Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Signature grips
« on: 02/01/2010 at 03:51 »
I picked up  a lot of cork when i was in the states.
All different kinds and colours to play with whilst i'm out here.
I got some cool tools for doing different stuff with the cork as well.

So having been playing with all sorts of different things i have come up with what i think i would like to use as a Signature grip for future projects.  This one is blue, but i can do it in green, brown, black and grey to match the blanks i'm building on.

What do you think? is it the kind of thing you would expect from a custom built rod or is it too much?

I tried to keep it tasteful, but different. There are practical benefits too, as the chequered part of the handle is a lot stronger and harder than plain cork, so will last a lot longer under your thumb :z16

It sits like this

Sandy

Hamish Young

Re: Signature grips
« Reply #1 on: 02/01/2010 at 10:39 »
Weirdly (for me) I really like that, a nice tweak without being too 'brash' :z16
Something, if offered, I would certainly consider if having a rod built (or maybe rebuilt) by someone who knows what they're doing  :wink

:z3

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 02/01/2010 at 16:06 »
Sandy,
As you are probably aware I have been playing with "custom grips" for a while and at first throught that using harder materials/rubber impregnated cork was the way forward, BUT, I have run into one or two problems.

The biggest issue is the one you have mentioned as being good  :z4, the difference in hardmess. As you have probably found out, sanding a soft material next to a hard one causes issues...but what happens after a bit of time is that a ridge forms were the softer (cork) material compresses and the harder material doesnt. (Probably happens quicker with my 9-11 weights than lighter 2-5 weights though)

If a single accent ring of wood is used where the heel of the hand sits, it can cause a painful blister to appear as the cork either side flex and the harder material doesnt.

BUT, it looks good and I am sure with the litter rods its not such an issue, but one worth remembering, just in case.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 02/01/2010 at 16:11 »
I am sure with the litter rods its not such an issue, but one worth remembering, just in case.

Oooooooh :shock Rob's getting personal now Sandy ...... "litter rods"?

Is he saying your rods are rubbish?  :z4  :z4  :z4

Where's my big spoon? :z2
Cheers
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 03/01/2010 at 00:00 »
Hi Sandy,

It does look nice but I am inclined to agree with Rob (I must be coming down with something).  The differing hardness of the materials could cause a problem if there was a mix of materials where I would be gripping.  At the ends of the handle it would not bother me so much.  On a custom rod I would like nothing more than flawlwss plain cork in a similar shape to the handle you pictured, many handles are too slim on lighter rods for me.  Back to the topic.....  That particular handle is too fussy for me regardless of any difference in texture, if a rod had it as standard I would probably be put off but, if you are considering offering it as an optional on made to order rods then it would make a nice tweak, some folk really like that sort of thing.

Have you come across any plain but perfect cork recently?

Cheers

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 03/01/2010 at 00:49 »
The handle is entirely cork, there is no difference in feel.
It feels just like cork because that's all it is :wink
the different colours are either dyed Burl or burnt rings
the section under the thumb is laminated (9 disks) :grin Hence the strength
I had no problems sanding it to shape at all. The Burl is a little different in density
but I only used a small amount in the grip. No synthetics at all :z16 (except the glue of course :roll)

I figured it will come down to personal taste
but all kinds of patterns can easily be made so it is easy to customize

Cheers for the feedback

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 03/01/2010 at 01:08 »

Have you come across any plain but perfect cork recently?

the handle in the pictures was made with my practice cork :wink
the only "good" shive is the one at the front

I reckon I have enough "really good" cork to build about 5-6 grips
but thats taken a while to collect. So would cost :grin

The slim grips seem to be a feature of the last couple of years that I don't like either
you should have a word with orvis about that :wink

sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 03/01/2010 at 10:38 »
Perhaps I have girls hands but I like the slim grips - so much so that a 'standard' full wells handle feels really awkward and cumbersome in my hand.

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 03/01/2010 at 12:30 »
Might just be what you are used too :wink
 :z4 :z4 :z4

sandy

stickleback

« Reply #9 on: 03/01/2010 at 12:46 »
Sandy

I guess you got one of those cork slicing jigs at Mudhole  :z4 :z4

I quite like your handle as it's colours are muted, but online I've seen pictures of checkerboard handle inserts in coloured cork that are too OTT for my taste.

That's what I think it will boil down to - personal taste.  Those that have a more 'traditional' taste might feel it's a tad too fancy and put them off your handle/rod in favour of something more conservative  :z8  

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Cammy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: 03/01/2010 at 15:01 »

I guess you got one of those cork slicing jigs at Mudhole  :z4 :z4

I sure did :z16 Well worth getting if you want to play with different stuff.
Dead easy to use too :z16 and it opens up loads of possibilities

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 03/01/2010 at 17:19 »
Ahhhh..I thought the darker rings were slivers of hardwood a'la the present USA fashion.

I have some of the "dyed" slivers of cork in red and blue..but I have not been brave enough to try...same goes for the foam inserts that they seem to love in the US.

Love the handle you have done!

As for you Mike, you should know better!! Being the priud owner of one of Sandys creations I would never "diss" his work..so  :z7 to you!

:z18

Iain Goolager

« Reply #12 on: 03/01/2010 at 20:23 »
Might just be what you are used to

naughty!

and perhaps rod handles are like cars to some men? :z7
Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: 04/01/2010 at 01:26 »
Rob

I've always liked the stuff you have experimented with , so when i was looking around the shop in the states i saw this
http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Inlay-Tools

So had to give it a try :z16
Its a great kit and they have a good selection of different cork to play with, i got Green,blue,natural,black and red burl along with burnt. They have some really good high spec cork too, but i did get to pick my own :wink

I would not hesitate in recommending getting your hands on a kit :z16 it is pretty easy and very effective. If you do, buy extra blades for the saw (2 or 3 packs) they are pretty cheap but you will break a few while getting the hang of it.  :z6

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: 04/01/2010 at 01:34 »

and perhaps rod handles are like cars to some men? :z7

Explains a lot about Salmon anglers :z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy :z7

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com