Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Hi folks :cool:

Please post your January step by step fly tying competition entries in this thread 

For details about this competition, please see http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2293.0

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Matt Henderson

Re: January "step by step" fly tying competition entries
« Reply #1 on: 16/01/2010 at 22:09 »
I thought I'd get the ball rolling for the new year.

The Polar Extreme Pot Belly pig is a Pot bellied pig variant by a man called David Ballingal – he’s a regular contributor on one of the salmon fishing forums.  I’m hoping these will do some damage in the spring.

Tube – 22mm Eumer brass crayfish tube.
Tail- black boar bristles, black bucktail, black artic fox
Rear Hackle – black saddle cock hackle
Rib – medium oval tinsel
Body – yellow spectra dubbing
Body hackle – fluorescent yellow cock hackle
Front hackle – hot orange cock hackle
Cheeks – Jungle cock
Cone – extra small brass cone

I’ve used a Eumer 22mm brass crayfish tube.  These are really good they come in a set of ten tubes, ten liners and ten extensions to hold the hook of your choice.  I go for a Partridge big mouth double with tubes.

I’ve used the HMH vice adaptor and a eumer tube needle.  Slip the liner onto the needle then the brass tube onto the liner. 

Burr the end of the tubing with a lighter and then put a spot of super glue onto the liner tubing and slide the bass tube back to the point where the tubing is burred.  Then put another dab of super glue onto the end of the brass tube and then slip on the wider tubing.
Take the whole thing off the vice and turn it round and put it back onto the needle.  The point where the needle diameter changes will hold the tube in place and the superglue applied to the liner will prevent it spinning when the thread has tension on it.

I’ve used 17/0 uni white thread for this fly, it is very thin so makes the body of the fly very slim when tying in lots of materials but you’ve got to be very gentle so as not to snap the thread.  Tie in the thread and take it down to the smaller diameter at the rear.

Dub a small tag of the fluorescent yellow spectra dubbing

Tie in four or five black boar bristles three times the length of the tapered section of tube, and take the thread back to the front of the tube and trim off the excess.  Apply a coat of superglue at this point to secure the boar bristles.

Tie in some black bucktail the same length as the boar bristles.   Again use some superglue to ensure that it is secured.

Then tie in some black artic fox half the length of the bucktail and boar bristles.

Tie in two strands of silver crystal flash either side of the tail, these should be the same length as the bucktail and boar bristles.

Tie in a black cock saddle feather and double the hackle.

Use four turns of the saddle hackle and tie it in.

Fray the end of the oval tinsel to give the thread something better to bite on.  And then tie it in.  Select a fluorescent yellow cock hackle and tie it in by the tip at the tail of the fly. 

Dub the body with the yellow spectra dubbing and then palmer the yellow hackle down the body doubling the hackle as you go.

Secure the hackle using the oval tinsel and tie it in.

Select a hot orange hackle the slightly longer than the yellow one and tie it in by the tip.  Double it and wind on five turns.  Secure it with the tying silk. 

Select two jungle cock feathers just shorter than the hot orange hackle and trim the fluff from the stem.

Tie them in one at a time forming a V over the top of the body of the fly.  Sloping out the way slightly.

Whip finish and apply some varnish to the head.

Slide the extra small conehead onto the liner tube and apply a dab of super glue to the head.

Push the cone onto the head of the fly and hold it there for a few seconds until the glue takes hold.  Be extra careful not to use too much glue or else either the hackle will end up sucking up the glue or the glue will seep out from the front of the cone and you’ll get your fingers stuck.  Then take the fly off the vice and trim the liner tubing until about 2mm protrudes from the front of the cone.

Burr the end of the tubing with your lighter and make sure that there is still an opening to get the Nylon through and that’s you finished. 

And there are the three little pigs!

Enjoy!  :z16 :z15

Only a few weeks and they'll be getting a swim.

Cheers

Matt

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 16/01/2010 at 22:14 »
Hi Matt :cool:
Excellent step by step ..... Thanks for posting! :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 17/01/2010 at 22:22 »
Nice Salmon flies as per usual Matt   :z16

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 18/01/2010 at 20:15 »
Nice Salmon flies as per usual Matt   :z16

Iain

I'm keech at trout flies so it has to be Salmon flies.  It was however an attempt to get some other people to tie some flies for the comp.  You must have some stuff  on the vice you could put on the thread?

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 18/01/2010 at 20:25 »
Aye, I'm working on it Matt but you're right, where's all the others?

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #6 on: 18/01/2010 at 20:48 »
Ben_D is a noteable absentee.  It's a bit surprising that I got in first on the 17th of the month.  But then maybe everybody else is like you and practising and practising and going to sneak it in at the end of the month.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #7 on: 18/01/2010 at 22:08 »
I will be home a week today and will rustle up something  :wink

Irvine Ross

« Reply #8 on: 19/01/2010 at 20:31 »
Here’s proof that a fly doesn’t have to be complicated to tie to be a good fish catcher. This is Bob Wyatt’s dirty duster and they don’t come much easier to tie than this.

Materials:
Hook – Kamasan B100N in sizes 12 – 18
Thread – Grey 8/0
Dubbing – Fly Rite extra fine poly No 26 Adams grey
Hackle – silver badger

Tie on thread and wind in touching turns well round the bend.

If you hold the tag end of the thread up as you wind it will help it to lie in tight touching turns.

Wind on a thin spindle of dubbing tapering outwards away from the hook so that it will form a tapered body

Wind the dubbing up the body, keeping it slim
Stop leaving enough room for several turns of the hackle

Strip the fluff from the base of a silver badger hackle

Tie in with the upper side facing you

Take the hackle in the hackle pliers and wind in touching turns each one just in front of the last

Stop leaving enough room for the head, tie off and snip off the hackle tip

Form a small head and whip finish

Take your scissors and trim off all the hackle points below the hook shank so the body will sit in the water

And that's it

The view from above

Iain Goolager

« Reply #9 on: 19/01/2010 at 20:40 »
 :z16 nice tye Irvine

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: 20/01/2010 at 02:53 »
Nice work Matt and Irvine :z16

Good flies and good SBS's

I'm gonna show you all how to tie my most effective and notorious fly :z16
Its one of my personal favourites and has accounted for more  Rainbows than i could ever remember
As well as well over a dozen doubles, in the size shown :z16

Hook: Charles jardine living nymph - red size 16
Head: Wapsi tungsten bead in nickel - size 3/32"

Take the hook and de-barb it :z16 (you have too to get the bead on :wink)

Slide in the bead over the hook point and return to vice

Add a drop of super glue or epoxy whatever is your poison to the concave side of bead

Take a piece of Braid and clean out the eye, before the glue dries :wink

The finished fly :z16 Fish it on a slow Fo8 retrieve as the point fly on a team of buzzers, or on its own. watch the tip of the line for takes on the drop.

Please try it, it DOES work :z18

Sandy

Matt Henderson

« Reply #11 on: 20/01/2010 at 07:42 »
nice work Sandy and Irvine. 

Stuart Smith

« Reply #12 on: 24/01/2010 at 02:44 »
nice with the silver bead

i tye one with a red hook and a little red glister dubbing for the thorax

works very well

will make a few with the bead

stuart

Matt Henderson

« Reply #13 on: 26/01/2010 at 15:58 »
only another five days to get your entry in!

Barry Robertson

« Reply #14 on: 26/01/2010 at 19:06 »
Some nice flies there Matt & Irvine  :z18
Your step by steps are getting better each fly Matt and the photography is looking good  :wink
Good work chaps  :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com