repellant.

Tight lines
Irvine

David Davies

« Reply #7 on: 03/01/2010 at 17:14 »
thanks guys for the advice  :z16
yes you are right sandy it was a 5/6 but like you say it works nice for me
dave

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com