Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Re: A bit of fun...can you identify this?
« Reply #30 on: 09/12/2009 at 20:45 »
Anyone know what they taste like  :z13

Aye

Robs Mate  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

:z18

Jim

stickleback

« Reply #31 on: 09/12/2009 at 21:09 »
Doh !  I walked into that one  :oops :z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #32 on: 09/12/2009 at 21:39 »
Jim

How do you know they taste like Rob's mate  :shock

:z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy

Jim Eddie

« Reply #33 on: 10/12/2009 at 06:31 »
Jim

How do you know they taste like Rob's mate  :shock

:z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy

Touche  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

:z18

Jim

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #34 on: 10/12/2009 at 08:27 »
Hooray..it is indeed a Rays Bream or Brama brama.

And for once I did know what it was straight off as I have seen them caught many years ago off of Pakefield and Corton beaches.  :z16

They seem to be spread pretty far and wide, including down in NZ where they form a large by product of the deep sea fishing.

Normally they are found in deep water but at this time of year head up from around the spanish coast and end up around sweden and the likes, presumably following some form of baitfish or krill.

So, who is up for trying to get on on the fly....lol

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #35 on: 10/12/2009 at 08:47 »
Oh, and I have no idea what my mate tastes like... :shock

He never cooked the fish, but fed it to the cat. Turns out he had tried to return the fish, but it kept coming to the surface and swam around on its side in circles. The waves kept pushing it back onto the beach so he though it kinder to chap it on the head rather than let it get pounded by the ocean.

A bit of research on t'internet revealed that many of those caught die pretty quickly. Maybe because they are a deep water species?

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #36 on: 12/12/2009 at 13:02 »
Found this on a sea fishing forum i am a member of....http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220910

:z16

GARYBOY

« Reply #37 on: 12/12/2009 at 19:12 »
wonder if the ashvale does it with chips  :z4 :z4

Paul Rankine

« Reply #38 on: 13/12/2009 at 18:34 »
Hi ,
      Aye, it's a Rays Bream . They are not a deep water species but a pelagic warm water (semi - tropical )one. We used to get lots of them handed into the Marine Lab from Nov to Feb each year. They get caught in the warm water gyres coming out of the Med and become entrained in the North Atlantic Drift  up the west coast and find themselves in the cold North sea . Also probably up the south east coast and into the North Sea that way too in the North Sea countercirculation.

The warm water gyre eventually loses it's battle trying to heat the North Sea and the water temperature surrounding the fish eventually drops making the fish torpid , as all fish all poikilothermic (! -  :z4).
There are always quite a few washed ashore because of this each year.

Like all sea bream they are very nice to eat , providing it's fresh enough . Of interest is the fact that many of them have a large worm parasite in them which the Spanish regard as a great delicacy. MMMM . :wink

Pass on that I think .

Paul.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com