Materials
Hook - size 10 Fulling Mill short shank special
Thread - UTC Fl Chartreuse 70
Rib - UTC Med mirage opal tinsel
Counter rib - x small Chartreuse Wire
Body - 2 strands of natural peacock herl
Tail - Feather fibres from a dark coloured Hen cape
Hackle - Dyed Chartreuse Jungle cock tip

1. Place hook in the vice and catch in the thread, catch in fibres for tail and tie in untill the thread hangs in line with the point of the hook.
 Return thread back up to just behind the eye.

2. Tie in the counter rib first ( Chartreuse wire) and run down to the point of the hook again, return thread back to just below the eye. Tie in the main rib ( Mirage tinsel ) and run down to the point of the hook again, return thread back to just below the eye.

3. Tie in 2 strands of natural peacock herl at the eye and run down to the point of the hook again, return thread back to just below the eye.

4. Spin the 2 strands of herl close together all the way up to below the eye to form the body, secure with thread.

5. Rib the body firstly clockwise with the mirage tinsel to below the eye and secure tinsel with the tying thread.

6. Rib the body anti clock wise with the X small Chartreuse wire to below the eye and secure with tying thread.
 This in time will save the fly from falling to bits once its pulled out a few of Mikes troot  :wink.

7. Select a piece of dyed Chartreuse Jungle cock tip from your cape. Remove one side of the hackle to keep it from getting over hackled and it will cloak the fly nicer.

8. Tie the hackle in as follows, then cut off the wee tip above the eye of the hook.

9. I normally give it 1 and a half turns of the hackle, then secure with the thread.

10. Whip finish fly and apply some Sally hansen to the head and job complete.

Tight lines
Baz.
 :z18

Andy Macbog

Re: Chartreuse Cruncher Variant - Step by step
« Reply #1 on: 01/12/2009 at 21:30 »
Mmm,

Not quite my colours but a pretty good SBS and I liked the wee tip about ribbing with the wire over the tinsel.  Must do that myself because as well as the strength it must give the fly a bit more texture and flash?

Good of you to take the time as I am sure it will be especially useful for beginners.  Have you thought about sticking it elsewhere since you've taken the trouble?

Andy

Barry Robertson

Re: Chartreuse Cruncher Variant - Step by step
« Reply #2 on: 01/12/2009 at 22:20 »
Thanks for the kind words Andy  :z18
I added the Step by step to another forum also  :wink

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com