Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Re: December "step by step" fly tying competition entries
« Reply #30 on: 27/12/2009 at 12:25 »
Now you're talking,
will give these a try when I get home later tonight, will have to see if I've suitable hooks for wee river lures patterns.

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #31 on: 28/12/2009 at 11:47 »
those are really nice sandy.   :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #32 on: 28/12/2009 at 15:18 »
Cheers matt :z18

It took a lot of failed attempts to get them right :roll
I just couldn't see the problem until one of the Aussies on a forum told me to take the material i thought i needed and use a third of it.
EYE opener or what :shock. In retrospect its just what i've done for years with trout flies (sometimes to extremes :wink) So it figures that it should work for all styles.
Might be an interesting experiment for salmon flies too :cool:

Now i've my thinking cap on for January :z3

Sandy

Barry Robertson

« Reply #33 on: 29/12/2009 at 11:03 »
Nice flies Sandy   :z16

Paul Rankine

« Reply #34 on: 30/12/2009 at 16:47 »
Hi Sandy,
              I think if you saw the amount of angst (!) this weather is causing us ..
We had -5 in Ellon last night , about 4 inches of snow and we can't get fishing.

My eldest is in Milwaukee and he has three feet of snow , -17 C daytime , as he says we don't know the half of of it.

I (like everyone)  is thinking , heh, nice beach , nae snaw , God I wish I was there.!

I guess the grass is always greener .

I do envy your access to the saltwater fishing though !

I think it was a guy in Rhode Island who taught me how to tie striper flies who said a similar thing about reducing the wing material to about the diameter of a pencil and then use it for three flies , that was on 3/0,s.

I,ve scanned some of my little fry lures , not SBS , and dunno how they will look on site  , sorry Mike .
Might be best to "save as " and blow them up on an image editor .

All the best for the New Year .

PS: The scanner seems to have made them look a lot more solid and not as transparent as they really are. No flash either.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #35 on: 30/12/2009 at 18:05 »
Hey Paul,

Nice collection of flies there!

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #36 on: 30/12/2009 at 22:41 »
Nice ties there Paul and i am sure they would work well for rainbows if fished as fry patterns :wink
Thanks for sharing anyway  :z18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #37 on: 31/12/2009 at 15:41 »
Nice flies Paul

What size are they? Interesting colour combo's too. Lots of things to try  :z18

The pencil thing sounds about right, if i put all the material for 3x size 3/0 Ghosts together and rolled it up it would be about the thickness of a pencil.
Hard to gauge at first but once you get it , its really cool :z3

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #38 on: 01/01/2010 at 17:14 »
Hi folks
Firstly, I'd like to thank everybody once again for some great December "step by steps" ....... Excellent stuff :z16

I have chosen a winner from the December entries, a fly that will surely get folk experimenting at the vice :z3  

The winner for December is ......... Sandy "spiderman" for his Ghost flies :cool:  

I've started a new thread for the January entries and I'm really looking forward to seeing what everybody comes up with! :wink  

Thanks once again
Best wishes
Mike

PS: Well done Sandy! Please drop me a PM when you get a chance and let me know which prize you would like to choose and if you're paying the postage to Brunei! :z4

Iain Goolager

« Reply #39 on: 01/01/2010 at 17:23 »
Well Done Sandy!  :z16

You'll be able to tell your Aussie forum mates that you've just won 1st place in a major Uk fly tying competition. :wink

Iain :z3

Paul Rankine

« Reply #40 on: 01/01/2010 at 18:54 »
Hi Sandy,
              Thanks for that.

Congrats on winning the comp. :z4

The hooks are size 10 Partridge Big Mouth Nymph hooks. The large gape of the hook gives a prominent
" keel "and allows the flies to swim nicely. I tie them from 4/0 down to size 14 (but I would,nt use them at that wire gauge for SW  :wink). Plenty other alternatives for that.

Barry,
        Yes , they are very good on rainbows (and for large brownies too particularly in the smaller sizes and with an eye on resident baitfish re colour combinations) . Mixing up some flash , holo fusion , angel hair ,flashabou etc, etc, in the wing makes some very attractive wee flies. I also tie them in up in size 12 BM doubles for sea trout with silver bodies, black wing with blue crystal flash through, very simple but effective.

Sandy, you are obviously identifying and imitating local prey species ,( re transparency - ghost flies etc,) . Have you tried any bendback patterns yet ?

All the Best for the Noo year.

Paul.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #41 on: 02/01/2010 at 01:03 »
Cool :z3 I have not won a flytying thing for years
too much fun on the other side of the desk, so to speak.

Thanks Mike :z18

Paul I have yet to try the bendback style, but it's coming :grin
 :z12

sandy

Barry Robertson

« Reply #42 on: 03/01/2010 at 15:07 »
Congrats Sandy for a great SBS, well done  :z18

Irvine Ross

« Reply #43 on: 04/01/2010 at 08:31 »
Sandy

Congratulations :z18

Excellent tying and great photography as usual.

Cheers
Irvine

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #44 on: 05/01/2010 at 13:54 »
Thanks guys

Its keeping me sane :z6

Must say though Irvine, i think the best photos so far are the ones you did for November.
What did you use?

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com